Anyone seen these problems on their e-tron?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asa3

After six months with the e-tron, I've had a pretty bumpy road with it - two week-long stays in the shop for different CEL codes, and now, a couple new problems have developed.

1) "Shudder" at low speeds. When the car is creeping (either in D or R) with no gas applied, it now has a tendency to shudder - the drivetrain sort of vibrates. Seems to be related to the EV side of it, not gas. Has progressively gotten worse over the past month or so, and I've booked another service appointment for them to check it out. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen consistently, so there's a good chance I'll be told they can't reproduce and send me on my way.

2) This is a weird one - I can't turn off the AC, seemingly. The light on the AC button turns on and off as it should, but even when off, I get the notice in MMI that air conditioning is reducing my range. Maybe a bug? Can't tell. Don't notice any difference in HVAC performance, temperature, or odor when the system is on or off, so it's very hard to know whether the AC is actually turning on and off as it should.

And here's an even weirder one (although it's so trivial, I don't actually consider it a problem): one time on a road trip, the blue lights on the two temperature dials both went out. No other lights were affected. Only happened once for about two hours. What makes it so strange to me is that it couldn't be that a single LED was defective or burnt out, because both dials were affected. But why in the world would those two blue lights be on a separate circuit from the rest of the lighting in that area of the console? Bizarre!

Hi Asa3,
the shudder issue I myself have experienced and read others on the board also have once in a while as well. It seems to happen as you describe, when creeping forward on EV mode. What I've found to be the key factor is the battery level being very low when this happens.
See if that is the same for you. I haven't heard anyone find a resolution, it is somewhat disconcerting when it happens, I just brake and start again..

Ian
2017 e-tron Technik

iang":1w3v0dx2 said:
Hi Asa3,
the shudder issue I myself have experienced and read others on the board also have once in a while as well. It seems to happen as you describe, when creeping forward on EV mode. What I've found to be the key factor is the battery level being very low when this happens.
See if that is the same for you. I haven't heard anyone find a resolution, it is somewhat disconcerting when it happens, I just brake and start again..

Ian
2017 e-tron Technik

Yes I think you're right, it's only when the battery level is low. I will do some further testing on it this week...

I’ve also experienced the shuddering at low speeds and a very low or depleted charge. 2018 etron with 1800 miles on it. It’s pretty unnerving, and definitely not something I’d consider acceptable or normal. I can pretty reliably repro when the battery is depleted though, so I may have the dealer take a look when they’re installing the homelink that was missing from the car.

Same problem here. My etron will shudder while running in electric at low speeds (~ 10 mph and slower) when the battery is about half drained and below. I first noticed it when backing up and now when in rush hour traffic. Anyone brought theirs into the dealer for a diagnosis?

Yep, dealer essentially said, “this is normal. If enough people complain they might do something about it.” :cry:

Hi there, just got my a3 etron last week and so far been fairly happy with it except the shuddering issue as described and I wasn't even on low battery, I had about 50% of battery left in EV mode. Wondering if anyone has eventually gotten the issue fixed or this is still an unsolved issue?

boogiehead":zini6k3t said:
Hi there, just got my a3 etron last week and so far been fairly happy with it except the shuddering issue as described and I wasn't even on low battery, I had about 50% of battery left in EV mode. Wondering if anyone has eventually gotten the issue fixed or this is still an unsolved issue?

Probably not, it seems to be the case that everyone will have to wait until Audi says something about it or find an actual long-standing solution. It is surprising to hear that your shudder problem starts even when you have about 50% of battery left, I wonder if it could be something more? Have you taken it in to get checked by any chance?

BrockFry":10fn0tiw said:
boogiehead":10fn0tiw said:

Probably not, it seems to be the case that everyone will have to wait until Audi says something about it or find an actual long-standing solution. It is surprising to hear that your shudder problem starts even when you have about 50% of battery left, I wonder if it could be something more? Have you taken it in to get checked by any chance?

It happens during low speeds like someone mentioned <10mph. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow so hoping to get some answers and as it doesn't occur all the time I'm hoping I can replicate the problem when I am there.

I don't recall where I read it but I read that this is not uncommon with dual clutch transmissions. For those of us who have experience driving a manual transmission, it's similar to the shuddering when a manual clutch is not engaged properly and a dual clutch is essentially an automated manual. It also stated that it is the reason why the car rolls backwards on a hill. This is my first car with a dual clutch transmission so I have no other reference point but it made sense to me.

a3etron4me":xic5yhs0 said:
I don't recall where I read it but I read that this is not uncommon with dual clutch transmissions. For those of us who have experience driving a manual transmission, it's similar to the shuddering when a manual clutch is not engaged properly and a dual clutch is essentially an automated manual. It also stated that it is the reason why the car rolls backwards on a hill. This is my first car with a dual clutch transmission so I have no other reference point but it made sense to me.

Exactly... that's what it feels like as if you were shifting gears in manual car with that little hitch to it before it changes gears

a3etron4me":11uiq12o said:

Good theory, my theory is it is due to the electric motor and gas engine trying to decide who gets to pull... this design flaw is my only real complaint but I am just getting used to it. I expect in the next couple of years it will be figured out by going all electric or just better at hybrid. I love driving mine in the power bands!

a3etron4me":12egeyfb said:

Yep, I had a Jetta Sportwagen TDI before this car and the dual clutch transmission would do this at low speed. Apparently, it's normal behavior for that type of transmission.

