US market E-tron deliveries

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bruintoo":bwjrwl6q said:
Jeffn31l":bwjrwl6q said:
About to sign my lease papers: A3 Etron Prestige, sport package, fully loaded. Blk/Blk. 36 mo, 15k miles/yr. 2.5% Apr. $0 down (as down payment on a lease is really just a prepayment in the long run)

Audi has set the residual at $22,306 which seems low. Monthly
Payment is $686 which was higher than expected. Debating on switching to the Q3 with gas prices as they are.
Yup the residual on my Premium Plus is $21,356.65 which is about 49% of new cost of $43,585. Good news is the driving home, predicted EV miles was 26. We actually drove around 30 miles before the ICE kicked in! Still waiting for Account Number and PIN to complete vehicle registration for e-tron connect. Apparently, these come from Verizon, given to Audi USA, which then emails them to owners.
-Ben

Wow, that's some really good EV range. Keep us updated on your average!

My dealer actually sold my car twice... and to me second, so I'm going to be waiting quite a while. We'll probably do a custom order and wait the 3 months.

pkulak":qwfbj18g said:
bruintoo":qwfbj18g said:
Jeffn31l":qwfbj18g said:
About to sign my lease papers: A3 Etron Prestige, sport package, fully loaded. Blk/Blk. 36 mo, 15k miles/yr. 2.5% Apr. $0 down (as down payment on a lease is really just a prepayment in the long run)

Payment is $686 which was higher than expected. Debating on switching to the Q3 with gas prices as they are.
Yup the residual on my Premium Plus is $21,356.65 which is about 49% of new cost of $43,585. Good news is the driving home, predicted EV miles was 26. We actually drove around 30 miles before the ICE kicked in! Still waiting for Account Number and PIN to complete vehicle registration for e-tron connect. Apparently, these come from Verizon, given to Audi USA, which then emails them to owners.
-Ben

Wow, that's some really good EV range. Keep us updated on your average!

My dealer actually sold my car twice... and to me second, so I'm going to be waiting quite a while. We'll probably do a custom order and wait the 3 months.

Which dealer?

Have others received their car yet? I'm still getting the "any day now" response from my southern california dealer. Seems crazy that I can track my Amazon packages in detail but the dealers seem clueless on when the cars will arrive at their dealership. :)

Audi Wilsonville. I would still totally recommend them though. They are going to give us a loaner until the new car shows up, which means I will turn in my current lease and drive around a free Audi.

Got mine from Pacific Audi in Torrance, CA. This is my third Audi from them. My first Audi was a 2006 A3, then a 2008 TT Roadster which I have already sold, and now this. I special ordered the scuba blue and gray interior back in August. By the way, anybody received their ACCOUNT and PIN emails from Audi USA for their e-tron connect?

Not sure I buy that. How can you travel 30 miles on EV, when the EPA says it only goes 16 miles? The low electric range and uncompetitive lease deals is why I'm seriously considering other options...

bruintoo":9mkinhwk said:
Jeffn31l":9mkinhwk said:

-Ben

Got my A3 etron today. Florett Silver Premium with 17" package, heated seats, black headliner. Drove 16 miles (pretty much hypermiling under 40 mph) and got under 15 miles of EV. On the return journey switched to Hybrid mode and averaged 22 mpg using mostly ICE. Needless to say, extremely disappointed. I charged the car for 8 hours and got a measly 15 miles! My Prius plugin with less than half the battery size and three hour charge, easily gave me 12+ EV miles. What going on - Audi?!

Update: 2nd day : after adjusting the drive mode to 'Comfort' I was able to get 20 miles on EV and 37 mpg on IC. Much Happier now :)

I learned that those who went for the non-Navigation MMI miss out on ANY stats or records of their range/performance as Audi has removed the Etron Stats screens from the MMI. All you get is a few basic stats on the tiny driver console - just current trip, no history, nothing. Turns out that there may still be hope to get this data off the smartphone app once the etron-connect (Not the general Audi Connect) has been enabled. the app will hopefully also allow setting of charge timer which I can't do now with the basic MMI. BTW - the Charger is huge and cables are very short, so those who want to back in their car to the wall (charger) - tough luck!

On the positive side, car build is top notch and looks good. I wasn't impressed by the drive quality initially but after shedding my 'Prius driving attitude', I am now enjoying the tighter, quieter and definitely solid+stable drive feel of the etron. I am learning more about the ICT features - not so bad! a lot better on higher trims though.

