Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Switching to smaller wheels for ride comfort
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:21 am 

What do you think?

My priority is ride comfort, and with 18 inch wheels on UK roads at the recommended 41 PSI it is a bit bone rattling at times, even though they are not run flats.

I'm considering backing down to 16 inch with Conti eco sport tyres but wonder if I am going to have warranty issues (it's a newly bought used car with 1 year dealer warranty) or if anyone here has experience here of doing something like this?

Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Switching to smaller wheels for ride comfort
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:36 am 

My car has the 17" wheel package, inflation is 37 psi. I don't think the ride is bad, but the 18" might be too much for rough roads. I also have 16" winter tires, the ride may be a touch better, but it is not a huge difference over the 17". Again, the difference in dropping from 18" to 16" may be more significant.

I can't imagine what warranty issues would ensue given that 16" wheels with 205/55-16 tires is not just approved by Audi, but is the standard fitment.

Would be ideal if you could find someone who drives a Mk5 or newer Golf or A3 who has 16" that you might be able to bolt on the car as a test.

Post subject: Re: Switching to smaller wheels for ride comfort
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:41 am 

arne wrote:
My car has the 17" wheel package, inflation is 37 psi. I don't think the ride is bad, but the 18" might be too much for rough roads. I also have 16" winter tires, the ride may be a touch better, but it is not a huge difference over the 17". Again, the difference in dropping from 18" to 16" may be more significant.

I can't imagine what warranty issues would ensue given that 16" wheels with 205/55-16 tires is not just approved by Audi, but is the standard fitment.

Would be ideal if you could find someone who drives a Mk5 or newer Golf or A3 who has 16" that you might be able to bolt on the car as a test.

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've just been spoiled for ride comfort, previously I had an A6 all road on air suspension and 16's - the thing was like a magic carpet. I'll try to get over it and maybe just nudge the pressures down a bit.