LTE Bars On Display But No Google Earth

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirChargesAlot

Hi everyone,

I have read about the 3g scandal and believe nothing related to any "online" service works on the A3 e-tron because Audi chose to leverage 3g technology at it's end of life and once AT&T took down their 3g towers, the car went from being connected, to not. This was a significant loss of functionality especially considering this is a hybrid vehicle and remote charge monitoring and other things can be important to some.

Having mentioned the above, I see several bars of service on the MMI display with LTE showing as active. Now my question is, how is it that the car is showing being connected to a cell phone network, that LTE shows as active, but zero online features work? These thoughts came to mind when I tried activating google maps in the nav app to see satellite imagery instead of the usual vector style reproductions. But nothing happens.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? It feels like the car should not be connected to towers and should not be able to even display active LTE in order for things to stop working?

The display is showing your Cell Phone status as it is connected to the A3 via Bluetooth.
That would make a lot of sense. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll pay closer attention next time I get in, my phone was in the house, but it could still have been connected. I'm sure you're right. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I have read about the 3g scandal and believe nothing related to any "online" service works on the A3 e-tron because Audi chose to leverage 3g technology at it's end of life and once AT&T took down their 3g towers, the car went from being connected, to not. This was a significant loss of functionality especially considering this is a hybrid vehicle and remote charge monitoring and other things can be important to some.

Having mentioned the above, I see several bars of service on the MMI display with LTE showing as active. Now my question is, how is it that the car is showing being connected to a cell phone network, that LTE shows as active, but zero online features work? These thoughts came to mind when I tried activating google maps in the nav app to see satellite imagery instead of the usual vector style reproductions. But nothing happens.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? It feels like the car should not be connected to towers and should not be able to even display active LTE in order for things to stop working?
Navigation is 4G, while Audi Connect was only 3G. Audi upgraded their 4 and 5 series, but chose to ignore the A3 Sportback e-tron. Audi USA claimed that their Audi Connect was not paid for by customers, but was a free service, so they were not required to update it. One more garbage response by Audi USA.

Navigation is 4G, while Audi Connect was only 3G. Audi upgraded their 4 and 5 series, but chose to ignore the A3 Sportback e-tron. Audi USA claimed that their Audi Connect was not paid for by customers, but was a free service, so they were not required to update it. One more garbage response by Audi USA.

Hey @dlinkA3, that would make sense. So you're saying the bars displayed on the MMI are related to the navigation system and not just showing the phones reception?

I'm aware that Audi left A3 in the dirt, there are about 5k units of the A3 e-tron in the US total across all the years it was sold here, I'm not surprised that they don't care. Doesn't sit well, but I'm not surprised.

Do you know what functionality does actually work from the NAVs 4g? I assume google earth is tied to 3g and not the navs 4g? when I turn it on, I can't get any satellite imagery on the Audi nav.

Hey @dlinkA3, that would make sense. So you're saying the bars displayed on the MMI are related to the navigation system and not just showing the phones reception?

I'm aware that Audi left A3 in the dirt, there are about 5k units of the A3 e-tron in the US total across all the years it was sold here, I'm not surprised that they don't care. Doesn't sit well, but I'm not surprised.

Do you know what functionality does actually work from the NAVs 4g? I assume google earth is tied to 3g and not the navs 4g? when I turn it on, I can't get any satellite imagery on the Audi nav.
All I discovered from Audi USA was that Audi Connect was a separate unit, supposedly the only one connected to 3G tech, so the rest “should” be 4G, but I have no proof of that. We never paid for MMI, because it was way more expensive than simply using our smartphones and included lots of info which was not important to us.

We were tired of the push by Audi to move so many added benefits to a subscription model, so they could make more money. It is the same with their constant pestering us that we had to get annual oil and filter changes, when we were only driving 2K-4K miles annually and 99% of those miles in all-electric mode. With expensive synthetic oil, which is supposed to easily last 10K-15K miles, and an expensive Euro spec filter, why pay $175 every year to dump both?

We definitely miss Audi Connect’s features, which were regularly trumpeted in their advertisements for the A3 e-tron. At least we did NOT spend the extra to get adaptive cruise and lane holding. Reports have been very negative about that feature the past several years. If we had paid that extra amount, our 2017 A3 Sportback e-tron would have cost more than our 2018 Tesla Model 3 long range, which has been an excellent car, likely the best we have ever owned. The only issue has been full self-driving, which still has quite a ways to go, except for freeway/highway driving where is works well.

All I discovered from Audi USA was that Audi Connect was a separate unit, supposedly the only one connected to 3G tech, so the rest “should” be 4G
That's interesting information. I know you're upset at Audi, it's clear in pretty much every response you post on the forum. I was upset that the dealership I got the e-tron from did not tell me anything about the discontinued features. I got over it though, corporations are corporations, they are all the same garbage, so I don't necessarily have anything specific against Audi, but I do know that no large corporation in this world gives two shits about anything other than maximizing profits. You know... it's their "obligation to the shareholders" and all that BS they hide behind.

Business Ethics is a thing of the past my friend. Life will be much easier for you if you just accept, if another corp doesn't hit you where Audi did, they will hit you in another place somehow someway...

C'est la vie my friend.

Having said all that, I'll try to make some time to communicate with Audi USA about this and get a list of features that do potentially work via 4G. I would be happy with updating my maps even though I use carplay most of the time, I like having a backup system and honestly, google earth view in the digital cockpit, just looks so gorgeous that I want to try and have that available to me.

If I do find any useful information I'll be sure to share back with the group here.

Not just Audi discontinued features when 3G died. My VW Alltrack MY 2017 lost connection to the "Connect" internet features. Likely this was across the board with other manufactures as well. Just luck which MY Production got caught in the evolution of Tech world. I may want to stay with Window 10... but not gonna happen. o_O Used to Say GM and others had "Planned Obsolescence" built it to every model. Back in the 60's (showing my age)... it was RUST that assured you had to buy new every 3 to 5 years. Now it is Software and the Internet!!!

So I have an OBD Eleven - and the many Apps Have enhanced my A3 E-Tron. Right Mirror Dip - Euro Scandinavian DRL's - and other features.
But one called "MMI - Multi Media Interface" appeared to allow my Celt Phone to replace the G3 Sim card that we all miss. It seems to say that the Cell Phone Hot Spot will provide the Internet Date link? However it does not work on my Pixel phone. I wonder - Has anyone else tried this. I am new to the MMI system and still not sure how to navigate all the features.

Back