After some disappointment on the EV range on the first day, I am definitely becoming more and more impressed by the car overall as I familiarize more with the car. After some adjustments or settings, I am now getting 18-20 miles on EV on a very cold winter day so hopeful that range would improve in summer. I like the nice subtle touches such as dimming radio/music when reversing, MMI pop-up when phone call comes in etc.

avisriv":34gf18fk said:
Got my A3 etron today. Florett Silver Premium with 17" package, heated seats, black headliner. Drove 16 miles (pretty much hypermiling under 40 mph) and got under 15 miles of EV. On the return journey switched to Hybrid mode and averaged 22 mpg using mostly ICE. Needless to say, extremely disappointed. I charged the car for 8 hours and got a measly 15 miles! My Prius plugin with less than half the battery size and three hour charge, easily gave me 12+ EV miles. What going on - Audi?!

Another disappointment for those who went for the non-Navigation MMI is that they miss out on ANY stats or records of their range/performance as Audi has removed the Etron Stats screens from the MMI. All you get is a few basic stats on the tiny driver console - just current trip, no history, nothing. Big fail for Audi. They should at least make the driving stats available to each owner, not just those willing to shell out another $2100 for the Nav unit. BTW - the dealer had no clue about this difference and did not advise that I would miss out key data features.

On the positive side, car build is top notch and looks good. Drive performance is 'meh' so far ... hoping that it might improve after the first 1000 miles. EV range is below expectations. Hybrid efficiency is abysmal, at par with my heavy 8-seater SUV so far. Charger is huge and cables are very short, so those who want to back in their car to the wall (charger) - tough luck! Information tech (ICT) is OK (maybe it is better on higher trims, but Premium is below average). Can only have one device on the bluetooth sync list for example. Haven't played with Audi Connect yet - so maybe I can still have hope.

I was very excited and waited and waited for the car. So far the car is somewhat of a dud but I'll send more updates as my outlook improves.
It's actually on the e-tron brochures with an asterisk*. Certain features are only available with MMI Plus screen. However, once you get the e-tron connect app working, you'll be able to get all those stats and also be able to schedule HVAC and charging remotely. With that said, I don't think anybody has been able to get their e-tron connect services working yet. As far as driving dynamics, it's similar to the 2006 A3 that I traded for this, and I love that car (hence I got this newer version and the fact that it is a PHEV is a bonus). So I don't get the "meh" driving performance. It is eligible for CA green HOV sticker, however, those ran out already - coincidence? It will be eligible for $1,500 CA rebate and the Audi Finance included the $4,168 federal tax rebate into their leases.
-Ben

80-img_8997_184a41768d378b8fd58e31c9882a5737b041251b.jpg

80-img_8998_094d8c72681c9f27d6a8ae74bec529c48a5855c0.jpg

80-img_8999_5d34d9f3e033bb098e0372675a1d9edca8dcb434.jpg

80-img_8996_b166895dd191452ded01dfceff4ade86865d27b4.jpg

It's actually on the e-tron brochures with an asterisk*. Certain features are only available with MMI Plus screen. However, once you get the e-tron connect app working, you'll be able to get all those stats and also be able to schedule HVAC and charging remotely. With that said, I don't think anybody has been able to get their e-tron connect services working yet. As far as driving dynamics, it's similar to the 2006 A3 that I traded for this, and I love that car (hence I got this newer version and the fact that it is a PHEV is a bonus). So I don't get the "meh" driving performance. It is eligible for CA green HOV sticker, however, those ran out already - coincidence? It will be eligible for $1,500 CA rebate and the Audi Finance included the $4,168 federal tax rebate into their leases.
-Ben

FYI -I am hearing from the dealer that Audi Connect is NOT available to those cars which do not have MMI Plus installed. So the e-tron connect app to get data and set charge timer is not an option for me.

avisriv":cbiqlbwd said:
-Ben

FYI -I am hearing from the dealer that Audi Connect is NOT available to those cars which do not have MMI Plus installed. So the e-tron connect app to get data and set charge timer is not an option for me.

You're confusing two things here. There is the Audi Connect (which comes with Technology Package and is available to other Audis) and is actually serviced by AT&T Wireless here in the US. And then there is the e-tron connect app services, which is actually built into every A3 e-tron and only available in A3 e-trons. In the US, it is serviced by Verizon Telematics. So actually some cars have two SIMs one for Audi Connect and one for e-tron connect. And some like my Premium Plus, only has one built-in SIM for the e-tron connect.

