EV Drive switch 3 or 4 position

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 741

Hello,
I have 2017 Audi A3 e-tron.
I don't find EV drive switch the battery charge mode only Battery hold mode.
This is my second A3 e-tron. First car 2016 modell but have 4 position in Ev mode.
EV, EV Hybrid, Battery hold and Battery charge mode.
But now my 2017 modell car missing the EV battery charged position.
Can anyone say something about this problem?
Is it possible to solve this?
Thank you

Audi permanently removed the feature on newer models. Perhaps they felt it was a poor use of fossil fuels, since there was energy loss going into and out of the battery.

So does this mean there is no regen on these cars? Doesn’t seem to be a definite answer anywhere - I have 2020 pre facelift/revamp, ie before new infotainment. People say you can regen the battery using S mode in Dynamic mode but not in other modes- seems crazy that you have to use the most uneconomic way of driving to do this.

Battery charge mode has been discontinued on the e-tron facelift. It was also non existent in the first Q5 TFSIe as it was of poor efficiency (high pollution and consumption).
BUT, it made it back on the the A3 TFSIe.

Thanks I know the mode was removed but is there any regeneration at all?!?! Still has the green car diagram (goes green when braking etc)

Even the dealer wasn’t clear

Reason for the question is if its possible and not working or not possible

Regen works on our 2017 A3 Sportback e-tron by pressing the brakes. It is not our preferred method, which is one pedal operation, but it does work. Also, you can downshift to engage regen, but I am not certain that is as efficient as simply using the brakes. Audi did not believe that PHEV drivers would be comfortable moving from ICE-style to a new way of operating in a BEV, while many other manufacturers left the choice up to the owners with paddles to make regen choices.
We strongly prefer true regen which instantly engages when lifting off the accelerator, with the car coming to a complete stop on its own. True regen greatly extends brake pad life.

While you are running on EV only, you can move the shift lever to manual. The car will still change gears automatically (in EV mode) and you'll have one pedal operation with regen. I use it in stop and go traffic.

While you are running on EV only, you can move the shift lever to manual. The car will still change gears automatically (in EV mode) and you'll have one pedal operation with regen. I use it in stop and go traffic.
Thanks but this doesn’t work, just switches to manual. Seems there is a version of the car built 2020 UK version, that has no regeneration whatsoever ~ which seems a massive flaw given the same price. With real world battery, looking about 12-16 miles driving with no regeneration, despite the dashboard car diagrams suggesting it’s happening.

Be grateful if anyone with this model has this issue or a definitive answer yes or no. Reviews and even the manual for this model suggests it’s possible but not how to use it! Did they just take it off the car without changing any other aspect of the vehicle, then brought it back on the 2021 version which mechanically is the same car!

Regen exists with :
- braking
- Manual mode
- S mode
- S EV mode (only on 2015 model, unofficial mode likely due to a bug that I have published on YouTube and send to Audi).

While ICE is on, battery is charger a bit in battery Hold mode (but will deplete eventually) and charge battery mode on 2015 model.

Back