Gasoline engine turns on unexpectedly

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarko

This morning (in realitvely warm, ~20 celsius degrees weather) - after years of reliable drive - my car (Audi a3 etron 2017) started to act weird. At full electric charge and in EV mode, after a short distance travel (100-200m) and a low acceleration the gasoline motor turned on immediately, changed to "battery hold" drive mode, and in the middle panel there was a warning: Drive: Engine required (translated from the original language, hungarian: "Hajtás: Motorműködés szükséges").
After a while (approx 1-2 km-s) the EV mode was available again and I could drive in EV mode ~30 km-s (without gasoline engine).
During the day i recharged the battery.
Afternoon i had a 2 km-s trip, andit all happened again.
Why is it happening? Is it a battery cell issue? What should i do?

This morning (in realitvely warm, ~20 celsius degrees weather) - after years of reliable drive - my car (Audi a3 etron 2017) started to act weird. At full electric charge and in EV mode, after a short distance travel (100-200m) and a low acceleration the gasoline motor turned on immediately, changed to "battery hold" drive mode, and in the middle panel there was a warning: Drive: Engine required (translated from the original language, hungarian: "Hajtás: Motorműködés szükséges").
After a while (approx 1-2 km-s) the EV mode was available again and I could drive in EV mode ~30 km-s (without gasoline engine).
During the day i recharged the battery.
Afternoon i had a 2 km-s trip, andit all happened again.
Why is it happening? Is it a battery cell issue? What should i do?
This has happened to us, too, in North America, but only every 3 months or so. We spent a good amount of money to have our local Audi USA dealership investigate, but they found nothing to explain the switch from EV only to battery hold. This appears to be ANOTHER Audi software issue that the company doesn’t care about, since we are now out of warranty, including our extended warranty.

Back