My turn to receive a new e-tron today. :D

It's a US market, Scuba Blue Premium. Love the car but was reminded why I dislike the buying process.

Here are some random thoughts and observations after a couple of hours driving and setting things up. Weather today was clear, 21ºF/-6ºC temps with dry roads.

At delivery, there were 24 reported EV miles available. Went for a 30 mile, hour long drive in battery charge/auto drive modes. Top speed was 45 mph/72 kph. Mileage display went up to 27 miles and then battery charge wasn't available (it defaulted to battery hold). Reported gas consumption was 38.7 mpg (US gallon). Total range to empty was initially listed at 505 miles (gas + battery). While in battery hold mode, I could get the instaneous gas mpg to go up to a max of 300. Or a low of "---" when the engine shut off at a stop light.

A couple of shorter (less than 4 miles total), stop and go trips in EV mode took it down to 18 miles. Using a public, level 2, ChargePoint site, 2.02 KWh brought it back to 27 miles ev range in 45 minutes.

Bluetooth pairing to a phone is straightforward but music lacks base. The equalizer helped some but I've heard better on hardwired connections. I haven't tried using the auxiliary input yet to see if that improves the sound.

It was unclear from the marketing material what the shape of the steering wheel would be, a circle or one with a flattened bottom. It is circular, perhaps the sports package has the flattened wheel.

Also unclear is what the backseat looks like. When I did a test drive, they said those cars didn't necessarily have the final design so I didn't look. What was delivered is a 60/40 split (larger bit on the passenger side) with a pass through for longer items. There is an armrest that folds down, has a shallow storage area under the cushion and includes two pull out cup holders.

If you have tall travel mugs, they won't fit in the cup holders in the front console. The dash overhangs the holders too much.

Previously downloaded the iOS app but hadn't registered since the car wasn't mine until today. Since I didn't buy Audi Connect, the salesman didn't think the app would work and couldn't set it up. Called the number in the app (click on "No account?), after about 10 minutes on hold, it took less than 5 minutes to set things up (VIN, name, etc.). Next up will be an e-mail with my login and pin. I was told getting those may take a day or two, Verizon Telematics has to receive the request and set things up.

It'll take some time for my muscle memory to learn Audi-ese. For example, when a list of options is shown on the display, turning the control button counter/anti-clockwise to move down the list feels backwards. Maybe I just need to find the setting to reverse that behavior.

Being able to retract the MMI screen manually is a Good Thing™ but the button placement on the row with the driving mode and ev/battery mode buttons seems odd. I

If the screen is retracted and you put the car in reverse, it pops up to display the rear camera and then retracts again when you shift back to "D". Nice touch.

It would be fascinating to know the thought processes behind some of the decisions that Audi makes:
Why is there a jack considering there is no spare tire? Especially considering that there is no place to store the jack other than clipping it to one side of the trunk space?
Even though I don't have Audi's nav system (the map apps in my phone have more up to date info), nav still gets a dedicated button on the steering wheel.
The various display that go on the screen between the charge-O-meter and the speedometer don't provide much technical information. I rented a cheap Chrysler over the weekend and got more data in that than from the e-tron. Individual tire pressure? Nope. Oil or transmission fluid temps? Nope. Battery voltage level? Nope. (Ok, so the Chrysler only had one small battery to keep track of, not two).
The battery "fuel gauge" is at the 4-5 o'clock position in the left dial of the cluster (aka the charge-O-meter) and the gas fuel gauge in the same position in the speedometer dial. I'd been driving for 20 minutes before I realized there were two gauges. Once my left to right reading eyes found the battery gauge, they stopped looking. Only after I noticed it went up while I was driving did I look around and find the gas gauge.
To put the previous comment another way, the charge-O-meter dial isn't particularly useful.
Why can I only get the on-line manual 2 pages at a time? In other words, why can't I download the entire thing to be able to review it when I don't have a connection? You can't beat ctrl-f in a soft copy manual to actually find what you're looking for.
Speaking of the manuals, why do the paper, on-line, and videos manuals have different information? For example, try finding "preferred scheduling" in the printed or on-line manuals. It doesn't exist in either manual but there is a video teaching you how to use it. Sure, production time needed to produce the paper manual means it will always be out of date but they had at least a couple of months after US production started before they could actually deliver any vehicles to bring things up to date. And the on-line manual doesn't include it either.
Oh yeah, when using the on-line manual, your session will time out if you go away too long.

