in place of the license plate

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No... I wanted a generic euro plate. I did NOT want my Fl numbers. I could have done that, but did not want that. You just stick your fingers through the grill (with the hood closed) and find the tabs. The cross bars should be the same for vw golfs and jettas. Thule sells the feet that connect to the generic thule crossbars.

5x112":dnd8454y said:
No... I wanted a generic euro plate. I did NOT want my Fl numbers. I could have done that, but did not want that. You just stick your fingers through the grill (with the hood closed) and find the tabs. The cross bars should be the same for vw golfs and jettas. Thule sells the feet that connect to the generic thule crossbars.

Thanks, I did find the tabs. I'll be ordering up a tag shortly, and guess I'll be picking up the Thule crossbars.

Thanks again for your help!

So, just a final update. The plate came last week and looks great. I'll keep my fingers crossed to avoid any potential tickets.

Thanks for the help/suggestion!

14322489_10209045696853925_516991777090085592_n.jpg

5x112":2s2myakr said:
Only the bulbous, redundant "ETRON" protrusion can be removed. the euro frame is still behind it. Anyone can remove the "delete" plastic by putting small fingers through the grill and finding the 4 tabs and releasing them. I bought a euro plate and holder and it fits perfectly in the space and doesn't protrude.

I bought the etron plate filler (I don't want to use a europlate), I have noticed that the US plate bracket has much thicker clips... Definitely not easy to remove the US bracket. I was able to get the bottom 2 off but the apparent 1 one either side are difficult to pop off unless there are other tricks.

Here is what the back top of the (delete option) protrusion looks like. As you can see, there are 2 tabs on each side, which need to be released by pulling them to the outside. There are 4 tabs on the top, and 4 tabs on the bottom, which also need to release, but once the 2 each side tabs are released, the protrusion pops off. I am fairly confident that the US front license holder has the same tabs, but someone else will have to confirm. It is possible that you may have to release of few of the bottom tabs by pulling them down, or the top tabs by pulling them up. Pushing any of the tabs in twords the center if the protrusion will not release them.

I cannot reach the upper side and top clips from the front. May be part from having the tech package's parking sensors and driving assistance feature?

The dealer forgot to remove the front license plate holder on my car. For those of you who have modified yours, is the license plate holder simply on top of the blank e-tron piece? If so, how did you remove it?

Bartsimpson128":2yl5jm3r said:
The dealer forgot to remove the front license plate holder on my car. For those of you who have modified yours, is the license plate holder simply on top of the blank e-tron piece? If so, how did you remove it?

You can take the front license plate holder off, but you'll be left with holes in the black wart underneath that. If you wanted a blank one (no holes) you have to get the "front license plate delete" option.

If you get a fake Euro tag (like above in this thread) it covers the space that the black wart takes up. In my opinion it looks much better than even the black license delete wart since the Euro license space is built into the grill anyway.

5x112":di0nn0wv said:
You have to get the mounting bracket, and the bracket screws into the black plastic frame that is part of the grill. Then the plate is slipped into the bracket, and there is another piece that comes with the bracket that snaps into the bracket that holds the plate secure. Here is the all you need to know:
https://www.customeuropeanplates.com/mo ... tions.html

Where do you get the mounting bracket for the Euro plate? I have the plate delete option "wart" and assume that after that comes off, I will need a different mounting bracket for the Euro plate, correct?

IMHO,

The plate filler definitely looks immeasurably better than the US plate bracket. It is unfortunate that the grille does not cover over the plate section like the other models. While a euro plate looks cool some times but I feel that the novelty dies after time. I had one on my A4 ~15 years back and I took it off the car after a couple months. I think it also gets unneeded attention from the police in states that require front plates.

plate_zpsmiaul6nk.jpg

coilovers_zpskgwp6bty.jpg

And I still have a B5 without a plate.
Nick%20B5%20Avant_zpsdoqchn2n.jpg

Any tips for getting the US plate holder off? The two Torx T20 are easy. I can feel the lower clips on the sides with my fingers, but can't get them to release. Thanks

PSJ":1e7p6q50 said:
Any tips for getting the US plate holder off? The two Torx T20 are easy. I can feel the lower clips on the sides with my fingers, but can't get them to release. Thanks

That part was easy but the dealership removed the US plate bracket off free since they had to install the homelink anyway. It was part of the car's deal.

They claimed that the grille has to be removed unless there are some trick but I could only release the lower clips while I waited for the homelink to come in. I just didn't want to crack the entire grille from forcing it.

Nhatman":3i840qa6 said:
5x112":3i840qa6 said:
You have to get the mounting bracket, and the bracket screws into the black plastic frame that is part of the grill. Then the plate is slipped into the bracket, and there is another piece that comes with the bracket that snaps into the bracket that holds the plate secure. Here is the all you need to know:
https://www.customeuropeanplates.com/mo ... tions.html

Where do you get the mounting bracket for the Euro plate? I have the plate delete option "wart" and assume that after that comes off, I will need a different mounting bracket for the Euro plate, correct?

They send you the bracket with the tag.

Thought this might help - it is an Etron OEM grill. Looks like there is another part that has the cut out for the adaptive cruise control hole. Note this looks NOTHING like the myriad of marketing materials and Etron photos Audi presented to the north american market that showed NO license frame. It might help when trying to pry off the "delete tag" protrusion/wart.

Ha! Guess I'm not the only one that thinks the US front plate design is horrid!! Unfortunately where I live we need a front plate on, so I really just want to get rid of the "bulge". Has anyone done this? I see the Euro plate being used but haven't seen a US plate sans bulge.

Thanks in advance..New owner here as of yesterday!

well, the bulge is what connects the us frame to the grille. there are no less bulgy options to hold the us plate frame that exist as far as i know. it was an audi afterthought, obviously

5x112":j1324ttn said:
well, the bulge is what connects the us frame to the grille. there are no less bulgy options to hold the us plate frame that exist as far as i know. it was an audi afterthought, obviously

Gotcha..Might be stuck with it then, unless we go Euro plate. Hmmmm

Maybe a Black Cali plate might not attract attention to it as much.

Back