Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:51 pm
Posts: 11
Hoping someone can shed light on the average mpg stats displayed on the A3 eTron.

The eTron starts out a fresh journey on EV by displaying 300 mpg. This is different from my previous PHEV (Prius) that displayed 999 (basically the highest number it can show). As the car runs out of EV range and ICE kicks in, the stats compute the average based on the range traveled on EV, gasoline mpg and range traveled on gas.

Question is - any particular rationale for why Audi selects the 300 mpg for EV travel? If Toyota uses 999 mpg for pure EV - the averages reported for both cars are going to be quite different (with Audi's being far lower) for the same distance traveled. Shouldn't there be a standard for this?

Also, my Prius maintained a running average for all trips (until reset) not just the current trip. The A3 eTron seems to be displayed and maintaining only the current trip. Is that really the case? Is there a way to getting the overall average of all travel on the car?


Thanks for your input.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 pm
Posts: 6
I believed it was Audi's estimate over the equivelent petrol cost for the same number of miles compared to the electrical charge cost.

But I will wait to be enlightened by someone more knowledgeable on the subject.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:47 pm
Posts: 28
Eh, neither OBC has the ∞ symbol, so I guess you just pick some high number and use that. No real mystery. I think that 300 is a bit less obnoxious than 999.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:03 pm
Posts: 55
For what it is worth, here's my recent battery range experience.

Plugged into a 110v/120v power outlet last night. EV range went from 17 to 26 miles. It was 15Fº/-9ºC this morning and I went 14 miles before ev hit zero and the ICE kicked in. Switching to charge battery for the next 13 miles added 3 miles back to the ev range. Mostly highway mileage with some US residential streets.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:55 pm
Posts: 4
Location: West Coast Canada
I have had my e-tron for just over a week. For the first few charges it would show 39 to 40km estimated ev-range but would only go about 18 to 20km when it was about 5oC before the ICE would start. Last 3 or 4 charges the estimated ev-range on a full charge started to drop to 35km. The last trip on a full charge (estimated ev-range was 37km) drove about 10 km in about 9 oC and the car showed an estimated 13kM ev-range left. North American range is about 17 miles or 26kM. Tomorrow will be a call to the Audi service department.

I know the ev-range will drop if the heaters or A/C is used so I didn’t use any heaters on the last trip (at 9 oC A/C is definitely not needed). I understand that the battery pack has heating and cooling to maintain then when running so the warmer temperature should have provided more range.

Does anyone else have a range challenge?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:39 pm
Posts: 175
Traveled from Los Angeles to Palm Springs and back over the weekend. The on-board computer I averaged 45 MPGe. Traveling from Long Beach to Downtown LA and back (50 miles), I averaged 82 MPGe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:50 am
Posts: 122
Location: Bracknell - UK
Seagull wrote:
I understand that the battery pack has heating and cooling to maintain then when running so the warmer temperature should have provided more range.


The European spec e-tron has HV battery cooling only, hence it cannot run in EV mode when the outside temperature is below -10°C. I would imagine that the North American spec would be the same as the temperature in North America drops to similar lows in Winter as Europe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:38 pm
Posts: 6
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Seagull wrote:
I have had my e-tron for just over a week. For the first few charges it would show 39 to 40km estimated ev-range but would only go about 18 to 20km when it was about 5oC before the ICE would start. Last 3 or 4 charges the estimated ev-range on a full charge started to drop to 35km. The last trip on a full charge (estimated ev-range was 37km) drove about 10 km in about 9 oC and the car showed an estimated 13kM ev-range left. North American range is about 17 miles or 26kM. Tomorrow will be a call to the Audi service department.

I know the ev-range will drop if the heaters or A/C is used so I didn’t use any heaters on the last trip (at 9 oC A/C is definitely not needed). I understand that the battery pack has heating and cooling to maintain then when running so the warmer temperature should have provided more range.

Does anyone else have a range challenge?