Hi everyone! I just got my A3 eTron last month, have the same shudder problem like everyone here. I started to notice shuddering issue almost immediately but this being my first Audi so I thought maybe this is how an Audi behaves....

Here are some shuddering issues I have experienced so far:
1. When backing out from my garage, the car shudder violently as it was to stalled.
2. Battery empty on gas.

I took the car back to the dealership this morning, dragged the machanic on a test drive. Fortunately I was able to replicate the shudder issue and he said Audi has issued a bulletin on this issue and it’s instruction is to replace transmission fluid. My work order stated exactly that, I hope this will fix the problem. I will report back once I get to test it out when the car is ready for pick up tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed.

** Update 11/29/2018 (day 2) **
Car is still at the dealership for further diagnostic :|
Changed out transmission fluid and said the car still shudder. They have reached out to Audi technical team and was asked to send in sample of transmission fluid. Sounds like my car is in ICU :mrgreen:

** Update 12/1 (day 4) **
Picked up the car on Sat, it drove fine and the shuddering was gone for a a good first 2 hours.
Gonna take it back tomoorrow morning, the quest for a fix continues.
Audi replaced the transmission fluid, and adjusted the computer control but the fix was short lived.

** Update 12/22 (day ??) **
Problem is finally fixed! Mechatronic replaced! The part was shipped from Germany and it took 10 days to arrive, 2 more days for installation and test drive.

That is fascinating about the dealer bulletin for etron tranny oil change.

Same shuddering problem on our month old A3 etron with 1500 miles. Ours however did not start having the issue until the last 100 miles we have been driving the car. Definitely seems to be more prominent when running in battery hold mode. Shudder happens at speeds < 10 mph, when in reverse, and when braking.

Took it in to the dealer yesterday. They just called and said there is a technical bulletin that calls for a computer re-adaption to solve the transmission issue. Same exact reason a3etron4me wrote - the dual clutch isn't shifting smoothly between gears. Update should solve the issue.

Glad this issue is happening at the beginning of the warranty period! :)

CrazyRedhead":1tdek5ll said:
That is fascinating about the dealer bulletin for etron tranny oil change.

Same shuddering problem on our month old A3 etron with 1500 miles. Ours however did not start having the issue until the last 100 miles we have been driving the car. Definitely seems to be more prominent when running in battery hold mode. Shudder happens at speeds < 10 mph, when in reverse, and when braking.

Took it in to the dealer yesterday. They just called and said there is a technical bulletin that calls for a computer re-adaption to solve the transmission issue. Same exact reason a3etron4me wrote - the dual clutch isn't shifting smoothly between gears. Update should solve the issue.

Glad this issue is happening at the beginning of the warranty period! :)

Sounds like they are acknowledging the shudder issue now, hopefully they can fix the issue for good!

I have the same “shuddering” issue with my etron at low speeds. They reproduced the issue, and are trying to fix it at the dealer right now. Did they actually fix the issue for any of you with the same problem? If they try to tell me it’s “normal operation”, I’ll probably start taking steps to break the lease. I’m gonna give them a shot to fix it first though, and hope for the best.

etronjohn":1xqpq5es said:
I have the same “shuddering” issue with my etron at low speeds. They reproduced the issue, and are trying to fix it at the dealer right now. Did they actually fix the issue for any of you with the same problem? If they try to tell me it’s “normal operation”, I’ll probably start taking steps to break the lease. I’m gonna give them a shot to fix it first though, and hope for the best.
I’m quoting my own post here. I took my vehicle in for service, and they performed the update outlined in the Audi TSB. Basically, they replaced the transmission fluid, and then reset the mechatronic unit by shifting the car from N to D, and N to P 75 times. After that, they drove the vehicle for 35 miles. This seemed to fix the issue for about 7 days, but now it has come back, and there is a new symptom... Yesterday, my car shuddered and then stalled while I was pulling into an intersection! I had to restart the vehicle in the intersection to get it moving! This almost caused a bad accident! So, I’m naturally more concerned about this issue now because the car actually stalled. I’ve notified Audi about the issues. I hope they are able to fix it because I really don’t want to stall out in an intersection again!

rfortson":2flxdlcu said:
a3etron4me":2flxdlcu said:

Yep, I had a Jetta Sportwagen TDI before this car and the dual clutch transmission would do this at low speed. Apparently, it's normal behavior for that type of transmission.
I have a couple of friends with DCT transmissions in their BMW M3s, and they never experienced these issues. Sounds like an Audi design flaw. The problem is just an annoyance until your car stalls due to the shuddering!

My vehicle is back in the shop again with the same shuddering issue. They’re going to try to replace the mechatronic this time. Hopefully this will fix the issue. The only thing that I’m curious about is whether or not there have been any changes or bug fixes that’ll be included in the new mechatronic. If not, I don’t quite see how replacing the mechatronic would fix it permanently.

Back