Tested out hybrid vs. hold vs. charge modes this weekend

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjanisch":2rtekltr said:
This topic I think is for the US only

On the first real road trip with the new car, I had depleted the battery and I wanted to test out MPGs of the different modes and this is what I found over 20 mile stretches:

Hybrid - 43mpg
Hold - 40mpg
Charge - 21mpg (with 4 miles of EV replenished)

With the drop in mpgs of going from hybrid to charge, I don't see why one would ever drive in charge for the measly amount of EV miles that it adds.

Thanks for taking the time to do this test. I've taken interest in the e-Tron as my next PHEV.
I've driven a Prius and Prius Plug-in for 12 and 5 years, respectively. Total of about 500,000 hybrid miles combined. Although the efficiency leader in hybrid tech, I'm not too keen on the latest Prius Prime, so I'm looking elsewhere. Prior to those I drove and Audi A4 and A4 cabriolet.

So, I don't see the need for a Battery Hold mode. Having that mode seems to complicate what could have been accomplished with only the EV and Hybrid modes. My thinking is EV mode could allow the car to run on grid charge (with some level of demand limitation before the ICE starts).
Hybrid mode could allow the car to run in hybrid mode (gas/electric), but preserve any grid charge (battery hold).
Wouldn't that be simpler to use and understand?

So that brings me to a question. What does the E-Tron do in its hybrid mode, when there is a remaining grid charge? Does hybrid mode use grid charge for its hybrid/electric operation?
And, inversely, does Battery Hold mode eliminate or reduce the use of hybrid-electric charge? (Charge that may have come from re-generation or hybrid generation)
Thus the lower gas mileage, indicated above, in Battery Hold mode .

When grid charge is depleted (or if the car was never plugged in), is there a difference in operation between Hybrid and Hold Battery modes ?

Watsongrg":f9cndige said:
When grid charge is depleted (or if the car was never plugged in), is there a difference in operation between Hybrid and Hold Battery modes ?

Not much. Hybrid Hold mode is more for urban areas (in Europe) where drivers are taxed for emissions. Drivers can charge/hold charge while on the freeway, and switch to EV in the city.

rfortson":3qpsnqk3 said:
Watsongrg":3qpsnqk3 said:

Not much. Hybrid Hold mode is more for urban areas (in Europe) where drivers are taxed for emissions. Drivers can charge/hold charge while on the freeway, and switch to EV in the city.

I use it that way since the car gets better mileage on the freeway vs surface streets. Holding and use EV off the freeway when I can. I have been seeing about 500-550 per tank including charging every night.

Audi literature seems to say that the battery gets depleted gradually in Hybrid mode. With a Prius or other standard hybrid, you can drive 500km and never deplete the battery entirely, since the drive system will periodically charge the system - easy to see with the Prius' energy flow display.

Am I to understand that the e-tron is not a true hybrid, and that if I drive 500km in one go it will simply go in to all-gas "Hold" mode after the battery can't supply power for the electric motor?

srwhitney":10889blm said:
Audi literature seems to say that the battery gets depleted gradually in Hybrid mode. With a Prius or other standard hybrid, you can drive 500km and never deplete the battery entirely, since the drive system will periodically charge the system - easy to see with the Prius' energy flow display.

Am I to understand that the e-tron is not a true hybrid, and that if I drive 500km in one go it will simply go in to all-gas "Hold" mode after the battery can't supply power for the electric motor?

It seems to be a true hybrid since the electric motor switches on/off with the gas motor while my battery is completely depleted too. I have seen it actually charge the battery a little during driving but I honestly do not pay enough attention at that gauge while driving due to potential distraction. While you have your display views properly set, you can see when the electric motor is being used or not.

srwhitney":1v8s2v1w said:

Select EV mode and Etron runs on its plug-in charge, unless the throttle is pushed to the floor. When plug-in charge is depleted, it defaults to HOLD mode. IF you dont charge, you cant select EV mode.

Select HOLD mode and Etron will function much like a regular Prius hybrid, in that there is a small battery reserve always maintained, so it can operate much like a traditional hybrid does; ICE shutoff at stops, off-throttle coasting (ICE off/mild regen), low demand gliding (ICE off, EV).
So, if you have a plug-in charge and select HOLD, the plug in charge will be maintained overall, giving and taking for normal hybrid operation. HOLD is also the default mode after plug in charge range is depleted.

HYBRID will blend ICE and any plug-in charge. It favors EV, to a higher threshold of demand, then operate the ICE at higher demands. If/when plug-in charge is depleted this mode will act like HOLD mode, Still functioning as a hybrid. Its always maintains a minimum level of charge for "hybrid" operation.

