Overall efficiency, battery capacity of e-Tron vs other PHEV

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiman

Found this interesting image on InsideEvs:

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01bb088a04d5970d-550wi.png

Looks like the Audi doesn't stack up very well compared to other recent PHEV offerings. The 8.8kWh battery pack in the Audi doesn't seem to give as much range as other battery packs around the same size. I guess it also brings into fact that all sorts of things affect this, like aerodynamics, electric motor efficiency etc.

The Sonata PHEV ranks pretty well?!

I've run my etron on a 1400 mile road trip that included a mountain region using only about 2 tanks of gas in hybrid mode [full battery].It has gone 70 miles an hour in EV mode,no ICE. Some of those vehicles in the chart cannot remain in EV only mode while at highway speed.This was a big part of my decision to purchase the etron. Some require the ICE to run parallel with the battery to maintain highway speeds.Thinking the Prius,and the Volt? For an 8.8kWh battery,it can accelerate faster than many of the cars in the chart,and I find the drive a lot better. Test driven: i3, Volt, Energi. A3 etron EV,and hybrid range is very useful given how you can actually drive the etron.

audiman":1612pg9w said:
Found this interesting image on InsideEvs:

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01bb088a04d5970d-550wi.png

Looks like the Audi doesn't stack up very well compared to other recent PHEV offerings. The 8.8kWh battery pack in the Audi doesn't seem to give as much range as other battery packs around the same size. I guess it also brings into fact that all sorts of things affect this, like aerodynamics, electric motor efficiency etc.

The Sonata PHEV ranks pretty well?!
That graph is crap. That's combination of electric ranges from EPA and European NEDC. The Volvo XC90 T8 only has a rating of 14 miles from EPA. Hyundai Sonata PHEV cannot run on pure EV miles without ICE starting up most of the times at highway speeds or onramp, etc.

idk2016":mcylkyow said:
I've run my etron on a 1400 mile road trip that included a mountain region using only about 2 tanks of gas in hybrid mode [full battery].It has gone 70 miles an hour in EV mode,no ICE. Some of those vehicles in the chart cannot remain in EV only mode while at highway speed.This was a big part of my decision to purchase the etron. Some require the ICE to run parallel with the battery to maintain highway speeds.Thinking the Prius,and the Volt? For an 8.8kWh battery,it can accelerate faster than many of the cars in the chart,and I find the drive a lot better. Test driven: i3, Volt, Energi. A3 etron EV,and hybrid range is very useful given how you can actually drive the etron.

I know you put the ? after the Volt. As a previous Volt driver perhaps I can clarify.

The Volt is actually more capable of high speeds (in electric drive) than the e-tron. The volt can reach 100mph in pure electric drive as opposed to the e-tron which moves to ICE at 80mph.

However, that is not the whole story as the Volt has a max speed of 100mph whereas the e-tron is somewhere around 130mph.

The reason for this is that the Volt only ever drives its wheels with electric motors, the ICE (when engaged) simply provides electricity to the motors to drive the wheels. The e-tron, on the other hand, drives the wheels either with the electric motor or with the ICE (or both) so it is limited in absolute top speed by the ICE, not the electric motors.

Back