Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Any Houston or Texas drivers?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:34 pm 

Octavius wrote:
Yes, but all the 2016/2017 Audi E-tron lease quotes I've gotten in North Texas were terrible. This car really doesn't make a whole lot of sense in Texas, because the 16 mile EV range isn't really going to cut it, and the charging network isn't great. Also the Audi A4 Ultra gets 37 miles Highway and 31 combined (vs E-Tron's 34 cmb). And it costs only 34k. Most people are just going to get that.

It's a niche product for sure, but the 16 miles works for me. I can drive back/forth to work each day on electricity and I get free weekends electricity and $0.12/kWh during the week. I pay about a dollar a week to charge. Rolling that cost into an equivalent cost for gasoline at $2.50 a gallon, I'm still getting an equivalent of 53-55mpg. Once gas starts going up again (and it will...it always does) it will only get better.

But yeah, if you're driving 50-75 miles/day it might not make quite as much sense. Even then, the first 16 miles per day at a very cheap rate will start to make a difference.

Edit - Dang, I really shouldn't post when distracted.

I pay about $4/week to charge my car. Let's round up to $5/week, which is the same as 2 gallons of gas at $2.50/gallon. I get 7x16 = 112 miles per week on electricity with is equivalent to 56 mpg. I drive mainly on electricity so my gas mileage of 35 mpg doesn't drop my overall mileage that much.

Gas prices are more volatile than electricity so this should only get better over time. Also, there's a new program with free nights for electricity. That would work much better than free weekends, but I need to see the non-free costs first. Bottom line, it works for me. YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:09 pm 

Fort Worth. I've had my 2016 etron for about six weeks. Got Green Mountain Energy to give me the special EV flat rate of $0.108/kWh (includes the delivery charge), all renewables. I have exactly a 16 mile round trip to work each day and plug in at night on 110V. Most days I can do it all on EV, and I usually drive enough on weekends running errands to burn through a full charge and maybe a little dino juice. So I figure that's (8 kWh X .108) X 7 = $6/week in trons to go 112 miles. Premium gas is up close to $3/gal here so that's 56 mpg cost equivalent in EV, all sourced to wind and sun so I'm doing my part to save the planet. I haven't had to gas up yet but haven't done any longer trips. Very fun car to drive, although you have to be disciplined about staying "eyes out" - lots of distractions on the dash and interesting things to monkey with.

My one complaint with Audi is that the sales people in the DFW area have no idea what the etron is. Tree hugger hybrid in Texas when gas is cheap = low customer interest, and the dealers are pushing A5's. I used that to my negotiating advantage, but I hope that they educate themselves a little more; it's a great little car.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm 

OK, rfortson, you had heavy rain in Houston today. Hope you were on high ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 am 

OwDeEtron wrote:
OK, rfortson, you had heavy rain in Houston today. Hope you were on high ground.

Yep, our street was a river for about an hour. Luckily I was already home. Also luckily, the water recedes in about an hour or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:56 pm 

I'm here in Austin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:04 am 

glucklich21 wrote:
I'm here in Austin.

Excellent! Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:08 pm 

Just ordered a 2018 Etron here in San Antonio. Placed the order about 3 weeks ago and haven't got a confirmation just yet. I read somewhere that the batteries are being upgraded. I hope that's the case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:55 am 

@cbalter Do you have a link to the article/source?