Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wall charger for US etron
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:13 pm 

My audi dealer seems confused about the wall charger for the etron in the US. They sent me to a solar company (that had no idea what type of wall charger to use) and to Bosch (who just called up a local electrician). Does anyone know if there is a wall mounted charger and where to get an install manual so I can choose my own electrician to install?

Post subject: Re: Wall charger for US etron
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 pm 

I have seen a neat and pretty receptacle for the charging box provided with the car. Audi should be able to have it for you. It just hold the box it a fancy manner.

You could buy 3rd party wall mount charger... Look for your local EV association, they should know where to find one, they may even have deals on somes.

But ultimately, all you need is an additional nema (dryer) outlet. Any electrician will be able to help you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:19 pm 

Where do I start? That cabinet is a shell that can house the charger that is included with every e-tron. NO ONE KNOWS WHO IS SELLING THEM AND AT WHAT PRICE. A call to Audi USA told me to call Bosch. I called Bosch and they said it is sold by Audi. Everybody is clueless including Audi headquarters and its network of dealers.

As far as outlet, you can use a regular outlet. However, to minimize charging time to as little as 2 hours and 15 minutes, you will need 240V 20Amp NEMA 6-50 outlet. The outlet pictured below is the WRONG outlet for the Audi charger. Again you need a NEMA 6-50 (Google it). We have an electric dryer connected to an electrical box with spare breaker space. I installed a dedicated 20AMP breaker specifically for this NEMA 6-50 outlet.

Last edited by bruintoo on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:18 am 

What you need is the Audi part number. I'll try and get hold of it over here, assuming that it would be suitable for all markets. I picked up a 16A single phase (IEC 60309) power cable for the Audi EVSE so that I could use a 16A supply in my garage. Audi supply the three phase variant as well as the normal domestic 13A plug variant as standard in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:35 am 

Out of interest, what cables come with the Audi EVSE in North America?

The input cable to the EVSE has a socket like the one shown below, providing for both low and high(er) current inputs.

There is a restive element incorporated into the "Link" shown above:

16A 2P + E Blue commando plug (IEC-60309) Link resistance = 1.195k ohm
16A 3P + N + E Red commando plug (IEC-60309) Link resistance = 1.195k ohm
13A 2P + E Standard UK 13A Plug (BS 1363/A) Link resistance = 2.69k ohm

This is believed to be the factor which will determine whether the Audi Charging system limits its input to 10A or 16A (European version)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:07 am 

Here in Canada my Audi charger (EVSE) came with 2 cables, the standard 120v Nema 5-15, and a 240v Nema 6-50P (not a dryer plug, this has 2 hot and 1 ground, no neutral). The Audi EVSE is rated for 16 Amps and I have installed a Nema 6-50R with a 20 Amp breaker and it's working great. Charges from empty to full in about 2 hours. interestingly the EVSE has 2 modes 50% and 100% and both settings will charge the car in about the same time ?

Regarding the Audi Wallbox, I asked the dealer several weeks ago but so far they haven't been able to find a part number for me... Weird since they have one installed in their repair bay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:43 pm 

Thanks for the replies. My experience was Audi sent me to Bosch, Bosch sent me to a local electrician. I know a master electrician who I trust to charge me a fair price that I'd like to use rather than the local electrician they selected. He looked at the posts here and is going to quote me to do the job.

Anyone had luck buying the wall panel or recommend a 3rd party wall charger?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:00 pm 

mdvolkjr wrote:
Thanks for the replies. My experience was Audi sent me to Bosch, Bosch sent me to a local electrician. I know a master electrician who I trust to charge me a fair price that I'd like to use rather than the local electrician they selected. He looked at the posts here and is going to quote me to do the job.

Here's my setup. I have a dedicated 220/240V 20Amp line to this NEMA 6-50 outlet:

Here's the Audi charger just laying there:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:02 pm 

Looks good. I am having the plus installed and just a small shelf to keep the portable charger off the ground.

bruintoo wrote:
mdvolkjr wrote:

Here's my setup. I have a dedicated 220/240V 20Amp line to this NEMA 6-50 outlet:

Here's the Audi charger just laying there:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:39 am 

Just had a check on ETKA and found the relevant information for the Audi Wall Bracket Charger unit.
I believe that the complete unit (#15 in diagram) is Part number: '8V4915706A' but your local Audi dealer could confirm.

If you search online you can see that it may cost approximately $400 or €484

http://etka.cc/audi/part_single/catalog/au/markt/RDW/modell/A3/year/2015/drive_standart/745/hg_ug/971/subcategory/971060/part_id/288497