I'll have more to say later. It is supposed to be cold tonight so I need to figure out using the MMI to ensure the car is nice and toasty first thing in the morning. Let's see if it is as easy as the video makes it out to be.

Edit - no joy setting up preferred scheduling. :-( The menu selections shown in the video simply don't exist on my MMI. Maybe I'll be able to use the app once the account is working.

estrong":3htrd35a said:
It would be fascinating to know the thought processes behind some of the decisions that Audi makes:
Why is there a jack considering there is no spare tire? Especially considering that there is no place to store the jack other than clipping it to one side of the trunk space?...

Speaking of the manuals, why do the paper, on-line, and videos manuals have different information? For example, try finding "preferred scheduling" in the printed or on-line manuals. It doesn't exist in either manual but there is a video teaching you how to use it. Sure, production time needed to produce the paper manual means it will always be out of date but they had at least a couple of months after US production started before they could actually deliver any vehicles to bring things up to date. And the on-line manual doesn't include it either...

I'll have more to say later. It is supposed to be cold tonight so I need to figure out using the MMI to ensure the car is nice and toasty first thing in the morning. Let's see if it is as easy as the video makes it out to be.

Edit - no joy setting up preferred scheduling. :-( The menu selections shown in the video simply don't exist on my MMI. Maybe I'll be able to use the app once the account is working.

Welcome! And welcome to the surprising world of no schedule climate controls or no schedule charging! Without the Technology Package (NAV/MMI Plus), you can't do in-car scheduling of climate controls or charging. You will need to use the e-tron connect services: either the mobile app or web portal. I'm in E-TRON CONNECT HELL right now. I am able to login to both mobile app and the web portal but there is no data in both. Apparently, my e-tron information/statistics are not going to their service, and I cannot use the scheduler for climate or preferred charging. Surprise! I'm not alone in this, as apparently Audi USA says there are several people in the same boat (or car) as me that are having this problem. To some e-tron owners, e-tron connect is working flawlessly.

As for the wheel jack. You will need to use it to jack up your car when you are "fixing" your flat tire with the included "fix-a-flat air inflator/patch kit." You can't fix it without jacking up the car to release the weight off the flat tire.

As far as other idiosyncrasies you pointed out, I traded a 2006 A3 Sportback, so I'm use to most of the controls of this new A3 e-tron (those back seats with cup holders are exactly the same as the 2006 model).

@bruintoo - thanks for your thoughts.

You're ahead of me in the "can I connect" game. The Audi Customer Experience Center called back today, the dealer didn't set up Verizon's Telematics to link to my E-tron. So no login or pin yet. All I can do is log on to my.audi.com and read the manual on-line, neither the app or web portal work yet for me. :(

estrong":1kjbqmbq said:

You're ahead of me in the "can I connect" game. The Audi Customer Experience Center called back today, the dealer didn't set up Verizon's Telematics to link to my E-tron. So no login or pin yet. All I can do is log on to my.audi.com and read the manual on-line, neither the app or web portal work yet for me. :(

Can you download the manual? I'd love to check it out...

pkulak":1xy1dauh said:
estrong":1xy1dauh said:

Can you download the manual? I'd love to check it out...
You can go to my.audi.com and read the manual online. You just need to enter a valid VIN number. I suggest you check inventories of A3 e-tron Sportback online or your local Audi dealers online page. The VIN numbers are listed on the inventories. You can read the manual online and print them out (2 pages at a time). Download is not an option.

estrong":200wtcrt said:

Why read online? Didn't you get the paper manual/books?

@bruintoo

Yes, I did get the paper manuals but ctrl-f or command-f are way better ways of searching for something in the manual. You can do that on-line too using search but a downloadable version can be taken with you if you go somewhere without connectivity. Tables of contents and indexes only get you so far.

estrong":3u4m6eck said:
@bruintoo

Yes, I did get the paper manuals but ctrl-f or command-f are way better ways of searching for something in the manual. You can do that on-line too using search but a downloadable version can be taken with you if you go somewhere without connectivity. Tables of contents and indexes only get you so far.

Are you able to login to e-tron connect service yet (either mobile app or web portal)? If so, is your car data there? My e-tron connect service is still not working (since day 1). Audi USA is clueless. Verizon Telematics (calling themselves as e-tron Service or VW-Carnet Service depending on the phone number called) says all the needed provisioning is there, but the car is probably not transmitting data. So off to service department tomorrow for me. Weeeee!

Back