in place of the license plate

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominic

Hi all, do someone have some info on what is the purpose of the black plastic protrusion that is where the european front license place would go?

I asked the dealer but did not get a really satisfying answer.

I'm under the impression that the radar thing is the round lens at the very base of the grill...

Dominic":31v0pym6 said:
Hi all, do someone have some info on what is the purpose of the black plastic protrusion that is where the european front license place would go?

I asked the dealer but did not get a really satisfying answer.
I specifically ordered "Front License Delete" option thinking this would get rid of that black plate. However, all I got was an extra plate with the word "e-tron" to go on top of that black plate where the license plate will normally go. To the poster that responded about the radar for adaptive cruise control. We're not talking about that round protruding thing beneath this black plate thing.

I guess you got this:

A3-e-tron-plug-in-e1446587401838.jpeg

So that is just an empty plastic cover. The full grille without that cover or plate would look really better. That's a weird thing.

Thanks Bruintoo for the info.

Yeah.. so here is the deal with the license plate. (I ordered an etron a year and a 1/2 ago and got it Jan 15) . The grill in the us marketing materials show no front plastic bits. This is a photo shop. When I first saw the car, I almost didn't buy it because of the huge plastic psuedo euro license plate. You can't get rid of it. It is part of the grill and the audi chrome grill stops at the plastic. Anyway, I tried to order the Euro license plate blank insert, to get rid of the american bulbous one, but no.. you can't order it in the states. You can order a Euro frame and plate aftermarket in the States from lots of websites.

bruintoo":2tm0pmrl said:
I specifically ordered "Front License Delete" option thinking this would get rid of that black plate. However, all I got was an extra plate with the word "e-tron" to go on top of that black plate where the license plate will normally go. To the poster that responded about the radar for adaptive cruise control. We're not talking about that round protruding thing beneath this black plate thing.

Thanks for the details.... can you tell me how it is connected? Is it just clipped in place or?

Sorry, also, where does the license plate go if I live in a place (Canada) that requires a front license plate? It's the same shape as the USA plates, not the European ones...

Here's what the e-Tron looks like with a North American front license plate. The plate holder is on the 'front license plate delete' plastic piece from the looks of it.

bf6974b84e323382b4eb65c9cc1aec69.jpg

There is nothing is holding the black plate on the grill. It is integrated into the grill plastic. It cannot be removed or cut out (or there would be a GIANT hole there. ) The bulbous protrusion can be removed, but there is black plastic behind it that needs another type of euro or us license plate holder to to fill it. I sure hope they change this design, or at least offer a sporty grill replacement that looks like the original marketing photos instead of this monstrosity. Who's idea was this?

The front license plate delete is just clipped on. I didn't like how it stood out either and had the dealer remove it.

Only the bulbous, redundant "ETRON" protrusion can be removed. the euro frame is still behind it. Anyone can remove the "delete" plastic by putting small fingers through the grill and finding the 4 tabs and releasing them. I bought a euro plate and holder and it fits perfectly in the space and doesn't protrude.

5x112":3fmspp29 said:
Only the bulbous, redundant "ETRON" protrusion can be removed. the euro frame is still behind it. Anyone can remove the "delete" plastic by putting small fingers through the grill and finding the 4 tabs and releasing them. I bought a euro plate and holder and it fits perfectly in the space and doesn't protrude.

Pictures?

5x112":15er2s9d said:
My US spec Etron with a euro plate
audi%20license_zpsi7gpnho2.jpg

audi%20license%202_zpswmcascye.jpg

I like that! I was wondering about getting a Euro license plate for the front. I believe we are supposed to have a front license in Texas, but about half the cars I see don't have one. I'd rather have a Euro plate on front.

5x112":11a4dcx7 said:
You COULD get a euro plate made with the info from your US plate.

Yeah, I thought about that, but where's the fun? I was also considering it as a cheap way to get a personalized plate. I figure if a cop is going to write me up for no front plate, he'd do it for the TX Euro-style plate as well.

When you mounted yours, did it just screw into existing holes? I saw you got it from customeuropeanplates.com.

You have to get the mounting bracket, and the bracket screws into the black plastic frame that is part of the grill. Then the plate is slipped into the bracket, and there is another piece that comes with the bracket that snaps into the bracket that holds the plate secure. Here is the all you need to know:
https://www.customeuropeanplates.com/mo ... tions.html

5x112":2tp9rdso said:
You COULD get a euro plate made with the info from your US plate.

Okay, I'm getting ready to get a Euro plate and I have a few questions.

- Is that your FL license info on the Euro plate?
- To release the 4 clips holding the e-tron bulge on, did you go from the front, or open the hood and go from the back?

And an unrelated question, what crossbars are you using for your roof rack? I tried my JSW crossbars, but those didn't really work. Any alternatives to the Audi ones, or the Thule ones?

Thanks!

Back