EV mode unavailable

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idk2016

I've had my car for about 3 weeks,and it suddenly didn't have EV mode as an option on the list in the MMI on the first drive of the day with 39km available.I kept hitting the EV button,and finally had the FULL engine mode list. The car regeneration screen showed an Amber colored "engine" with green battery.Anyone else experience this?

I hope that's not a serious issue. I've had mine for almost 4 months and I haven't encountered that issue. For sure I'll keep an eye out.
The closest issue that I've had was switching to Sport mode and not being able to go back to full EV (even with 10+ indicated for range). I had to restart the car or if I was patient, drive in Hybrid Auto mode for more than 10 minutes before I can select EV again. The warning light never did light up though.
I suggest that you also post this on Speakev.com as they're a lot more seasoned EV users and a larger e-tron community there.

I had a very similar problem soon after I first took delivery. It happened on a cold (+2 degrees Celsius) morning in January 2015. It was apparently caused by the anti-condensation feature built into the engine management software. Normal EV mode returned after a couple of miles.

thanks for the input,and I am hoping this doesn't turn into a bigger issue.So far,it hasn't crept up again post a charge,and being parked over 5 hours.The temperature was well above the one jerry3561 noted,something like 24C in my scenario.

I get this EV unavailable issue virtually every morning after I have charged the car over night. It sometimes also happens later in the day. I never get it when the car is in pure EV mode, only hybrid mode.
Is it worth me taking it to the garage, as this means a day out of my life as my local Audi garage can't service E-trons :(

I've had my car for about 6 weeks now and the only time I've seen that come up is right after running the battery to zero and it switches to "hybrid hold" mode. I'll flip it to "hybrid auto" and the EV mode comes back in a minute or two. I've never had it happen any other time.

I'm pretty sure this is a design feature. Whenever the ICE motor starts (for the first time in a trip), it needs to fully warm up. Even when you stop at a traffic light, the gas engine will keep idling until it is up to operating temperature. This disables the EV mode. Once warmed up (in a few minutes), EV mode returns.
The gas engine will come on whenever you switch to Sport mode or hit the accerator hard. This has happened to me many times in my 14,000+ km. No worries.

Don":oekcu9c6 said:
I'm pretty sure this is a design feature. Whenever the ICE motor starts (for the first time in a trip), it needs to fully warm up. Even when you stop at a traffic light, the gas engine will keep idling until it is up to operating temperature. This disables the EV mode. Once warmed up (in a few minutes), EV mode returns.
The gas engine will come on whenever you switch to Sport mode or hit the accerator hard. This has happened to me many times in my 14,000+ km. No worries.

My situation involves "ideal" temperature for the battery. According to Battery university's site, the ideal charging temperature is between : 10C - 30C (50°F and 86°F) . Where I have a full charge,and I think I may have been switching from hybrid to EV. Or wanting to only use EV mode. Otherwise,the ONLY time I expect EV mode to be unavailable: battery has no charge left, or below 0C/32F.

I bought mine in September of this year and had no problems when the weather was warm. Now that it has turned colder, I am having the issue you describe, when the temps dipped into the 40's or low 50's (7ish c) , hybrid mode comes on but the motor runs very hard-the mpg went from the default 300 down to 30 in about a minutes time. I cannot put it back into EV mode to stop the rapid consumption, and the engine management switching back and forth between EV and ice is wonky- if it shows running in battery (like when I'm coasting) if I even breathe on the gas pedal, it immediately goes into ICE mode. It behaves more like battery hold mode.
I just dropped off the etron for the 5000 mile service and they said that this was not normal and they will have a technician look into it. I'm in a loaner right now and it will not be until the end of the week before I know more.

Back