Audi roof rails "detune" engine?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfortson

Just had my 5k service and picked up the Audi cross bars for my car. The service advisor (and the parts manager) both told me that the roof rails will "detune" the engine (I assume they mean limit the sport mode or dynamic mode). They said there are sensors/magnets in the detentes in the front and back of each rail that signals the car that you're carrying something on the roof. I haven't tried the racks out yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot and report back.

rfortson":1eu4nxfv said:
Just had my 5k service and picked up the Audi cross bars for my car. The service advisor (and the parts manager) both told me that the roof rails will "detune" the engine (I assume they mean limit the sport mode or dynamic mode). They said there are sensors/magnets in the detentes in the front and back of each rail that signals the car that you're carrying something on the roof. I haven't tried the racks out yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot and report back.

Not for the A3, I believe for the Q5 and up it's like that. Being that it's an SUV with higher center of gravity, It's even mentioned in the Q5 manual.

bruintoo":7rdb9kur said:
rfortson":7rdb9kur said:

Not for the A3, I believe for the Q5 and up it's like that. Being that it's an SUV with higher center of gravity, It's even mentioned in the Q5 manual.

Thanks Ben, that's what I was figuring. I haven't seen anything like it mentioned for the A3. For the Q's it seems like a good idea/design.

Back