Anyone seen these problems on their e-tron?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
etronjohn":3qflxo3i said:
My vehicle is back in the shop again with the same shuddering issue. They’re going to try to replace the mechatronic this time. Hopefully this will fix the issue. The only thing that I’m curious about is whether or not there have been any changes or bug fixes that’ll be included in the new mechatronic. If not, I don’t quite see how replacing the mechatronic would fix it permanently.

Good luck.... mine still does it every now and then, my gf's nickname for the car now is "shakey" :roll:

boogiehead":3g1yopjs said:
etronjohn":3g1yopjs said:
My vehicle is back in the shop again with the same shuddering issue. They’re going to try to replace the mechatronic this time. Hopefully this will fix the issue. The only thing that I’m curious about is whether or not there have been any changes or bug fixes that’ll be included in the new mechatronic. If not, I don’t quite see how replacing the mechatronic would fix it permanently.

Good luck.... mine still does it every now and then, my gf's nickname for the car now is "shakey" :roll:
Thanks. Did they replace the mechatronic in yours? I’ve been in a loaner car for about 2 weeks now. They’re still working on the issue.

etronjohn":1ksi3a86 said:
boogiehead":1ksi3a86 said:
etronjohn":1ksi3a86 said:

Thanks. Did they replace the mechatronic in yours? I’ve been in a loaner car for about 2 weeks now. They’re still working on the issue.

No I couldn't replicate the issue on the spot the one time I brought it into the dealer so they told me everything looked ok. Glad at least they gave you loaner for all the trouble you've been going through.

boogiehead":1n0inybc said:
No I couldn't replicate the issue on the spot the one time I brought it into the dealer so they told me everything looked ok. Glad at least they gave you loaner for all the trouble you've been going through.
I had the shop foreman go on a test drive with me, so I could show him the shuddering. During the first 15 minutes of cruising around, I wasn’t able to get it to shudder, but then we took it into a multi-level parking garage (where there are a bunch of inclines). I was able to reproduce it consistently on the inclines (both ascending and descending).

Here are the steps that we took to reproduce it:
1. Etron Battery completely drained (and car in battery hold mode)
2. Drove the car around for about 10-15 min to “warm it up”
3. Took the car on an incline in the parking garage, and came to a complete stop.
4. Took my foot off of the break to let the car “idle” forward (did not apply any acceleration)
5. Massive shuddering!

If you want, you could try these steps yourself before bringing the mechanic along to see if they work for you. The inclining/declining slope, and allowing the car to just “idle” forward without acceleration seemed to be the key factors for me to get it to happen consistently.

AudiNooby":2dih7x1w said:
Hi everyone! I just got my A3 eTron last month, have the same shudder problem like everyone here. I started to notice shuddering issue almost immediately but this being my first Audi so I thought maybe this is how an Audi behaves....

Here are some shuddering issues I have experienced so far:
1. When backing out from my garage, the car shudder violently as it was to stalled.
2. Battery empty on gas.

I took the car back to the dealership this morning, dragged the machanic on a test drive. Fortunately I was able to replicate the shudder issue and he said Audi has issued a bulletin on this issue and it’s instruction is to replace transmission fluid. My work order stated exactly that, I hope this will fix the problem. I will report back once I get to test it out when the car is ready for pick up tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed.

** Update 11/29/2018 (day 2) **
Car is still at the dealership for further diagnostic :|
Changed out transmission fluid and said the car still shudder. They have reached out to Audi technical team and was asked to send in sample of transmission fluid. Sounds like my car is in ICU :mrgreen:

** Update 12/1 (day 4) **
Picked up the car on Sat, it drove fine and the shuddering was gone for a a good first 2 hours.
Gonna take it back tomoorrow morning, the quest for a fix continues.
Audi replaced the transmission fluid, and adjusted the computer control but the fix was short lived.

** Update 12/22 (day ??) **
Problem is finally fixed! Mechatronic replaced! The part was shipped from Germany and it took 10 days to arrive, 2 more days for installation and test drive.
They’re replacing the mechatronics unit in mine right now. I’ve been through the exact same steps that you went through. They first tried the service bulletin, but the problem came back. Now, they’re replacing that expensive mechatronics unit. My question to you is... has the problem re-surfaced after they replaced the mechatronics unit?

Just an update folks... replacing the Mechatronics unit fixed one of the fault codes that the technicians found, but there was still an issue after that. So, now they’re going to try to put an entirely new transmission in. Luckily, I’m under warranty and the dealer has me in a loaner car, so it’s not cramping my style :D. Hopefully replacing the transmission will fix the issue. Fingers crossed!

2018 etron - yes, we've noticed this too. Took it back for service and this complaint but they just said they couldn't replicate it :| and it seems it did go away for some time - but then returned. I never correlated it to the charge level, but will check that out.

I got my car back about a week ago with a brand new transmission installed. I haven’t seen the shuddering problem resurface yet, so hopefully it is fixed for good. If the issue comes back, I’ll be sure to post again.

Hi All, as this topic is quite old i was hoping to find an update about this stutter / shudder problem as my car have the exact same problem.

1 - Did any of you had a replaced transmission and did this fixed the problem?
2 - Did any of you had replaced the Mechatronic and the Transmission as well like "etronjohn", and fixed this the problem?

I also opened a topic some days ago with video's which can be found here: My Topic

I have something similar on my car but I suspect it is different to what appears to be clutch chatter for the other posters. At low speed and turning such as in a parking lot there is a little light chatter which goes away quickly.. I suspect it is ABS/traction control related. Either a miscalibrated ABS speed sensor or buggy code the car thinks it is slipping in snow and is pumping the brakes on the inside wheel. Only happens once in a while, I'm ignoring it for now.

Not sure if this helps but I would try this: If you are getting shuddering when coming to a stop with the ICE running it could be a case of the clutch not disengaging... sort of if you are a novice stick shift driver... So... maybe try shifting to neutral to see if the shuddering stops? If so you have pinpointed the problem.

Thanks for your reply cmc!

As for your sound, i know that the platform of this car is known for a bit "cracking" sound (as if all parts are tightened to much). My car makes these sounds as well when i start a trip, especially when i take speed bumps. It disappears quite quickly after driving 3 minutes.

About the shuddering, it only appears when the car starts to roll from a complete stop. And when the car is on speed 10 to 15 kmh it disappears right away.

Back