Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2017 face lifted A3 etron DRL always on
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 pm 

I have a 2017 e-tron with Xenon headlight with DRL (2017 DRL is at the lower bumper where fog lights used to be)

it always annoys me that the DRL turns off when you turn low beam on
with some VCDS tinkering, I was able to keep the DRL on with and without low beam being turned on

see pics (will take night pictures for better lighting if your guys want) - I have noticed DRL on full brightness at night is too bright will need to turn down the intensity by some trial and error later

no mod with DRL

no mod DRL with parking light

low beam on - passenger side -> no mod, Driver side -> DRL mod
(notice normal condition DRL is off with low beam)

low beam on both sides mod'ed

Post subject: Re: 2017 face lifted A3 etron DRL always on
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:00 am 

Very cool! I have the OBDeleven but haven't started playing with it yet on my 2016. I have my first service this week (there's a software recall as well) and didn't want them to say anything/overwrite any changes I might make.

Have you been able to get the passenger mirror to dip on reverse?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:07 pm 

I now have an OBDeleven as well, but the cheap android tablet my son got me for Christmas to go with it has no Bluetooth. So no changes for me yet.

We may want to start a thread where we post confirmed tweaks using these tools, and the details of how to access them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:56 am 

rfortson wrote:
Very cool! I have the OBDeleven but haven't started playing with it yet on my 2016. I have my first service this week (there's a software recall as well) and didn't want them to say anything/overwrite any changes I might make.

Have you been able to get the passenger mirror to dip on reverse?

not sure about 2016, a least for 2017 A3 mirror dip does not work for my canadian version...still works for some 2017 VW Golf

Audi or VW changed around some of the modules in 2017 some of the VCDS codes simply does not correspond to any long code in 2017...(ie: lock module and MMI module has been nerf'ed unless you optioned NAV/GPS)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:24 am 

Was anyone able to figure out how to get the upper LEDs to come on as daytime running lights? With my 2017, only the bottom LEDs come on. (with the light selector in the "off" position)

The upper LEDs only seem to come on when the low beams are on. The lights would look pretty great on at the same time.

Similar to what was mentioned in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=314&view=previous

Seems like it could potentially be changed via VCDS/OBDeleven?

Things that I would potentially want to code:

1) With the "off" position. Both the bottom and top LEDs on and nothing else.
2) On the low beam position, the DRL stays on. (Like OP did above)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm 

wonglukjp wrote:
I have a 2017 e-tron with Xenon headlight with DRL (2017 DRL is at the lower bumper where fog lights used to be)

it always annoys me that the DRL turns off when you turn low beam on
with some VCDS tinkering, I was able to keep the DRL on with and without low beam being turned on

Care to share the VCDS coding for keeping the DRL's on?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 am 

I would love to see the coding also!! I have the same setup and would love to change it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:26 am 

Coding should not be too difficult to come by. But bear in mind that doing this mod may be illegal in some jurisdictions, and will certainly annoy drivers of oncoming traffic at night. There is a reason that the DRLs are configured the way Audi did.

Unlike the low beam headlights which are designed to throw light (mostly) down on the road, the DRLs throw light everywhere by design. That is so in the daytime oncoming drivers will see and take notice.

But after dark, the DRLs will be somewhat like high beam headlights, glaring right into the oncoming traffic. It may not be as blinding as the high beams are, but it will certainly annoy the other drivers at minimum, and may well impact their vision. I could even imagine being pulled over by traffic enforcement for this.

I don’t recommend this mod.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 am 

arne wrote:
Coding should not be too difficult to come by. But bear in mind that doing this mod may be illegal in some jurisdictions, and will certainly annoy drivers of oncoming traffic at night. There is a reason that the DRLs are configured the way Audi did.

Unlike the low beam headlights which are designed to throw light (mostly) down on the road, the DRLs throw light everywhere by design. That is so in the daytime oncoming drivers will see and take notice.

But after dark, the DRLs will be somewhat like high beam headlights, glaring right into the oncoming traffic. It may not be as blinding as the high beams are, but it will certainly annoy the other drivers at minimum, and may well impact their vision. I could even imagine being pulled over by traffic enforcement for this.

I don’t recommend this mod.

-Coding on the new vehicles is a lot more difficult to dissect. I appreciate the input

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:27 am 

BUMP