2017 updates

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we'll get them as soon as all existing 2016 A3 e-tron supply has been exhausted. There's no point in the factory churning out two versions of body styles. It's a good thing (or maybe a bad thing) that the battery is still the same with the same EV range. I would have kicked myself for not waiting till this summer. Here's that the newish A3 e-tron looks like with the virtual cockpit:
https://vimeo.com/162039730
FredT":3415nsrp said:
dr61":3415nsrp said:
I like the changes. I wonder, though, whether they will make it to the US market for 2017. The changes will appear in Europe this summer, and we usually get them a year or more later.

Congrats on getting one. I'm sure the next 2 months will feel like forever.
It's a great drive and have proven to be extremely efficient depending on your driving habits.
I've gone from driving an ICE (500 to 600 km/wk and spending $60 reg/fill) to over 1,200 kms and $42 (premium gas) for that journey (& I still had 5 lt of gas left). :D
Yes my driving habits have changed and I don't drive excessively anymore. At least not as often. :cool:
The one thing I didn't expect was how easy it was for me to change the way I drive.
What colour, trim level, pkgs did you get?
Love to see some pics once you've gotten your car (not many e-tron's on the road). :(

hangtime10":2sebfdr2 said:
Congrats on getting one. I'm sure the next 2 months will feel like forever.
It's a great drive and have proven to be extremely efficient depending on your driving habits.
I've gone from driving an ICE (500 to 600 km/wk and spending $60 reg/fill) to over 1,200 kms and $42 (premium gas) for that journey (& I still had 5 lt of gas left). :D
Yes my driving habits have changed and I don't drive excessively anymore. At least not as often. :cool:
The one thing I didn't expect was how easy it was for me to change the way I drive.
What colour, trim level, pkgs did you get?
Love to see some pics once you've gotten your car (not many e-tron's on the road). :(

Thanks - Unfortunately I just found out that my order was delayed even further. It had finally gotten into the system, but then kicked back to waiting list status. Seems like a low supply and pretty good demand happening. We're getting quite close to the switchover to 2017 so going to be aiming for that instead now. I'm not in a rush, so I'm going to be patient for a few extra months now..

I've been driving a TDI for 10 years (a lot of long commuting in the past). I got quite used to driving conservatively and making a game of how far I could stretch one tank of fuel. Looking forward to doing the same with the e-tron and running it in EV mode as much as possible. I have a 20km commute in each direction, and will install a charger at work, so should have that driving easily covered.

I got my allocation locked in for a 2017 E-Tron the other day. Dealer said they don't have final pricing yet but as soon as they do my order will go in. Then I wait... looking like a September delivery if things go well. Sigh.

The updates I've read so far makes the MY17 sound more impressive. I would've, if I could've, waited for the new model.
That virtual display is really nice. I checked it out in the new A4 recently and wow it's pretty nice.
Congrats, I think your wait and being made to get the newer model will be well worth it.

Just placed an order for a 2017 Technik (the highest option here in Canada), Nano Grey up here in Vancouver BC. I'm likely to get on the November/December manufacturing allotment which means receiving around December to Jan (hopefully). Trading in my old 2006 2.0T A3 which is a substantial upgrade!

Things I learned about the MY17:
- The colour palette has changed. Daytona Grey is gone here in Canada, which is why I opted for Nano (nervous!). Full line up here is: Glacier White, Florett Silver, Mythos Black, Monsoon Grey, Ibis White, Brilliant Black, Tango Red (new), Cosmos Blue (new), Nano Grey (new)
- They removed the base model and only have Progressiv and Technik options (don't think many opted for the base Ultra)
- Smartphone integration for Apple CarPlay and Android auto are an option ($890) on the progressiv and standard on the technik. I tested this on a 2017 A4 when I test drove the MY16 Etron and it's fantastic. I think this will change the way I drive and reduce distractions when navigating spotify. It's just a couple of USB ports in the middle console rather than a weird proprietary Audi cable now (yay!).
- As most know, Virtual cockpit is also one of the big new features and standard on the Technik. Can't wait to see how this looks
- The other "new" features indicated on the progressiv are: MMI radio with 7" colour display, rearview camera, charging clip (what is this??), 3 spoke leather multifunction steering wheel, audi music interface with 2 USB data/charge ports
- Also "new" on the technik: heated steering wheel, full LED headlights, all weather lights and dynamic tailights on top of virtual cockpit and smartphone interface

Things I'm hoping for when the car comes:
- That Nano Grey looks as good as Daytona. When I google this on A3s and A1s and TTs, the pictures give me conflicting views.
- I got about 25 KMs of range during my test drives with the 2016 (starts at 35, drops quickly and ends up around 22-25). Hoping this maybe has gone up a little to 30KM.
- They figured out an indicator for leaving the front charge port open.
- That I'll be happy doing 120V charges at home since there is a public 240V charger 1 block away from home, but I'm open to installing a 240V outlet in my garage

Options I did not opt for are: sport package (the 17" rims should offer slightly better EV range, plus I have tire chains I can reuse from my old A3) and the tech package (don't really feel like I need Lane assist, adaptive cruise or pre-sense front)

Has anyone else pre-ordered for 2017 and what are your ETAs? I'm told manufacturing begins in October in Germany as they are now changing over from 2016 production to 2017.