I've had my etron almost 1 month now. When fully charged the etron's display reads 34 or 35km. I typically only get 24-26km before it hits 0km and the ICE kicks in and switches to EV Hold mode. That's pretty close to the US EPA range of 16miles (25.7km). I haven't seen a Canadian Mileage rating for the etron, and since I ordered the car from the factory, it didn't have the usual window sticker when I picked it up. I do wish it had more EV range, but I think when the weather warms up the range will improve.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:55 pm
Posts: 4
Location: West Coast Canada
Heard back from the dealer. Don, looks like our numbers are typical. The estimated range is a dynamic number, the OBC uses the driving history to estimate it. Last night, I did find a Canadian rating of 27km for the EV-range. Another 10 km would nice but then I'd would always want another 10km. Sort of like 2 "footitis" with boats. :) Still waiting to find out why the UK cars get 30 EV-miles. Must be programming.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: eTron Range Performance Stats
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 am
Posts: 127
Don wrote:
Seagull wrote:
I have had my e-tron for just over a week. For the first few charges it would show 39 to 40km estimated ev-range but would only go about 18 to 20km when it was about 5oC before the ICE would start. Last 3 or 4 charges the estimated ev-range on a full charge started to drop to 35km. The last trip on a full charge (estimated ev-range was 37km) drove about 10 km in about 9 oC and the car showed an estimated 13kM ev-range left. North American range is about 17 miles or 26kM. Tomorrow will be a call to the Audi service department.

I know the ev-range will drop if the heaters or A/C is used so I didn’t use any heaters on the last trip (at 9 oC A/C is definitely not needed). I understand that the battery pack has heating and cooling to maintain then when running so the warmer temperature should have provided more range.

Does anyone else have a range challenge?



I've had my etron almost 1 month now. When fully charged the etron's display reads 34 or 35km. I typically only get 24-26km before it hits 0km and the ICE kicks in and switches to EV Hold mode. That's pretty close to the US EPA range of 16miles (25.7km). I haven't seen a Canadian Mileage rating for the etron, and since I ordered the car from the factory, it didn't have the usual window sticker when I picked it up. I do wish it had more EV range, but I think when the weather warms up the range will improve.


My e-tron's been with me for about 4 weeks now. I've driven 1,750 kms with temps (degrees C) mostly in the single digit + and -
range. I notice that for every km of driving I'm using about 2 kms of range, getting 20 to 22 kms on a full charge. When fully charged the AER shows from 35 to 39 kms, with the 39 kms max on a very unusually warm winter day. On that warm day I was almost able to drive the full range using EV only.
I think that the claims made by Audi are attainable and can likely be surpassed when the temps rise.
Calculating from my last fill-up and my driven kms at that time, I'm showing 5.8 l/100 kms or 40.55 mpg. My best was 3.54 l/100 kms or 66.44 mpg (28.404 liters for 803 kms).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update (May 12)
after 2 1/2 months of driving my e-tron, I'd like to provide an update on my experiences with the car.
First off - my LIKES. This is a fantastic car to drive. It's silent, smooth and very efficient. I find my driving behaviour much calmer and subdued. With the warmer weather (I'm in Toronto) now here, at full charge it's indicated 37 to 40 km AER. I've been getting about 31-34 km AER, then the ICE kicks in :( - my commute to work is 38 km. I have a CS close to work so I can have a full charge going home.
I've gone to the fossil station 5 times to fill up. Total cost for the 5 fill-ups = $178.59 (CDN) buying 94 Octane. Total kms driven to date ~5,200 km (only 1 bar has been used since my last fill on Apr 26th). Using my last fill and the kms at that time, my avg fuel economy was 2.11 liters/100 km :o . 86% of my drive was emissions free. :D
my dislikes: would've liked to only enable 1 side of the dual-zone climate control as I'm typically the only one in the car. Regen braking seems to be lacklustre as it doesn't seem to effectively recharge the battery (aside from when I'm using Charge Battery mode). Charge Battery mode consumes a lot of fuel. My settings for the B&O (Treble, Bass, Surround Sound, etc) sometimes reset to default after a long charge. Not sure how to prevent this and it's a bit annoying to have to adjust these regularly. :roll:

Question: has anyone had the drive mode change from EV to Battery Hold even when there's plenty of range available? :?:
Then as I go to change it back to EV only, it's shows not available. I either change it to Hybrid and continue driving or pull over, stop & restart the car to get EV only again.


Last edited by hangtime10 on Thu May 12, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Audi A3 E-tron Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group