2017 face lifted A3 etron DRL always on

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonglukjp

I have a 2017 e-tron with Xenon headlight with DRL (2017 DRL is at the lower bumper where fog lights used to be)

it always annoys me that the DRL turns off when you turn low beam on
with some VCDS tinkering, I was able to keep the DRL on with and without low beam being turned on

see pics (will take night pictures for better lighting if your guys want) - I have noticed DRL on full brightness at night is too bright will need to turn down the intensity by some trial and error later

no mod with DRL
OKheOUB.jpg

no mod DRL with parking light
d7hIUaA.jpg

low beam on - passenger side -> no mod, Driver side -> DRL mod
(notice normal condition DRL is off with low beam)

UDwSLLb.jpg

low beam on both sides mod'ed
08xzh3Y.jpg

Very cool! I have the OBDeleven but haven't started playing with it yet on my 2016. I have my first service this week (there's a software recall as well) and didn't want them to say anything/overwrite any changes I might make.

Have you been able to get the passenger mirror to dip on reverse?

I now have an OBDeleven as well, but the cheap android tablet my son got me for Christmas to go with it has no Bluetooth. So no changes for me yet.

We may want to start a thread where we post confirmed tweaks using these tools, and the details of how to access them.

rfortson":2usgw0u0 said:
Very cool! I have the OBDeleven but haven't started playing with it yet on my 2016. I have my first service this week (there's a software recall as well) and didn't want them to say anything/overwrite any changes I might make.

Have you been able to get the passenger mirror to dip on reverse?

not sure about 2016, a least for 2017 A3 mirror dip does not work for my canadian version...still works for some 2017 VW Golf

Audi or VW changed around some of the modules in 2017 some of the VCDS codes simply does not correspond to any long code in 2017...(ie: lock module and MMI module has been nerf'ed unless you optioned NAV/GPS)

Was anyone able to figure out how to get the upper LEDs to come on as daytime running lights? With my 2017, only the bottom LEDs come on. (with the light selector in the "off" position)

The upper LEDs only seem to come on when the low beams are on. The lights would look pretty great on at the same time.

Similar to what was mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314&view=previous

Seems like it could potentially be changed via VCDS/OBDeleven?

Things that I would potentially want to code:

1) With the "off" position. Both the bottom and top LEDs on and nothing else.
2) On the low beam position, the DRL stays on. (Like OP did above)

wonglukjp":3w38vh7n said:
I have a 2017 e-tron with Xenon headlight with DRL (2017 DRL is at the lower bumper where fog lights used to be)

it always annoys me that the DRL turns off when you turn low beam on
with some VCDS tinkering, I was able to keep the DRL on with and without low beam being turned on

Care to share the VCDS coding for keeping the DRL's on?

I would love to see the coding also!! I have the same setup and would love to change it.

Coding should not be too difficult to come by. But bear in mind that doing this mod may be illegal in some jurisdictions, and will certainly annoy drivers of oncoming traffic at night. There is a reason that the DRLs are configured the way Audi did.

Unlike the low beam headlights which are designed to throw light (mostly) down on the road, the DRLs throw light everywhere by design. That is so in the daytime oncoming drivers will see and take notice.

But after dark, the DRLs will be somewhat like high beam headlights, glaring right into the oncoming traffic. It may not be as blinding as the high beams are, but it will certainly annoy the other drivers at minimum, and may well impact their vision. I could even imagine being pulled over by traffic enforcement for this.

I don’t recommend this mod.

arne":3ccegtcg said:
Coding should not be too difficult to come by. But bear in mind that doing this mod may be illegal in some jurisdictions, and will certainly annoy drivers of oncoming traffic at night. There is a reason that the DRLs are configured the way Audi did.

Unlike the low beam headlights which are designed to throw light (mostly) down on the road, the DRLs throw light everywhere by design. That is so in the daytime oncoming drivers will see and take notice.

But after dark, the DRLs will be somewhat like high beam headlights, glaring right into the oncoming traffic. It may not be as blinding as the high beams are, but it will certainly annoy the other drivers at minimum, and may well impact their vision. I could even imagine being pulled over by traffic enforcement for this.

I don’t recommend this mod.
-Coding on the new vehicles is a lot more difficult to dissect. I appreciate the input

rtro":2m8i0o1n said:
-Coding on the new vehicles is a lot more difficult to dissect. I appreciate the input

Definitely more obscure on this model with a lot of the settings in German. I have a 2015 S4, and don't recall anything in German for it.

sorry its been awhile since I logged in

I got a few PMs about coding for DRL, I only tested it on HID headlight equipped A3 with Etron DRL (not sure about LED matrix headlight)

I am not sure what VCD other people are using but here is what I did (assuming you have some experience with VCDs already)

you need find your DRL adaptation module under (09)
Right DRL module is RB32

1) change the following - basically it re-programs the LED DRL light module with a secondary function
- primary function AB is DRL - dont change
- secondary function CD as parking light so that it stays on when you turn on the headlight
- leave EF GH function untouched
- change the following