Congrats on the E-tron. It's a great car and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.
Also, Thanks for the updates on the upcoming 2017 model.
I do like some of those features and if I could've waited I'm sure I'd have one on order.
Mine is the Daytona Grey Technik with the sports pkg, love the colour.
The 2016 does have a USB in the armrest that I can use for charging, but there's only 1 available. The proprietary Audi cable is still unopened.
I've experienced the virtual cockpit and it's awesome. Very clear and easy to switch between layouts. This will be a big reason to expect next years E-tron sales should be increased.
I'm seeing that my daily drive gets me 34 km on EV before the ICE kicks in. As long as you're not driving like a maniac you should expect the same AER.
Note: this is regardless of what my full charge indicates (typically between 37 and 42 km), as it seems that the battery has more "life"/range at the bottom of the indicator.
From your list I have the following features:
- 3 spoke leather multifunction steering wheel, audi music interface
- full LED headlights, all weather lights

New for 2017
- Smartphone integration for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Virtual cockpit
- 2 USB data/charge ports (currently only 1)
- heated steering wheel
- dynamic tailights

I wanted to get the Technology Pkg which included ACC and Lane Assist but the dealerships only had 1 model in stock which didn't have the pkg. If you do some long drives, I think ACC would be a great feature to have, IMO.

If it's possible, I would highly recommend having a 240v outlet setup in your garage. You don't need a charging station/housing (Audi's Bosch unit) as the charger supplied by Audi does the job.
It's so convenient to be able to charge my car in 2 1/2 hours on the weekend after I've done my morning errands and head back out after lunch with a full charge.
Most of the CS's in the GTA are Level 2 charges and are free to use. Only place I've noticed that charge for using it were GO Station parking lots.
Look to installing these apps (not all apps show all CS's):
Plug Share
Charge Point (highly recommended - you'll need to register and get a card but many locations piggyback on it)
Charge Hub
FLO
Sun Country

I just got updated eta (and pricing, grumble), he said likely coming in 2017.. kinda disappointed but it will be sweet when she finally arrives!

@Hanshan, I am contemplating ordering a 2017 E-tron Prestige (US spec) in the very near future, as a replacement for my 2012 A3 TDI, which is subject to the buyback. I am currently waiting for pricing, although I may pull the trigger anyway, especially if it looks like the delivery would be pushed into 2017 if I wait much longer (I would like to claim the federal tax credit in this year).

I also am thinking about the Nano Grey. I was able to see it at a local dealer on a TT, and I liked it, although it's definitely different than Daytona. Kind of a clay color with a little bit of green in it. If you are interested in seeing a picture I took, let me know and I will e-mail it to you (just reply with a good e-mail address).

@Hanshan

I pre-ordered a 2016 in Sept of 2015. It was built the last week of October and arrived at the port in RI before Thanksgiving. That's after the ship stopped in Halifax, NS, supposedly to off-load Canadian market E-trons (and other VAG products, of course). If the EPA ad CARB certifications hadn't caused the E-trons to be held at the port in the U.S., delivery would have been the first week of December.

Pricing on 2017 US spec E-trons should now be available from your dealer. It was apparently published on 8/10. My Nano Grey Prestige was ordered yesterday ;).

How's the order of your E Tron going? I ordered my 2017 on September 9, it was made on October 15, and is still currently sitting in Germany waiting for shipment. Not sure what the delay is but it's pretty significant :?

Rpgonzalez":1cy91u2u said:
How's the order of your E Tron going? I ordered my 2017 on September 9, it was made on October 15, and is still currently sitting in Germany waiting for shipment. Not sure what the delay is but it's pretty significant :?
I ordered mine early September, supposedly in port now, at dealership next week.

My E-tron was delivered to the dealership on November 8. I waited for a few weeks to see if I had any indication on whether I would be able to make my TDI buyback happen before the end of the year (short answer: NO :roll: ), and then I decided to purchase on November 30. One week into owning the car, and I am pretty much loving it.

FredT":xkuf8x2m said:
I ordered mine early September, supposedly in port now, at dealership next week.
Well, faster then I thought, it arrived and will be in my driveway tomorrow.

Back