Why the upside down charger plug head?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aegez

For the life of me I can't figure out why they opted to orient the grounded power plug so that the cable will inevitably suffer unnecessary fatigue from being bent downward constantly.

I'm imagining most people (who don't use a wall mount) place this thing on the ground, with the cable annoyingly going upward, bending, then down to your charger.

Am I missing something??

Maybe it’s your receptacle that is upside down, not Audi’s plug. ;) Check out my installation in the photo below. Holder for the charger is from Boals Designs. The holder also has a nice plug in to hold and protect the end of the cable.

33oqloz.jpg

@Robbiejoe I see you are using a 220 outlet. I just had one installed in the garage and the option to charge at 50% power or 100% came up on the stock charging unit. I would choose 100% power but I am wondering if this fast charging would affect battery life. What are you using?
Thanks,
Craig

Robbiejoe":1tcj0beo said:
Maybe it’s your receptacle that is upside down, not Audi’s plug. ;) Check out my installation in the photo below. Holder for the charger is from Boals Designs. The holder also has a nice plug in to hold and protect the end of the cable.

33oqloz.jpg

Sorry for the late response. Where did the summer go?! Anyway, I use 100% for faster charging, which is important to me so I can recharge between drives during the day. I haven’t researched about battery life. But I do hear the cooling system working while charging, so I imagine the car is working to ameliorate any bad effects. My main focus is using less gas and kicking out less carbon. If I don’t need a quick charge maybe I should choose 50%. It’s worth researching.

Back