Misleading EV range indicated

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Hi, new forum member here - please excuse me if this has already been covered, but I've had a look through and not found anything

I've now had my e-tron for about 6 weeks: when I get into the car, and it's fully charged, it usually tells me I have between 26 and 29 miles available in EV mode. As I'm sure you all know, I'm not going to get anything like this many miles.

I just came back from a trip, stopped in the next town on the way home, came home in EV mode. The town is 6 miles away, the dial read 11 miles when I got into the car, yet the juice ran out completely as I got home.

This is theoretically because I'm using heating, lights etc - but the car's sensors must be aware of these things - surely it could give a more realistic reading as to available range? Has anyone got mileage anything like what is indicated on the dial?

It seems to me that the system is set up for Audi to present optimistic figures to potential customers and the press, rather than as a useful tool for owners, who have after all already bought the cars…

Climate control really kills battery life. The range indicated is just best case scenario mileage similar to estimated gas range. All depends on speed, weather, accessories being run. It would be annoying if the mileage range constantly changed up and down

bikerboyriley":ogxdx83k said:
Climate control really kills battery life. The range indicated is just best case scenario mileage similar to estimated gas range. All depends on speed, weather, accessories being run. It would be annoying if the mileage range constantly changed up and down

Actually I'd prefer it if the range constantly changed - I'd be able to adjust behaviour, turn things on and off, and directly see the results. For me at least, the current system is so inaccurate that it's barely fit for purpose.

Actually, the range estimate does re-calculate on the fly. It starts out high, as a best case scenario. But it continually adjusts (always down), as it matches battery reserve to conditions. Note that it is always at 0 miles when it shifts to Hold.

I think it would be to everyone's benefit that EV estimates represent realistic or average useage. I would much rather have the etron underestimate EV range than most assuredly (in my experience anyway) overestimate it. I usually see "24" on the EV range. I mentally cut it in half. The programming should base the beginning EV range on previous drives' useage, and seeing this, the driver will know that the estimated EV range ongoing is based on that, and drive accordingly. Of course, that's my massive 600 miles of etron experience talking. I love this car.

If it adjusts the estimate downwards while driving, it's clearly not very good at it. If I start at 11 miles, and without changing conditions, only manage 6, then it should have been able to use those conditions at the start of my journey to give a realistic prediction.

If the car were fully electric it would be pretty important to have a reasonably accurate estimation of range.

Felix":34vwlvva said:
If the car were fully electric it would be pretty important to have a reasonably accurate estimation of range.
True, but it's not a full EV. I generally pay no attention to the range estimate. Charge it fully. Plan my day's route to minimize backtracking, and drive it. If I run out of battery, the ICE kicks in. End of story.

arne":8jfp3cv8 said:
Felix":8jfp3cv8 said:
True, but it's not a full EV. I generally pay no attention to the range estimate. Charge it fully. Plan my day's route to minimize backtracking, and drive it. If I run out of battery, the ICE kicks in. End of story.

No, it's not a full EV, but that's where cars are going, and it can't be beyond the talents of a carmaker like Audi to give us accurate measurements.

Don't get me wrong, so far I really like my E-tron, but the USP of this model is its EV capabilities - would be better if they had got this right.

So this morning I got in the car, it told me I had 20 miles… Drove to the supermarket, 3 miles away, it read 12 miles. Drove back, 2 short stops on the way - 4 miles left!

Total travel 6 miles, total range used up, according to the readings, 16 miles

Need a new unit of measure: Audi EV miles - they're very short… :lol: :lol:

arne":jc7e7kcb said:
Actually, the range estimate does re-calculate on the fly. It starts out high, as a best case scenario. But it continually adjusts (always down), as it matches battery reserve to conditions. Note that it is always at 0 miles when it shifts to Hold.

Yep, it is constantly recalculating.

But, there's a reason this thing is called a "guess-o-meter" (GOM). It's the same with pretty much any electrified car.

arne":jc7e7kcb said:
Felix":jc7e7kcb said:

Yep, that's why I bought a plug-in. EV range is nice, but not critical.

Felix":2ajh93tj said:
So this morning I got in the car, it told me I had 20 miles… Drove to the supermarket, 3 miles away, it read 12 miles. Drove back, 2 short stops on the way - 4 miles left!

Total travel 6 miles, total range used up, according to the readings, 16 miles

Need a new unit of measure: Audi EV miles - they're very short… :lol: :lol:

Ease up on the accelerator. Drive by using the efficiency meter.

Just to add that speed might also be a factor here. I get the best ev range plodding along at 30-40kph in mild stop and go conditions. Faster than say 70-80 kph and I just flip over to hold or Hybrid mode and let the gas engine take over. This is really where Hybrid mode excels, allowing you to get the most range out of the battery when driving at lower speeds and conserving it by using the ICE while at higher speeds.

In my case when we drive over to my in-laws house I can make it easily on battery taking city roads, however if I get on the highway I'm out of charge before I'm halfway there. Both options are roughly the same distance.

Back