Wall charger for US etron

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, regarding the location of the charging port, when I use my portable charger, I plug it in from the back, route my 20 ft long charging cable to the front, close the hatch with the unit securely inside, and recharge that way. No need for multiple charge ports in my opinion.

5x112":347i5j4w said:
Also, regarding the location of the charging port, when I use my portable charger, I plug it in from the back, route my 20 ft long charging cable to the front, close the hatch with the unit securely inside, and recharge that way. No need for multiple charge ports in my opinion.

I don't quite visualize how you do this. Are you plugging in the charger to the wall, putting the unit inside your trunk area, and then routing the cable out a front door window to the front of the car?

I am plugging the charging unit with 110 cord into a wall outlet near the hatch, (or running a 110 extension cord into the hatch and plugging it into the charging unit). Then I plug the charging cable into the front of the car, while the two cords (110 and charging) hang out the back, and close the hatch. 110 charging is done on road trips, because 220 plugs are never avail. I have a 2nd charging unit I plug into the 220 wall outlet permanantly with a 20 ft cord that reaches the front charging port.

My question is... is there a real advantage in using an EVSE? Or is it a convenience/cable length issue? I was lucky that my former coworker/electrician came over and installed an outlet in my garage which just happens to be on the opposite side of the wall from the breaker box. When I asked how much he said "well I spent $40 on parts", so I gave him $100 (and wondered if it should have been more). Anyway, the portable charger works fine at my house and I am very happy how quick it is. I can charge twice a day or more, perhaps. On the other hand, the Chargepoint EVSE looks very interesting. It's small, and it connects to NEST and will tell you your usage. I don't have a NEST, but may have to get one. Also Clipper Creek says that the Federal tax credit expires in 4 days. I guess this is a question of need vs want.

I'm confused about putting in an outlet. One of the cables that came with the car has a NEMA 6-50 plug, which is 50 Amps, 250 Volts. the little chart in the owner's manual says that the Control Unit draws 16 Amps with 240 Volts. I had an electrician out and he was leery of using a 50 Amp breaker as he thought that if there was a problem the control unit could get fried. He thought that the control unit was outputting 16 Amps and possibly drawing more. to meet code, the wire has to be in conduit.

page 102 of the manual says "Using NEMA sockets with a current rating of at least 30 A or industrial sockets in accordance with IEC 60309 when charging is recommended."

Any recommendations on what size breaker to use here?

thanks

emerx":2n6lux5d said:
I'm confused about putting in an outlet. One of the cables that came with the car has a NEMA 6-50 plug, which is 50 Amps, 250 Volts. the little chart in the owner's manual says that the Control Unit draws 16 Amps with 240 Volts. I had an electrician out and he was leery of using a 50 Amp breaker as he thought that if there was a problem the control unit could get fried. He thought that the control unit was outputting 16 Amps and possibly drawing more. to meet code, the wire has to be in conduit.

page 102 of the manual says "Using NEMA sockets with a current rating of at least 30 A or industrial sockets in accordance with IEC 60309 when charging is recommended."

thanks

We put it in 20 amp breaker (we currently have 220 volt box because of electric dryer) with a NEMA 6-50 outlet.

emerx":2eafjfaj said:

thanks

New 2017 A3 e-tron owner in the US here.

My brother came to my house and installed a NEMA 6-50 socket to a 30 amp breaker in the box. We used #8 gauge wire, which is rated up to 32 amps at 240 volts. It helps that the breaker box and the outlet are both in the garage (if the cable run is greater than 50 feet long, you'll need wire with a lower gauge). We also labeled the outlet with a warning that the outlet is only on a 30 amp breaker (this is more for the next owner of the house; in case they have other equipment, like a welder or compressor, so they don't overload the circuit).

Since the e-tron charger only draws 16 amps it is more than enough capacity, and being able to fully charge the battery in about 2.5 hours instead of 7.5 hours has been great. Plus a utility outlet like that in the garage might make the house more attractive to certain buyers in the future.

I've just got a level 2 socket installed (240v? 220v?, anyway it was $425) and now the Audi EVSE defaults to 50%, per a comment in the manual that it does by default for "industrial sockets". Why is this? Since my socket is dedicated for charging my car and nothing else, is there any harm changing it to 100% power? Thanks!

I had an electrician install a 30A circuit and a NEMA 10-30 dryer plug. The charger comes with the NEMA 50 plug and he won't allow me to change this as he says it is against the code. has anyone had a Canadian electrician approve of the 30A circuit with the 50A receptacle?

I ended up with a 50 Amp 240 volt breaker. This is what my electrician decided was safest. He ran conduit from the breaker box near the garage door to the back wall near the front of the car. Charges up in 2hours +15 minutes. Not a long run, basically the length of the car.

emerx":1dboxxg3 said:

thanks

Bought all the parts from Lowes and Home Depot, then had a neighbour who is an electrician install it for me.
The main things he looked for was if my panel had space and could support the setup.
Those cleared and for the price of a 2/4 he was finished in about 15 mins.
The total cost of all the parts was about $100-$120 because I bought outdoor cable even though I only run to the attached garage. Would've been about $30 less I figure, but it was all that Lowes had at the time.

Back