Wall charger for US etron

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big price difference and you can use it with any chargesr (in case you get a different one) including public ones. seems like a good product based on amazon reviews

I am looking at the 8V4 915 706B WallBrackt directly from Audi Germany, supplied by Audi USA. This is a plexiglass housing for the portable charger supplied for the vehicle. The WallBrackt is not a Charger!. You need to install it on the wall, wire it, and then install your portable charger in this housing. If you decide to take your portable charger with you, you have to de-install it from the Brackt. BIG pain. Plus it does not come with a longer charge cable, which means you loose many feet from the charging source because its on the wall. Buy an aftermarket wall charger and keep your portable unit handy to take with you in the vehicle.

I got a wall bracket/ charging dock housing with my car. I don't want it or need it. If anyone wants to buy it.. I'll sell it for a few hundred.. make me an offer!. It is only the wallbracket. Does not have charging cables, or the control unit. The wallbracket secures the control unit that comes with the car in a lockable cabinet.
A3-plugs-848x600.jpg

Just installed a NEMA 6-50 exterior outlet, on a new 50 amp breaker, but my electrician who came to check over everything is concerned that if the spec on the Audi charging cord is for 30 Amps, is there a chance that it will overheat the wire by pulling 50 amps instead of 30? We had decided to go bigger on the breaker in case down the road newer EVs (including Tesla I believe) need 50 Amps. Any electricians out there know if this is an issue we should be concerned about?

I am not an electrician, but it is my understanding that the charger (which is built into the car) determines the current drawn, not the charging cable (EVSE) or the wiring the EVSE is connected to. The wiring needs to exceed the maximum current draw of the car's charger.

Using the AUdi supplied EVSE, the car (charger itself) determines the actual charging current based on the maximum current available which is determined by the input cable to the EVSE, either 10A or 16A.

I wanted to share my solution on this box issue. First let me tell you that I have used 110 V to charge my A3, since the charging only takes about 7 hours, which is perfect for us between 11PM to 6 AM. I brought the electrical line close to garage door (outside, where A3 parks during night time) and put a switch first, and then hung the charger on the wall. Then, I put a hole into the wall and took the charger cable to the outside, inside a mailbox, which I bought at OSH. The whole cable nicely fits into the mailbox, and protects from rain, etc. Also, since I have a switch on the electrical outlet, I can turn the charger on and off as I see the need for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/5a85kdkxyuih ... Go5-pCwYya

I am pretty happy with how my set up has turned out, but it wasn't cheap. It was about $140 for all the materials from Home Depot (exterior 220 plug with cover, 25' of wire, 50 amp breaker, assorted conduit etc) plus $390 to have my electrician install a new sub panel and hook everything up.
But it is working well, and I also rigged up a very inexpensive holder for my charger in the garage with two coated tool hooks from the hardware store (cost: $3.00).
See images below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbl1xxuttidnaf4/Photo Sep 18, 10 54 24 AM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnvq5xi8ojobmfr/Photo Sep 18, 10 55 24 AM.jpg?dl=0

I'm using a new 110 dedicated outlet at an outside driveway. I looked into mailboxes as well, but found a rugged plastic storage bin was just as good. I'll likely look into a permanent solution once we drop 200 amps into the house.

In the meantime, I'm considering getting a second charger with much longer cables, to keep in the car for use at work. Less expensive if it is stolen, and would allow back-in parking. I wish Audi would put the plug in the rear of the vehicle.

Montpeliervt":259aw9g2 said:
I am pretty happy with how my set up has turned out, but it wasn't cheap. It was about $140 for all the materials from Home Depot (exterior 220 plug with cover, 25' of wire, 50 amp breaker, assorted conduit etc) plus $390 to have my electrician install a new sub panel and hook everything up.
But it is working well, and I also rigged up a very inexpensive holder for my charger in the garage with two coated tool hooks from the hardware store (cost: $3.00).
See images below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbl1xxuttidnaf4/Photo Sep 18, 10 54 24 AM.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnvq5xi8ojobmfr/Photo Sep 18, 10 55 24 AM.jpg?dl=0

That's about what I figured it would cost. I actually had an electrician quote me $1500 (or $1100 if I was a service plan member). He said he could do it for around $700 but I wouldn't get a "guarantee". My comment was isn't the code the guarantee? Needless to say, I'll find another electrician.

BTW, I like your hooks holding the charger to the wall.

sugarsmax":3facvev1 said:
I'm using a new 110 dedicated outlet at an outside driveway. I looked into mailboxes as well, but found a rugged plastic storage bin was just as good. I'll likely look into a permanent solution once we drop 200 amps into the house.

In the meantime, I'm considering getting a second charger with much longer cables, to keep in the car for use at work. Less expensive if it is stolen, and would allow back-in parking. I wish Audi would put the plug in the rear of the vehicle.

I like it on the front as I pull directly in to park. I guess they can't please everyone (maybe two charging ports?).

I also like the front, as that's where the 220v circuit is in my garage. Multiple ports would indeed be the only way to suit everyone, and that would cost more, which would please no one.

I decided on the Clipper Creek Level 2 EVSE installed by my electrician. I like that Clipper Creek lists the standards it is compliant with, including UL and NEC article 625. I got the "plug-in" version of the home charger, which uses the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Been using it at home for about 10 months now.

Sometimes we use the bundled Audi portable charger at work as there is a 110 volt line available in the parking garage.

ClipperCreek%20etron.jpg

rossman":nclf5w8g said:
I decided on the Clipper Creek Level 2 EVSE installed by my electrician. I like that Clipper Creek lists the standards it is compliant with, including UL and NEC article 625. I got the "plug-in" version of the home charger, which uses the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Been using it at home for about 10 months now.

Sometimes we use the bundled Audi portable charger at work as there is a 110 volt line available in the parking garage.

Nice! What did your electrician charge for installation? I had some guy quote me $1500 to install a 220 outlet about 20 feet from our breaker box. Uh, yeah....I'll call you back. ;)

rfortson":21f8ulbe said:
Nice! What did your electrician charge for installation? I had some guy quote me $1500 to install a 220 outlet about 20 feet from our breaker box. Uh, yeah....I'll call you back. ;)
My electrician charged $175 including all parts (breaker, wires, nema socket, etc), but it was only located one foot from the breaker box.

rossman":dxicrz6x said:
rfortson":dxicrz6x said:
My electrician charged $175 including all parts (breaker, wires, nema socket, etc), but it was only located one foot from the breaker box.

So I guess my guy was charging me $1325 for that remaining 19 feet of copper. ;)

I am looking for an Audi Charging dock. Saw that 5-112 had one. Let me know if its still
available.

The Audi box, aka wall bracket, is a $751.43 part according to Audi West Island, near Montreal. The part number they gave me is 8V4915706B. If you want a second charging unit to leave in the box and keep one in your car, its cost is 1712.18, plus a cable to plug in the car for 160.80 .

I sold my wall charging box. Sorry. I would never have bought one. I wrote it into the deal when I ordered my car 2 years ago. It just doesn't make sense to spend over $2500 to buy a Audi/Bosch charging unit, cable, and wall charging box when you you can get an after market unit with everything for $500. Also. I put 220 outlet adjacent to my garage-based breaker box for the cost of the outlet, breaker, and 1ft of wire from home depot. It's not that complicated.

Back