How do you warm up the gas engine?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sung

Even when I change to the hold charge mode, the gas engine doesn't start up. How do I warm it up in cold weather?

sung":2jbkj83p said:
Even when I change to the hold charge mode, the gas engine doesn't start up. How do I warm it up in cold weather?

Are you wanting to warm up the engine or the interior? You don't need the engine to heat up the interior as it is done with a heat pump. If you want to get the engine running then pulling the transmission lever backwards for sport mode does the trick.

Thanks. It was for just the engine running. So I start the car, put it in Hold charge, put it in sport mode and put it back in Park? It'll keep the gas engine running?

Hello Sung,

You can put it in Hybrid Hold or Charge Mode (if you have the first A3 e-tron only), and push the gas pedal.
It will activate the engine.

But after a few minutes, it will of course turn off and switch between the battery power and the fuel.

I've always assumed that if the car is plugged in then the engine is going to be kept at an acceptable operating temperature. Is there any real reason to warm up the engine if it's just been unplugged? Are you trying to warm it up when you've been parked somewhere cold with no charger available?

Thank you. The suggestions worked.

Sometimes I'm not home and I don't have any charge or a charger around. It's been pretty cold lately so I wanted the gas engine to warm up before I started driving. When the gas engine isn't warmed up, I get a burst of power when my car switches to gas engine from electric. Warming up the gas engine makes that transition smoother.

Back