Where is the charger stored?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiman

Can anyone tell me where the Level 1 charger is stored in the A3 e-Tron? On the Volt there is a space under the rear trunk, but it doesn't look like Audi has created a space for the EVSE on the e-Tron?

The included charger is level 2 (110/220 in US trim). It is fairly large and comes in a soft case with a 110 cord and a 220 cord. If memory serves the bag is about 18x16x5 inches. There is no storage place for in in contrast to the Volt and CMax Energi. If you are curious the Porsche dealer will already have them for their 2 plug-in models.

"Fairly large" is an understatement, the thing is *giant* compared to what it needs to be. It straps to the load floor in the back, on the left side just behind the seat - it comes in a cloth case with a strap/clip that connects it to the floor and keeps it from moving around.

Because it's so big and bulky, mine sits in a closet at home, but here in the Netherlands we have a lot of opportunities to charge from public charging points. They also make a mounting kit to hang the thing on the wall in your garage if you only use it to charge at home.

If I lived someplace where I needed to take it with me to charge most of the time, I would buy one of the many much smaller aftermarket options. They even make some that incorporate the required electronics into the plug, so it's really just a cable (all the charging happens through a charger on-board the car; the electronics in the cable just verify the supply).

Yes.. I agree. I leave mine at home, and only charge at home with the included charger. Its not worth unplugging and wrapping it up in the case and compromising all that storage space, for 17 miles of EV on the way back home. Not only is the charger homeless.. so is the Jack. There is no place for it except under the drivers seat, which compromises rear leg room, or strapped down on the rear deck, which compromises a nice cargo area. Audi could have put the jack where the tools are behind the tail lights, and put the tools under the cargo deck in a long line in the foam between the battery and the bumper.... I guess it was an afterthought.

I have a multi compartment,High Road Gearnormous cargo carrier that consolidates stuff in the cargo area.It stores my 120V cable in a side pocket,the large adaptor,with the rolled up port connector attached in the zipped,large horizontal pocket.I store the NEMA cable under the cargo floor in that horizontal space at the bumper edge in case I ever need it.Otherwise,I use L2 chargers. It's weird coming down from a CUV to this A3 etron where I need to flip the 40% side seat down to just haul my golf bag. Wished Audi launched the A4 as its first North American mass market etron .

http://imgur.com/8H48MDu

While it is large, it does provide the capability to charge from a large selection of mains supplies both single and three phase and at a variety of charging currents all by connecting the appropriate input cable. One can connect up to a standard "mains" socket and charge at 230 VAC 5A/10A or connect up to a 415 VAC socket and charge at 230 VAC 8A/16A. I for one find the flexibility extremely useful, albeit it may be available from other EVSE on the market.

5x112":17w3nomn said:
Yes.. I agree. I leave mine at home, and only charge at home with the included charger. Its not worth unplugging and wrapping it up in the case and compromising all that storage space, for 17 miles of EV on the way back home. Not only is the charger homeless.. so is the Jack. There is no place for it except under the drivers seat, which compromises rear leg room, or strapped down on the rear deck, which compromises a nice cargo area. Audi could have put the jack where the tools are behind the tail lights, and put the tools under the cargo deck in a long line in the foam between the battery and the bumper.... I guess it was an afterthought.

New Canadian owner here, I did exactly that it was a really tight fit, but the jack did go into the space where the tow hook and tools were on the right hand panel behind the tail light, I then moved the tow hook and tools to the slot in the foam under the trunk floor.

ZetaMSZ006":1ana33go said:
5x112":1ana33go said:

New Canadian owner here, I did exactly that it was a really tight fit, but the jack did go into the space where the tow hook and tools were on the right hand panel behind the tail light, I then moved the tow hook and tools to the slot in the foam under the trunk floor.

Of course, since there is no spare anyway, you will need to have the car towed if you have a serious flat. So ditch the useless jack! I got a flat on the way to Lake Tahoe and had to spend 24 hours in Truckee awaiting 2 new tires from the wholesaler in Sacramento. Royal P.I.T.A. Tire store said that happens all the times to Tesla Model S's as well. No spare is a bad thing...

I laughed at your problem with the spare (sorry), its one of my greatest fears.. stuck without a spare. I changed the wheels on my car (see lowering and sport suspension in Modification forum) and decided not to sell them because I figured I would get a flat and need to use one of tires as a spare at some point. Especially since I fully expect to trash one of my wheels and have to order a replacement...:)

Not only is the charger homeless.. so is the Jack.
Our charger sits on a shelf in the garage; we already had a Juicebox in the house from a prior leased EV.

If you are careful, the jack and it's little pouch can fit into the right rear side compartment (something else is stowed there but there's room; it's the same area the emergency fuel door access 'cord' is found as well)

Back