Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant liquid for battery and EV empty/leaks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:21 pm 

Hello all E tron user

Im the owner of a 2015 e-tron , 54000km on it. Overall I was happy with it until past week :
--> red alarm requiring engine stop, with low level coolant liquid.

It the small coolant reservoir, and yes it's almost empty...
I had to send the car to Audi, and they told me they cannot just "refill" it, they need to perform an entire check as its not normal to have the empty reservoir ( probable leak and dangerous as its used to cool down the battery or electric engine module..)

Of course my car is not longer under warranty...Still not have the final diagnostic.
Did this happened to any of you?..

Thanks
reservoir : https://ibb.co/gBDjNn

Post subject: Re: Coolant liquid for battery and EV empty/leaks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:11 am 

Hi XAVFR
I have a '16 model with over 52,000 km. The issue you've experienced hasn't happened to me.
Definitely will be keeping an eye out though. I have my next service appointment within 1,000 km (probably 3 to 4 weeks) and I'll have them check.
I thought the warranty was 3 yr/60,000 km or 4 yr/80,000 depending on location?
It's 4 yr/80 here in Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:54 am 

Thanks for your feed back
I got the garage on the phone, and they told me there was a leak on some coolant hose, "might be caused by some rats or rodent...:s"
The bill will be around 500euros for this "small" joke.

Adding this to a creaking,noisy front suspension on each speed bump... really not happy with the quality on such a "young" car
Warranty in FR in 2yr...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:18 am 

I'm sorry to hear that. There has been cases where rodents "snuggle" inside the engine bay of cars and chew at parts/wiring.
The creaking noise is odd. I'm sure the suspension parts should last much longer than 54,000 km. I don't know what the conditions of the roads are in France (really hoping I'll be able to visit there one day) but here in the Toronto area, it can be pretty ugly. Potholes everywhere, especially now in the latter part of winter.
I hope you get the issues resolved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 pm 

I just had this issue with a 1yr old etron. Car is in the shop. Interested in the outcome you had and if it has happened again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:09 pm 

I have a 2016 A3 e-tron with 18650mi (30,000km) and this actually happened to me as well. I was on my way from Los Angeles to Oregon, had driven about 652miles (1049km) and the red light popped up. I was in the middle of nowhere around midnight so I really had no help I could run to. What's worst was that I was completely by myself. So what I did was I pulled into the nearest rest area off the highway and pour filtered drinking water into the little reservoir. This occurred last October, which was 7 months ago. I know this might not be the correct way to deal with this but I did what I had to do to get myself back on the road. I figure if it continues to leak, then I would take it to a dealership the next business day. The light never came back on again since then. What I think had happened was maybe because I had driven the car for a prolong period of time that maybe it over boiled the system. Not sure if that was the case but 7 months later the car is still fine.