Auto Express review of the A3 E-tron Sportback

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangtime10

A newly released review by Auto Express of the E-tron is not sitting well.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a3/100942/e-tron

My thoughts of the review:
"but with battery-only range limited to 29 miles many owners will find themselves relying mostly on the 1.4 TFSI petrol engine as there’s no on-board charging mode to top up the cells when you’re driving"
- I wish the cars here in N.A. was able to get the full 29 miles!! I would be ICE free 95% of the time.
- 29 miles is sufficient for most normal dd's and could be ICE free if the owner has the ability to charge at work.
- I've never been one to rely "mostly on the 1.4 TFSI petrol engine" except for my drive to Ottawa from Toronto

"The dual-clutch auto gearbox is generally smooth, but when the battery is low on juice it can get a bit clunky when transitioning between electric or petrol drive. "
- I've been very impressed by the smoothness of the transition from EV to ICE and vice versa. The majority of the time I only know the ICE kicked in only by the ICE symbol.

They believe the ride quality is "under par".
- I've never really had any issues with how the car drives or goes over bumps. Maybe the roads are seriously bad in the UK compared to Toronto. (?)

Boot (trunk) space is "significantly reduced".
- This is true, but the 60/40 fold down seats make it easy to accommodate quite a bit of things.
- Consumers are smart enough to buy a car that'll suit their needs

Car magazine companies should have reviewers who understand the expectations and needs of EV owners. Far too often I read reviews by ICE minded people and they're reporting issues that don't usually apply to EV buyers.
I believe EV buyers will do more research, investing more time before deciding which EV works best for their needs.

What do you think?

I wish I could place my comments on the Autoexpress site, but for some reason I can access it using my credentials (even
though it's correct).

gonkulator":2uq3by4c said:
They think you can't charge the battery from the ICE? How careless can a review be?
The charge-while-driving mode was removed from the 2017 models on.

Agreed that the Charge mode is gone but the car will still charge during your drive while in Hybrid Auto or Hybrid Hold modes.
And when the transmission is in sport mode, it recharges even better through regen braking.

Back