Why are 2017 etrons being held at port for update?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up my 2017 Premium base model and it only has USB and Aux input, no smartphone interface. I wasn't expecting one, since I did not select that package, but I still don't know why it was held at the port for a month?!?!

GoRSL":2u7iiaem said:
...so I asked the sales manager if they'd gotten an answer on my earlier enquiry of what held it up. His response was that they were told that there was some radiator issue that required replacement of the radiator at the port.
I've heard this from more than one source now, so I suspect it is true. The port delay had nothing to do with phone integration.

I understand that there were a number of e-trons built without the Audi Smartphone Interface. I don't know if it was a hiccup or a mistake, but the "fix" for those who were expecting what every 2017 Audi brochure and user guide promised is a $150 credit. Com'on man! It appears that many of these e-trons without the Audi Smartphone Interface are currently held up at the port because of a radiator issue. It also appears that the radiators are being fixed or replaced and the sold orders are being processed first. How many will be delivered to unsuspecting customers who will be very disappointed and perhaps even refuse delivery. I would.

Can anyone from Audi USA confirm that this has now been resolved? I would like to place an order for a January or February 2017 build, but want assurance that the Audi Smartphone Interface with Apple Carplay and Android Auto will not be "deleted". Audi has kept their dealer network in the dark so they have no idea what is going on so asking them or even Audi Chat will result only in frustration.

All tech package equipped e-trons built after week 45 will have CarPlay/AA. Those before won't. All prestige models have it regardless of build week. My premium plus arrived without it and I went for a prestige for not much more and glad I did for the driver assistance features.

Bartsimpson128":2v48sgs6 said:
All tech package equipped e-trons built after week 45 will have CarPlay/AA. Those before won't. All prestige models have it regardless of build week. My premium plus arrived without it and I went for a prestige for not much more and glad I did for the driver assistance features.

Thank you. I will be ordering a Prestige model as well. If you load up a Premium Plus with the upgraded sound system, the price differential is not that significant compared to the features that the Prestige include.

hello, new owner here, great car. I didn't even notice the lack of interface until I read the $150.00 credit on the sticker after I bought it. Definitely would have waited for a later build had I known. I don't suppose there is any retrofit path?

I doubt there is an upgrade path and I'm sure Audi wanted to be done with it. It's the main reason I held out for one with smartphone interface. Ironically, CarPlay is pretty clunky and buggy (audio cuts out if you accidentally press the speech dialog button; virtual cockpit disables google earth when navigating with Apple maps) but unlike the rest of the car, it will get upgraded with every iOS update. Siri is better than audi's speech system, Apple maps driving directions presentation is easier to read, and the music and podcast interface is better than MMI.

Bartsimpson128":uknfkcjp said:
I doubt there is an upgrade path and I'm sure Audi wanted to be done with it.

If Audi designed/built the 2017's the same way they did the 2016's that only have USB for power and an audio in and not the special Audi phone connection with dedicated cable, the upgrade "path" is to buy a new car with the right options.

estrong":3qusscr7 said:
Bartsimpson128":3qusscr7 said:
I doubt there is an upgrade path and I'm sure Audi wanted to be done with it.

If Audi designed/built the 2017's the same way they did the 2016's that only have USB for power and an audio in and not the special Audi phone connection with dedicated cable, the upgrade "path" is to buy a new car with the right options.

Except in some cases (including mine,) the "included option" was summarily missing and a small credit applied.

Mine had a Oct 15 build date and was shipped end of December and seems to have been held in San Diego port for some time. On the window sticker I also received the credit.

When I picked it up last night, I attached my iPhone via USB and was surprised to see Apple CarPlay. Maybe they fixed it at the port????

adhurdler":s81ehn8o said:
Mine had a Oct 15 build date and was shipped end of December and seems to have been held in San Diego port for some time. On the window sticker I also received the credit.

When I picked it up last night, I attached my iPhone via USB and was surprised to see Apple CarPlay. Maybe they fixed it at the port????

Well, I hope you pay back that credit right away!

Actually, it would be nice to get an explanation for this. If there is in fact a way to upgrade to this for those that "had" the option but got a credit for it as it was missing, then I would like to know.

Back