N.A. e-tron owners - any brake sevrio problems experienced?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangtime10

This is a call out to fellow e-tron owners in North America.
I've been reading owners on other forums experiencing brake sevro issues which is beginning to raise a caution flag for me.
Here are some quotes of the description of the problem.

"For me, I was driving along, very conservatively at a constant 50mph, and suddenly the brake servo warning light comes on (don't think I was even using the brakes), informing me that the car should be returned to the workshop. Not only did the light come on, but a warning message also stated that the engine would now be limited to (I think) 1650rpm, which caused the vehicle to gradually coast along to almost no speed at all, and then began to shake (in the same way as when engine power is limited by a blown engine coil)."

"I suddenly got "Brake Servo Disabled, please contact dealer, you may continue driving" followed by a yellow warning triangle in the dash (constant).
This happened twice yesterday on two separate trips, and came out of nowhere, right after start. I did nothing out of the ordinary with the brake pedal, or anything else."

Has anyone encountered this or similar issues like this yet?

Yes, I've had this exact problems twice. The first time I brought it in, the dealership told me that it was due to my irregular charging that throws the computer system off--and that there was no actual technical issues with my car after they ran a test.

The second time occurred last night as I was driving around 25 mph and my car suddenly felt like it was rumbling and then halted. After that, the engine started sounding extremely loud. So I turned it off, then turned it back on again. As I am driving, the car suddenly stopped and so I had to turn the car off then on again and drove home cautiously.

This is a serious issue as I commute alot on the freeway from and to work. I could not imagine this happening on the freeway, I could seriously get into an accident. I am bringing this car in this Monday so they can check it out, however at this point I think for a whole car system to be dependable on regular charging schedule (and if not, breaks down) is a very fragile system for such an expensive car like an Audi. I would be more interested in getting out of my lease and getting into an All-Road at this point...

jle":3ktdo571 said:
Yes, I've had this exact problems twice. The first time I brought it in, the dealership told me that it was due to my irregular charging that throws the computer system off--and that there was no actual technical issues with my car after they ran a test.

The second time occurred last night as I was driving around 25 mph and my car suddenly felt like it was rumbling and then halted. After that, the engine started sounding extremely loud. So I turned it off, then turned it back on again. As I am driving, the car suddenly stopped and so I had to turn the car off then on again and drove home cautiously.

This is a serious issue as I commute alot on the freeway from and to work. I could not imagine this happening on the freeway, I could seriously get into an accident. I am bringing this car in this Monday so they can check it out, however at this point I think for a whole car system to be dependable on regular charging schedule (and if not, breaks down) is a very fragile system for such an expensive car like an Audi. I would be more interested in getting out of my lease and getting into an All-Road at this point...

Just an update on this. After a few days, the dealer called back to let me know that they ordered a new computer system to replace the current one in my car. Geesh!

Sorry to hear of your problems @jle and @hangtime10. From what I've just read, it appears that your dealership doesn't really know what the problem is. The e-tron being comprised of multiple distributed "computer systems", couldn't they be a little bit more specific?

jerry3561":39cp6aqx said:
Sorry to hear of your problems @jle and @hangtime10. From what I've just read, it appears that your dealership doesn't really know what the problem is. The e-tron being comprised of multiple distributed "computer systems", couldn't they be a little bit more specific?

I agree, it's all being explained to me over the phone from the auto technicians very vaguely. In fact, I dont think anyone at Audi really knows much about the e-tron to be honest with you. I'm going to receive the car back on Monday and hopefully with a full diagnosed report and going to let you know.

You know something, after 18 months of ownership and several visits to discuss technical issues with Audi technicians including servicing, I tend to agree with you. I am not confident that any of the Audi technical team here in the UK, including Audi UK, have had the depth of training that they should have. Sometimes even some seemingly basic questions go unanswered!

jerry3561":2wobg1ci said:
You know something, after 18 months of ownership and several visits to discuss technical issues with Audi technicians including servicing, I tend to agree with you. I am not confident that any of the Audi technical team here in the UK, including Audi UK, have had the depth of training that they should have. Sometimes even some seemingly basic questions go unanswered!

Yes, I agree. An issue where the car might halt suddenly is extremely dangerous. We have some laws here in California that will protect us from new vehicle that is deemed a "lemon." If there are 2 fixes that still do not solve the issue (if the issue is potentially life-threatening, in this case it is), then you can get out of the lease w/o charge. At this point, I think that Audi went into the electric sector prematurely and would feel more comfortable driving their Q5 or All Road since those seem to be fairly reliable.

Well, I do not think one should be afraid of a car because it is new, or fault the mfg or dealers for lack of knowledge. ALL new products have a ramp up time, and humans do not become experts overnight. My car in the US experienced a fault that required 2 weeks without my car, the dealer had to run everything through audi germany, but they couldn't have been nicer. I was one of the 1st US deliveries (having ordered the car 2 years ago). As complex a system as this car is, it is remarkably trouble free after 10,000 miles and feels like it has been put through the testing wringer pretty thoroughly. Other than a few design quirks they will probably resolve with the next generation, it has exceeded my expectations. A rare feat indeed.

Here's an update everyone.

Issue: Brake Servio > RPM > Car Rattles > Car Gets Really Loud > Car Immediately Shuts Down

#1 Fix: Diagnostic Test Says No Issue
#2 Fix: Replace Computer
#3 Fix: Diagnosed Short Circuiting, which they apparently Fixed.
#4 Fix: TBD

I am on the #4 Fix, since my car broke down yesterday in the streets while a Honda Accord almost plummeted into my car that potentially could have been an accident. I would disagree with user 5x112 who said I shouldnt worry and be more understandable. Not when your car now more than qualifies as a lemon vehicle and almost got into two accidents––thank god it did not happen on the freeway. Additionally, is it normal for me to fear for my life that I might die on the Los Angeles 405 or 110 freeway because my car is a piece of shit.

Back