Charging Question

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott2017

I just got my new Etron and am about to do my fist charge.

My garage in on fuses (not on the regular electrical "grid"). Will there be any issues with charging in my garage (on fuses) that I should be aware of, or would I be better off finding a way to charge directly to an outlet in our main house (which is on the grid)? Thank you.

Not sure I understand your question. In the US (and anywhere else I'm aware of), there are always fuses or breakers protecting the lines. Unless the line is very small (not rated for the power draw), your charger should work fine wherever you plug in.

Look at the rating on the fuse. If it's 20A or more for a 110v outlet, you should be fine. I think even a 15A should be okay. Check the manual to be sure. I don't have it in front of me.

Scott, as @rfortson says, you should be fine on a fused outlet. The worst that could happen would be that you blew the fuse.
Audi's EVSE that you have controls the maximum input current depending on the type of plug that you use to connect it to your power outlet at home and current ratings are a little on the conservative side. For instance here in the UK, I could plug my Audi EVSE into a standard UK 13A outlet and the input cable will indicate that to the e-tron via the EVSE. The e-tron in turn will only draw a maximum of 10A if set to 100% and 5A if set to 50%.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. After reading both replies I've been charging in my garage and it has worked beautifully.

Here's another (probably ignorant) question, if you don't mind: If fail to fully recharge a depleted battery, does that in any way impair the longevity of the battery?

For example, if I only charge a depleted battery for an hour or two (out of about 8 hours needed to fully recharge in my 120V outlet), and then drive on battery power, is that in any way bad for the battery? I know that charge would only last a couple miles, but it is quite possible on a weekend that I could run out in the AM, come home and re-charge, only to have to run out again unexpectedly an hour or two later. If such "partial charges" are bad for the battery, that would be nice to know. Thanks again.

Scott, I don't think that a partial charge of the battery would be a problem at all as the battery consists of lithium-ion cells. I have partially charged mine on many an occasion as I use excess solar PV generation to charge for the most part.

scott2017":21zebb1r said:
Thanks to both of you for your replies. After reading both replies I've been charging in my garage and it has worked beautifully.

Here's another (probably ignorant) question, if you don't mind: If fail to fully recharge a depleted battery, does that in any way impair the longevity of the battery?

For example, if I only charge a depleted battery for an hour or two (out of about 8 hours needed to fully recharge in my 120V outlet), and then drive on battery power, is that in any way bad for the battery? I know that charge would only last a couple miles, but it is quite possible on a weekend that I could run out in the AM, come home and re-charge, only to have to run out again unexpectedly an hour or two later. If such "partial charges" are bad for the battery, that would be nice to know. Thanks again.

This is from page 99 of the 2016 A3 e-tron manual:

"Frequent and consecutive charging of the high-voltage battery when the charge level is above 98% can also decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Make sure the charge level is below 98% when you start charging process."

There are other special considerations for the high-voltage battery that is outlined in that page, specifically with regards to not using the car for a long period of time.

-Ben

bruintoo":3je4hbwk said:
scott2017":3je4hbwk said:

This is from page 99 of the 2016 A3 e-tron manual:

"Frequent and consecutive charging of the high-voltage battery when the charge level is above 98% can also decrease the capacity of the high-voltage battery. Make sure the charge level is below 98% when you start charging process."

There are other special considerations for the high-voltage battery that is outlined in that page, specifically with regards to not using the car for a long period of time.

-Ben

I think I go below 98 percent in about 23.52 seconds, give or take.

Thanks all. Your replies have been helpful.

Now that I've gotten some more charging experience I have another question:

I usually charge overnight in a 110V socket (anywhere from 8 to 11 hours) so I'm at full charge in the morning. That means I've charged a couple hours longer than really needed in order to attain a full charge. The question is, approximately how much electricity does this waste (say, per extra hour I'm charging after the battery is already full)? Hopefully negligible, as I assume the electricity flows in at a much higher rate when there is still availability left in the battery and, once that's satisfied, any additional electricity used is pretty small.

scott2017":1w85bdsk said:

I usually charge overnight in a 110V socket (anywhere from 8 to 11 hours) so I'm at full charge in the morning. That means I've charged a couple hours longer than really needed in order to attain a full charge. The question is, approximately how much electricity does this waste (say, per extra hour I'm charging after the battery is already full)? Hopefully negligible, as I assume the electricity flows in at a much higher rate when there is still availability left in the battery and, once that's satisfied, any additional electricity used is pretty small.

From what I've seen, the charging shuts off (charging light turns off), so electricity usage should be almost nothing.

GoRSL":zqq0gltx said:
scott2017":zqq0gltx said:

From what I've seen, the charging shuts off (charging light turns off), so electricity usage should be almost nothing.

Yep, that's my experience as well.

Once your e-tron is fully charged, ac consumption goes to zero.

If you have climate conditioning set up, it will use more juice while that runs. Confirmed using a power meter between the 110v outlet and the Audi supplied charger. Roughly 9A consumption at 110v while it is charging.

Back