Longest EV miles in one charge?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruintoo

Now that we are heading into spring, what kind of EV miles are e-troners getting in a single charge? My longest all electric miles in one charge is 24 miles all in one trip. Temperature outside is mid-60s F. I snapped the photo early at 23.9 miles.

80-img_9465_7d72a51d3a3d16e64d1642cd67aef6258024d090.jpg

No pictures but 22.2 miles/35.7 km on EV. Mostly on a highway in traffic (OBC says average speed of 31 mph/50 kph). Some minor hills.

Temps in the mid '50's F, around 12ºC.

Forgot to mention - drive select set to auto.

That's with a US market Ultra. Driver only, no passengers, no cargo - not even the charger.

(Interesting that in preview mode and once submitted, the word "charger" links to an Amazon page and "Amazon" links to their site. I didn't create either link).

What is the most efficient use for EV. Slower city driving or highway cruising? I have a 20km commute (each way), usually about 5km city, 15km highway. Curious how it's going to be, though my e-tron won't be arriving for another 3 months.

Why does the literature say 31 miles. Clearly bogus, or for a different etron than I was sold. I get low 20's too... although it's nearer 18 when you actually drive.

Still works out OK for me but kind of ridiculous that they publish 31.

-Adrian

Not the first specs ridicusly high in europe.

The e-tron was specced at 18 miles in north america....

@stubbsz - In the US market, 31 miles per full charge was Audi's August '15 marketing claim. They did say that was an estimate and that the EPA hadn't released their numbers.

Since then (and before E-trons were released for sale in the US) the EPA numbers came out. Those are 16-17 miles of EV range (with the ultra getting 17 and the stock E-tron getting 16).

That's based on European test standards which is ridiculously not achievable; like you have to be driving in a vacuum going downhill or something ;)
stubbsz":36o3jm5e said:
Why does the literature say 31 miles. Clearly bogus, or for a different etron than I was sold. I get low 20's too... although it's nearer 18 when you actually drive.

Still works out OK for me but kind of ridiculous that they publish 31.

-Adrian

I was able to get 25 miles last weekend in Chicago when the outdoor temperature was 60F and I did ~80% highway driving

I'm getting about 20 to 25 kM (12 to 16 miles) per charge, driving in temps of 7 to 10C (about 50F) in the city with some hills. I have noticed when I'm driving on flatter roads, with few slow downs, that I was on my way to getting close to 30kM.

Not an owner yet but I am considering this car. I would like owners to indicate the total EV range they achieve with climate control (especially heat) OFF. With any EV or plug-in hybrid running with ICE off, if the climate system is heating incoming air, miles traveled on a charge will be significantly reduced.

If you post EV range with climate control on, please indicate what your climate settings are and external temperature. Thanks!

@dr61, I am happy to provide you with feedback, but bear in mind that the climate control is powered by the 12V system (electronics), while heating can be provided by the ICE when it has been running and cooling is always provided by the HV battery.

Naturally in EV mode, once any pre-conditioning has been achieved, subsequent climate control is provided by the HV battery.

Over the past two winters I have achieved EV ranges of about 14-25 miles with the CC off. In Summer I have achieved a maximum of about 21-33 miles with the CC off. The variations in both cases are largely due to road type and terrain as I have been looking to achieve max range.

I hope this helps and maybe encourages you to look into the e-tron further. I have been very satisfied with mine over the past 14 months and continue to appreciate the whole e-tron package every time I drive it. One of the best aspects I have found, acknowledging that others may have had some serious faults, is the way that the electric drive and ICE drive have been integrated with the triple clutch gearbox to provide a near perfect driving experience.

26.2 miles/42.2km - i.e., an EV marathon... :D

OBC prediction was 26 miles. Route was mostly on a highway in traffic (OBC says average speed of 29 mph/50 kph). Some minor hills and stop an go.

Temps around 50ºF - 12ºC, 80ºF - 27ºC, and 73ºC - 23ºC (variation is due to multiple trips over the course of the day).

Drive select on auto.

Driver only, no passengers, no cargo

estrong":18wmiyn2 said:
26.2 miles/42.2km - i.e., an EV marathon... :D

OBC prediction was 26 miles. Route was mostly on a highway in traffic (OBC says average speed of 29 mph/50 kph). Some minor hills and stop an go.

Temps around 50ºF - 12ºC, 80ºF - 27ºC, and 73ºC - 23ºC (variation is due to multiple trips over the course of the day).

Drive select on auto.

Driver only, no passengers, no cargo

Nice driving! You beat the EPA EV range by 10 miles. Do you recall your climate settings?

@dr61 - pre-heated in the morning to 67ºF, 19.5ºC.

Later in the day I dropped the setting to "Lo" with the a/c turned off to get ambient temperature air.

I exceeded the claimed 31 mile range yesterday! At least theoretically.
Ideal conditions, 24c and I kept my speed below 60mph.

My journey home was 24.2 miles and range remaining was 8 miles. If we assume the range was at the bottom end of 8 (it wasn't, it had only just clicked over to 8) that's still over 31.

This morning my start range was shown as 30 but I only achieved about 26 since I was driving half the distance at 70mph.

My daily one way commute's 10.6 miles (17km), 30 minutes, no highway, generally flat. I use about half the charge (based on the meter indicator), range says I have 12 miles left.

I did 16 miles today with total passenger weight under 400 lbs (181kg), climbing lots of hills, traffic light stops (on hills), road speed limit ranged from 30-50 mph. Also had the AC on. Range indicator after that trip said 0 miles.

Temp was around 70F (21C).

If I don't go on trips outside of my city, I'm pretty sure I can get at least 700+ miles till fuel indicator light.

The charge mode is kinda weird, the first 5 miles or so the mileage sucks (18-25 mpg). Then all of a sudden it kicks up to 29-30 mpg.

Nice commuter, I think I should have gone for a 3 year lease instead of 2 :|

Back