eTron EV Mode and Energy Recuperation

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avisriv

As I understand, the eTron's EV mode is designed to provide continuous battery powered drive as long as enough charge is available (or if the car exceeds 80 mph). This works as designed but I was also expecting that it would also allow energy recuperation through braking or downhill drives. I see the dial go to charge when braking or going on steep downhills but never do I see the EV range go up. In fact, i notice that the EV range keeps dropping as I'm braking on a downhill drive (and the dial is on charge). Coming from a Prius plugin, I could instantly see the range creep up (or at least stop dropping), but not so on the eTron. In Hybrid Charge mode I see this happen immediately, but not in the EV mode.

Has anyone experienced an increase in available EV range as the result of energy recuperation from braking in the EV mode?

Also, I'm trying to figure out if the EV range prediction factors in past driving history from the last reset, lifetime, or last drive. Any clues?

Thanks!

Sounds like it's just trying to not be as bouncy as some other GOMs out there. This wouldn't make me think that power wasn't actually going into the battery.

avisriv":t62lphpi said:
As I understand, the eTron's EV mode is designed to provide continuous battery powered drive as long as enough charge is available (or if the car exceeds 80 mph). This works as designed but I was also expecting that it would also allow energy recuperation through braking or downhill drives. I see the dial go to charge when braking or going on steep downhills but never do I see the EV range go up. In fact, i notice that the EV range keeps dropping as I'm braking on a downhill drive (and the dial is on charge). Coming from a Prius plugin, I could instantly see the range creep up (or at least stop dropping), but not so on the eTron. In Hybrid Charge mode I see this happen immediately, but not in the EV mode.

Has anyone experienced an increase in available EV range as the result of energy recuperation from braking in the EV mode?

Also, I'm trying to figure out if the EV range prediction factors in past driving history from the last reset, lifetime, or last drive. Any clues?

Thanks!

Like you, I'm still trying to figure all this modes myself. It doesn't help that my e-tron connect service is not working so I can't get useful statistics other than whats on OBC. I've seen the car regenarating when going downhill but I think I've only seen the miles go up only once. I can't be sure.

My observations:

I don't see much difference between Hold charge and Hybrid modes.When I have the energy flow indicator on the driver information system, it seems that for both modes, when you press on the accelerator slightly both use the battery - you can see a short white bar (electric power available) get filled with green bar (electric power used). When the green bar passes the length of the white bar, the gas engine kicks in.

Driving in sport mode (S), automatically puts the car in Hold battery mode. The regeneration is also very aggressive. If you let off the accelerator pedal the car will slow down. And you can see this on the energy flow indicator. I wonder why Audi doesn't let you drive in pure EV mode with this kind of strong regeneration.

So far my highest estimated EV miles is 25. I get about 17-19 real miles out of that.
80-fullsizerender_e90d96bc7c93996254f4485e08f3bd5b2d72e767.jpg

These are my short term (1) and long term trips(2):
80-fullsizerender_1_1ed43e3713d46abe7f7b4d678e70b55d4cea1b09.jpg

80-fullsizerender_2_f0582ad82a21d7135348ddd66ca65c0c99c281b8.jpg

91.5...nice! I wonder if the regeneration is stronger in sport mode or if it is just using engine braking since you see the D switch to M# (#=1 to 5)?

While I've not seen a net positive gain in electric range from just a downhill regen (while in EV), I do see my range stay near constant in the last five miles of my morning commute, which is a slight downhill coast on highway (~65 mph).
It took me some time to get used to realizing this. Similar for the evening; I'll start out fully charged, and by the time I've gone up that five miles of slight uphill highway, I've lost 9+ miles in range.

I know what you mean.
My daily drive starts out with a full 38 km AER, but by the 10 km mark of my commute it's already used 18 to 21 km of range.
On the other side, I've noticed that I can sometimes drive another 2 km when the range indicates 0 km available.

My spring road trip really allowed me to play around with the regeneration while on the interstates. I always drive in "manual" hybrid mode ,and notice when I can glide while on the interstates,the etron regenerates the best.Enough where I've exited,and had enough to drive to an in city destination in EV,8 miles/14km from a 26 mile drive during rush hour. While in EV mode,I don't get the same regeneration,but I usually have gridlock,with little room to "glide,"or I can expect to collide.

Running air conditioning,and XM at the same time,I do notice the range drop in EV mode more than expected with over 3 months of driving later.While driving in the city in EV mode,the range drops to about half of the charge when the A/C is off.

Audi should do a firmware update to improve the range available to [North American] A3 etrons .

It's great to NOT use any gas for about 97% of the time in a month while driving predominately in the City!I have about 75% of a tank after having to go out into the suburbs where I ran out of range,but fully charged,and used 0 gas returning home where I charged again.

Back