Long trips - fuel efficiency

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkitz

Seen a few posts about peoples overall fuel efficency. Haven't seen anything particularly noting for one specific long trip.

So say you are at full charge, you start in hybrid mode and drive for 3-5 hours with a couple stops. What kind of fuel efficiency are you getting?

I'm looking to replace my volkswagon TDI, and I do enough long trips that this could impact my decision. I know the short in-town trips are where I'll see the obvious win with the e-tron, not sure where exactly the long trips sit.

I drive pretty conservatively, on trips from Ottawa to Toronto I'd often get 4.1-4.3 L/100km

Clarification re: regeneration
It seems there is some regen when you just take your foot off the accelerator - say your going down a hill - is this only in 'hold' mode. Or is it in hybrid other modes too?
Or am I confused about this and its only when braking?

I took a trip from San Diego to Paso Robles, through LA traffic. I was at around 40 mpg. With no traffic, I cruised at about 75mph. Its about a 325 mile dive so not bad. The whole trip was in hybrid mode.

khs604":cdmj89yc said:
I took a trip from San Diego to Paso Robles, through LA traffic. I was at around 40 mpg. With no traffic, I cruised at about 75mph. Its about a 325 mile dive so not bad. The whole trip was in hybrid mode.

Thanks that is helpful.

On an 800 mile round trip in the hilly interior of BC, starting with 0 EV miles available, all in hybrid comfort mode, and no plug in charging, my 2017 got 37 miles per US gallon.

I get around 50miles/UK gallon on the long trips. The mode does not appear to make any significant difference.

Regen happens with braking, the harder you brake the more mechanical braking is applied though so it's best to plan ahead and brake lightly. The E-tron free-wheels unless you are in sport mode when regen braking is applied as soon as you come off the gas.

jkitz":2tafwbv8 said:
Seen a few posts about peoples overall fuel efficency. Haven't seen anything particularly noting for one specific long trip.

So say you are at full charge, you start in hybrid mode and drive for 3-5 hours with a couple stops. What kind of fuel efficiency are you getting?

I'm looking to replace my volkswagon TDI, and I do enough long trips that this could impact my decision. I know the short in-town trips are where I'll see the obvious win with the e-tron, not sure where exactly the long trips sit.

I drive pretty conservatively, on trips from Ottawa to Toronto I'd often get 4.1-4.3 L/100km

It seems there is some regen when you just take your foot off the accelerator - say your going down a hill - is this only in 'hold' mode. Or is it in hybrid other modes too?

The TDI's were great. I still want one for my long distance travels. Just waiting to see what the affects are after the "fix".
As for the e-tron economy, there's a post here titled "Post Fuelly badges here" which you can read various owners experiences with their car.

I have posted my own drive from Whitby to Ottawa and back. I didn't get your 4.1-4.3 L/100km, but I was very happy with the overall economy. Could've been better if the charging station infrastructure in Ottawa was better.

jkitz":1h3v6gwf said:

I recently went on a 2500 mile trip with little access to charging - so I basically used it as a hybrid only.
On the worst tank fill-up I got 36 mi/gal (high speed on interstate) on the best I got 42 mi/gal (mixed driving)

re: regen: taking the foot off the brake an braking both get you regeneration.
The difference between hold and hybrid mode is how fast it will be reused.
Hybrid uses it immediately for better fuel efficiency (you still might see some increased battery charge, on long downhill stretches)
Hold uses some but tries to keep some in the battery (you see a larger increase in battery charge)
The trade-off is the regular fuel consumption.

hangtime10":ekytjkvm said:
The TDI's were great. I still want one for my long distance travels. Just waiting to see what the affects are after the "fix".
As for the e-tron economy, there's a post here titled "Post Fuelly badges here" which you can read various owners experiences with their car.

I have posted my own drive from Whitby to Ottawa and back. I didn't get your 4.1-4.3 L/100km, but I was very happy with the overall economy. Could've been better if the charging station infrastructure in Ottawa was better.

Thanks for the pointer towards the Fuelly thread, helpful stuff. I've spent some time poking around there site as well.

Hey!

I too had a VW TDI Sportwagon, 2014 MY. I replaced it with an A3 e-tron 2017 MY. I've had my e-tron since this past May. I have over 16,000 kms on it.

A lot of my drives are over 200 kms/day. I just keep it in battery-hold since the other two modes deplete the battery fairly quickly. I haven't gone far enough to test how long the battery would last in hybrid-mode or how well it recharges itself, but will find out this coming April when my wife and I take our annual long road trip to South Carolina for some cycling.

I only charge it at home and have little to no access to public chargers. I crunched the numbers after I got a notice that my electricity bill will increase by $50 per month soon after I got my car. That's the cost of a tank of gas, so not sure if I'm saving anything. Most nights I still have 25 kms of charge in the car, so I'm not plugging it into the grid for long.

According the the on-board computer, my battery-hold driving burns 6.2L/100kms of premium unleaded. It also shows that over the last 1,000 kms the gas/electric usage is 66%/34%. For me this is just fine! I got this car because it's a hatch and the performance is superior to my VW TDI Sportwagon. I can put it in sport-mode and have lots of fun and still remain fuel efficient. I won't get 4.5L/100kms, but I'm good with that. Accelerating in my A3 e-tron is a hoot!

Good luck!

I had a Sportwagen TDI with DSG. I got around 37mpg on the highway. For my e-tron, I get around 35mpg on the highway. City driving is where I make out like a bandit with the e-tron.

Back