Parking/Proximity Sensors Not Always On

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nhatman

My Honda Odyssey have parking / proximity sensors that are always on at low speeds, so that as I pull into a parking spot, it's on and working. However, on my e-tron, the sensors will only go on if I either turn them on manually or have put the car in reverse. So if I were to pull my car into the garage (head in), the sensors will not be working unless I manually turn them on. Does anybody else's car do this? If this is part of the design, it's rather stupid.

Nhatman":2typstys said:
My Honda Odyssey have parking / proximity sensors that are always on at low speeds, so that as I pull into a parking spot, it's on and working. However, on my e-tron, the sensors will only go on if I either turn them on manually or have put the car in reverse. So if I were to pull my car into the garage (head in), the sensors will not be working unless I manually turn them on. Does anybody else's car do this? If this is part of the design, it's rather stupid.

I'm not sure I'd agree with you saying that the logic Audi used is stupid.
I suppose it's a matter of "each to their own".
I'd prefer not to have my proximity sensors on when I'm driving in. After all, I have full view of where I'm going. If I think it might be close, then I can manually engage the system.

I test drove the 2017 Q7 and it apparently has the sensors always on so at some point, they've seem to have changed it. I understand it may be a preference for some people but I guess from my particular point of view, since I'm so used to having it on all the time, as I'm pulling in and getting closer to the wall/obstacle, I'm thinking to myself, "There must be more room than I think because the sensors haven't gone off yet". I also think (could be totally wrong here) that most cars that have the sensors, that they are always on as well. The Audi guy thought it was weird too when I told him the error was different than the Q7.

I guess it's like any technology these days. You become so dependent on it, you don't remember how you survived without it before.

Nhatman":2g5z1utl said:
I test drove the 2017 Q7 and it apparently has the sensors always on so at some point, they've seem to have changed it. I understand it may be a preference for some people but I guess from my particular point of view, since I'm so used to having it on all the time, as I'm pulling in and getting closer to the wall/obstacle, I'm thinking to myself, "There must be more room than I think because the sensors haven't gone off yet". I also think (could be totally wrong here) that most cars that have the sensors, that they are always on as well. The Audi guy thought it was weird too when I told him the error was different than the Q7.

I guess it's like any technology these days. You become so dependent on it, you don't remember how you survived without it before.

I haven't driven my 2017 much, but I believe the 2017 eTrons have it always on as well. I remember it complaining about front and back obstacles as I've parked it in the garage.

Well, my wife and I find the proximity system to be worse than useless. We keep our car in the garage, and the system beeps itself silly every time we back out as we pass by the trash bin and garage door frame. It's like the boy crying, "Wolf!!" By now, beeping while backing up is so normal to us, I doubt we would pay attention if it was trying to warn of a real hazard. More technology that isn't of any real use.

I actually find it very useful. Although, I do usually ignore it until it's a solid constant beep; then I know I'm really close and should probably stop.

arne":1wzu51du said:
Well, my wife and I find the proximity system to be worse than useless. We keep our car in the garage, and the system beeps itself silly every time we back out as we pass by the trash bin and garage door frame. It's like the boy crying, "Wolf!!" By now, beeping while backing up is so normal to us, I doubt we would pay attention if it was trying to warn of a real hazard. More technology that isn't of any real use.

Same here. I rely more on the camera for backing up.

I can see the logic in both (only reverse, or all the time). I'm fine with the way it is.

Back