OverSpun":1c5gwuey said:
srwhitney":1c5gwuey said:

It seems to be a true hybrid since the electric motor switches on/off with the gas motor while my battery is completely depleted too. I have seen it actually charge the battery a little during driving but I honestly do not pay enough attention at that gauge while driving due to potential distraction. While you have your display views properly set, you can see when the electric motor is being used or not.

I've noticed that in battery hold mode, the electric motor does indeed run after the charge has been 'depleted'. ICE definitely shuts off at lights and the electric motor is used to start the car moving again for a very brief period until the ICE kicks in. So that's probably why there is a reserve of 2.2 Kwh.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I haven't yet placed an order but gettin questions answered from real world owners is valuable.

The Audi guide also says that hold mode favours the ICE, and that it runs almost exclusively...it sounds like in your experience that's not true, although I think like some other cars with auto shut off that aren't electric, it could resemble hybrid operation...

Thoughts?

srwhitney":18g9pwbx said:
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I haven't yet placed an order but gettin questions answered from real world owners is valuable.

The Audi guide also says that hold mode favours the ICE, and that it runs almost exclusively...it sounds like in your experience that's not true, although I think like some other cars with auto shut off that aren't electric, it could resemble hybrid operation...

Thoughts?

If you are "depleted" and running in hold mode, it depends on where you are driving. On the freeway at normal speeds, it will be all ICE. If in stop and go traffic, or any typical urban settings, what was said above applies, i.e., EV while stopped, brief times of EV underway, etc.

Real question is what is the max horsepower and torque if the battery is depleted in any mode

In other words what is the effective range at full specs and what is the drop once you run out of charge

I think many of us bought this over a Prius for the performance as well as the economy

Real question is what is the max horsepower and torque if the battery is depleted in any mode

In other words what is the effective range at full specs and what is the drop once you run out of charge

I think many of us bought this over a Prius for the performance as well as the economy

I imagine the Boost zone would not be available once the battery is fully depleted. It's still quick with 150hp though, never had mine in boost zone yet. Good amount of torque.

Also, when in Battery Hold & the Sport setting, the battery will charge some. I've gone from 0km to 19km EV range while driving in medium traffic on the highway. Seems the more the speed varies the faster it charges. The ICE doesn't shut off as much in Battery Hold, so it charges while decelerating, and in Sport it also regenerates more aggressively when you get off the gas pedal. I haven't been able to get it over half a charge though.

Battery Hold and Sport is my favorite mode for driving in traffic, it's peppy and the response time to speed changes is much quicker with the "one pedal" driving.

2017 Prestige - 16k (Canadian model)

My daily commute is 20 miles each way (40 total miles). It's about 3 miles of local traffic, followed by 14 miles of highway, then 3 miles of local traffic again. Repeated on the way home.

I'd like advice on how to best maximize my mileage. Should I:

A. Drive in EV mode for first 3 miles, then put into "S" mode on highway to hold battery charge and get maximum regeneration, then put into EV for last 3 miles? or
B. Drive in EV mode for first 3 miles, then put into Hybrid mode on highway, then put into EV for last 3 miles? or
C. Drive in Hybrid mode the entire drive?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

dlawrence":1n6933in said:
My daily commute is 20 miles each way (40 total miles). It's about 3 miles of local traffic, followed by 14 miles of highway, then 3 miles of local traffic again. Repeated on the way home.

I'd like advice on how to best maximize my mileage. Should I:

A. Drive in EV mode for first 3 miles, then put into "S" mode on highway to hold battery charge and get maximum regeneration, then put into EV for last 3 miles? or
B. Drive in EV mode for first 3 miles, then put into Hybrid mode on highway, then put into EV for last 3 miles? or
C. Drive in Hybrid mode the entire drive?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!
My drive is 25 miles one way but I recharge at work for free. I'll use EV mode for about 9 miles city and highway until I have about 13 EV miles left. Then Hold mode on the highway for a few miles. Back in ev mode around with around 7-8 miles left, get to work with 0.

My drive is 25 miles one way but I recharge at work for free. I'll use EV mode for about 9 miles city and highway until I have about 13 EV miles left. Then Hold mode on the highway for a few miles. Back in ev mode around with around 7-8 miles left, get to work with 0.

Great - thanks @khs604c. That's really helpful.

A quick follow-up: once I have used up all the available EV miles, is Hybrid or Hold mode most efficient?

-D

Back