RB32-Lichtfunktion C 5 to "standard light"
RB32-Lichtfunktion D 5 to "parking light"

2) set LED DRL intensity to max when it is being used as parking light under CD (the value can be 0-127 but the DRL LED only has on or off state or either 0 is off or 127 is on)

RB32-Dimmwert CD 5 to "127"

3) repeat for Left DRL by programming module LB4 using similar value.

you can use the same idea for parking lights but in reverse if you want to turn off parking light when headlights are on with module VRB21 and VLB10

awesome! I will give this a shot. I do not have LED so it should be the same. Ill let you know..... Did you need a security code? If so, what was used?

so going through the coding we were able to make changes based on the information, but nothing changed. under LB4 there is no 5's.. any help? is it possible to snap shot yours? thank you

wonglukjp":3vu81jel said:

Thanks for the instructions. They are a little vague, but I was able to find where to change the settings. However, there are no exact options for "standard light" or "parking light." Most of the options are in German too! Can you check and let us know what the exact options are from the drop down menu? Thanks!

BigBluu":33rrqynj said:
wonglukjp":33rrqynj said:

Thanks for the instructions. They are a little vague, but I was able to find where to change the settings. However, there are no exact options for "standard light" or "parking light." Most of the options are in German too! Can you check and let us know what the exact options are from the drop down menu? Thanks!

I was not trying to be vague but every VCDs tool is different, there is no single instruction tnat works for all tools.
seriously if you dont know how to code, you should find someone who know. You can screw up your lights and make sure you backup all the steps you have done so you can go back to stock config.

FYI I dont speak german - depending on your the VCDs tool you are using, here are some of the translation.
standard light - "Standlicht allgemein" or "Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)" or "Standlicht vorn"
parking light - "Parklicht rechts" or "Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)

rtro":2kkooexn said:
so going through the coding we were able to make changes based on the information, but nothing changed. under LB4 there is no 5's.. any help? is it possible to snap shot yours? thank you

trying to help other Etron owners, I dont want to hijack this thread to become coding help

the number "5" has to do with the position of the light in the car - RB32 has a value of "5". LB4 has a value of "4" by default you cannot change it
ie: Leuchte4TFL LB4 - basically means "light4 is LB4"; Leuchte5 TFL RB32 = "light5 is RB32"

once again if you don't know how to code - be very cautious coz you can screwed up your light function.

this is my snapshot for adding parking function to DRL LED strip for LB4

Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion C 4>Standlicht
Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion D 4>Parklicht
Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert CD 4>127
Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimming Direction CD 4>maximize

backup first!!!

Wong...thanks for the replies. My apologies...I guess we need clarification on which system/software you are specifically using. In your OP you mentioned VCDS, which I assumed to be the most favored by Audi enthusiasts...the Ross-Tech VCDS. However, this may not be the case as that's what I use and had trouble following your instructions initially. I will give it another shot this weekend with the additional details you provided.

Regarding VCDS modding, IMHO you do not need to be a coder to use it. I am far from being one myself (finance). You just need to be diligent in following the instructions, document your changes in case you need to reverse them, or as Wong mentioned...backup before making changes. This is my 3rd Audi and I've used the Ross-Tech VCDS on all of them. The e-tron is different as it has some settings (actually a lot) in German, which I do not recall my prior 2 vehicles having ('10 Q5, '15 S4). And the e-tron community is so small it's difficult to find information sometimes. I'm mainly on Audizine, but came here as e-tron owners are pretty non-existent over there. They don't even have a dedicated forum section for the e-tron!

under Ross tech (I have the non-english version) - sorry English is not my first language

choose the following-
choose channel - 09 (Bordnetz)
then - Funktion 16 from under STG Zugriffsberechtigung
enter security code 31347 - go back and choose Funktion 10 STG Anpassung

then change the values that I posted above...

this is my change log for LB4

original:
Leuchte4TFL LB4:
Lasttyp 4:
1 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung
Lampendefektbitposition 4:
Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 4:
Lichtfunktion A 4:
Tagfahrlicht
Lichtfunktion B 4:
nicht aktiv
Dimmwert AB 4:
Lichtansteuerung HD AB 4:
always
Lichtfunktion C 4:
nicht aktiv
Lichtfunktion D 4:
nicht aktiv
Dimmwert CD 4:
Dimming Direction CD 4:
maximize
Lichtfunktion E 4:
nicht aktiv
Lichtfunktion F 4:
nicht aktiv
Dimmwert EF 4:
Dimming Direction EF 4:
maximize
Lichtfunktion G 4:
nicht aktiv
Lichtfunktion H 4:
nicht aktiv
Dimmwert GH 4:
Dimming Direction GH 4:
maximize

after change:
Leuchte4TFL LB4
Values:
Lichtfunktion D 4:
Old value: nicht aktiv
New value: Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)
Dimmwert CD 4:
Old value: 0
New value: 127
Lichtfunktion C 4:
Old value: nicht aktiv
New value: Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht, Positionslicht, Begrenzungslicht)

Back