Check engine light on @ 650 miles

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR22046

So light came on and has stayed on for 2 days now. Car otherwise behaving normally and charges fine. The only issue I had was the auxiliary climate control has been inconsistently working when manually switching it on from the app (using timer seemed ok). Also, a week or two ago there was a "charge fault" message on the app screen, yet nothing was indicated on the car gauges until the recent CE light. I drive almost always in electric mode (original tank at 7/8).

I also have a Porsche Cayenne e-hybrid. One time I hooked it up to a public charger which seemed to be out of order. The Cayenne did not like that and threw a check engine light immediately. However it did go out on it's own after a couple days. Not sure if this is a similar situation. Coincidentally, I had also just used a (working) public charger prior to getting this check engine light.

Will take to the dealer soon to check out and will update here. Hopefully it is something simple and easily diagnosed.

Update: car was taken to dealer a week ago. It was diagnosed with a "defect in charging system" and needs some parts replaced. One part is not expected until March 1. Even though it seemed to run/work fine to me, they did not want me in the car and gave me a loaner (Audi TT) to use while I wait. Bummed it is taking so long, but hope they are able to resolve without a return visit.

Today I received my e-tron back, after just over one month in the shop for the check engine light. The cause was a fault in the "high voltage battery charger" which was replaced. This part was not available initially, hence the long down-time. In the end, they had to get the part shipped straight to the dealer from the supplier in Germany via air-freight. Have not driven the car more than 10 minutes since picking up, but my fingers are crossed that there is not a re-occurrence.

So far, so good. Driven it quite a bit, and it is behaving normally. Didn't realize how much i missed driving it. Compared to TT loaner and the A3 2.0 I switched into mid-way, the e-tron is much more enjoyable to drive with the instant torque. Not a fan of the 2.0t with DSG (which always seems to be in the wrong gear).

Just had my CEL come on at 520 miles. Service appointment tomorrow morning, hoping it's something simple. Definitely didn't leave the gas cap loose on my first (and only) fill-up, but I did have some trouble getting the nozzle out afterward, so I'm wondering if that's somehow related.

Turns out I'm having the exact same issue. Parts ordered by dealer, the wait begins. I wonder if this is a design defect and/or a problem using certain types of charging stations?

I used almost exclusively the charger that came with the car, so I don't think it has anything to do with the charging station. I haven't had any trouble since then however. Hopefully your wait for the part is not as long as mine. They ended up having to ship it directly from the manufacturer via airfreight from Germany.

Picking up the car today. It was actually supposed to be ready last Thursday, but the service manager insinuated that there'd been some kind of argument with Audi corporate about the issue that delayed things. All I can tell from the paperwork is that the battery charger needed to be replaced.

asa3":pu48qjct said:
Picking up the car today. It was actually supposed to be ready last Thursday, but the service manager insinuated that there'd been some kind of argument with Audi corporate about the issue that delayed things. All I can tell from the paperwork is that the battery charger needed to be replaced.

Happy to hear you got your car back.
Would love to see what they had on the work order.
Please let us know how things go with the car over the next few weeks.

Just had the CEL come on again, this time around 3500 miles. My dealer is booked up for a month and refuses to see me any sooner, so I won't know for a while if it's the same issue as before. (I was told that because the CEL is yellow and not flashing, it's not an emergency service situation and the car can continue to be driven.)

Having bought the car outright, I'm growing concerned about the reliability. Looks like I'll either be shelling out for an extended warranty or getting rid of the car before the factory warranty expires.

asa3":3odghiom said:
Just had the CEL come on again, this time around 3500 miles. My dealer is booked up for a month and refuses to see me any sooner, so I won't know for a while if it's the same issue as before. (I was told that because the CEL is yellow and not flashing, it's not an emergency service situation and the car can continue to be driven.)

Having bought the car outright, I'm growing concerned about the reliability. Looks like I'll either be shelling out for an extended warranty or getting rid of the car before the factory warranty expires.

Hey, any update on your car? My CEL came on this week for the very first time at 4200km (~2610 miles). I've checked multiple times that my fuel cap is fully locked. CEL came on after charging maybe 30 mins at a public charger station. I bought the car outright too and worried it's having issues this early.

Feb 2018 - checking to see if this was still happening to people? I just had my 2017 throw a CEL right as it passed 3000 miles... will hopefully be taking it in this week to see what's up with it.

ShadyJC":37d1csw1 said:
Feb 2018 - checking to see if this was still happening to people? I just had my 2017 throw a CEL right as it passed 3000 miles... will hopefully be taking it in this week to see what's up with it.

I’m the post right before yours. So yeah I took my car in back in October/November. They fixed it up - said it was a charging module issue and they replaced the part. No issues since then!

ShadyJC":1ux72qe8 said:
Follow up to this, sounds like it was a similar problem to all others reported here. The dealer had my car for 2 days - from my repair order:

"Ran GFF found fault B200000 performed GFF test plans, test plans determined J1050 charging control module is faulty causing check engine light to come on... removed and replaced the J1050 charging control module"

Looks like the main part they replaced was part # 5QE-915-682-AG

Following up to my above post, oddly, it seems that after this work was done my computer now believes I have 28 miles on electric after a full charge. Until now I had never seen more than 24.

nmdP02btzXv9PTj23

All, my engine light came on at about 2K miles on a 2018. Dealer says its the battery control module which sounds like the same issue you all are having. Has anyone had to replace it twice? Just wondering if this is a chronic issue with the e tron or once I get it replaced won't have to worry about it happening again. The module went out after I charged at a public station at my work.

FYI same thing happened to my brand new (3 wks) 2018 A3 etron. Check engine light was on for a few times when I started the car, but for the first few times, it went away when i restarted the engine. BTW, I live in a condo community so had to use ChargePoint stations rather than my own charger unit.

Well, that is until it didn't go away, at approx 550 miles in. Took it back to dealer, and yup, it is the high voltage charger in control unit that "went out". I just got my car back after a week - hope this is the end of this/ will update. Just to let others know this still happens....to 2018 models (hopefully not common....).

My 2018 did this at 2200 miles. Thank you guys for the info! Guess i'm dragging this thing into the dealer

My check engine light came on 2 days ago (2017 w/ 32K), first time since I've had it. I'm scheduled for a 40K service and Service Action for the High Voltage battery in 2 weeks (it was the first appointment I could get with a loaner), so I guess I'll wait and see what happens then.

Back