Charging error E480

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnar

Today I tried to charge my etron at work for the first time. The charging seemed to start OK, both according to indication on the charge pump and the connect app.
However, when later checking the connect app, I get the status "No power supply". The charge pump reports E480.

Any ideas?
And where would I find an overview of possible error messages?

Best Regards,

--Gunnar

Any reference in the owners manual? I would check mine, but well... In the US... :(

By the sound of it, power was lost to the EVSE.

Thanks for the answer.
The spesific error code is not listed in the manual, but the graphics on the EVSE display indicates problem with the power supply.
I'm going early to work tomorrow to be able to grab another free charge outlet. We'll see.
I assume that EVSE means the box on the cable?

BTW, I got the car last week and I love it. Hope you guys over there will be able to check it out soon.

--gunnar

Yep, EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment).

Technically the charger is in the car. The EVSE just supplies the electrons and does some diagnostics/safety functions.

The same thing happens today. :(
Seems to start ok, but stops with error after a few minutes. Charging at home works just fine and none of the others parked beside me seem to have any problem.

Different outlet.
After contacting the Audi dealer, I learned that the error code means that there is a problem with the supplying earthing system.
I believe that the equipment supplied by Audi must be more sensitive to this than the other suppliers, sinse I seem to be the only one with this problem. I'm going to try an alternative EVSE next week.

Or the ground for the outlet is not properly hooked up. The outlets may be tied to the same ground which is not adequately hooked up. It would be interesting to look at the potential between ground and line/neutral (or however it is labeled in Europe). If it happens with another EVSE, it is the building wiring.

I have the same problem and get the same error message in the display in my Evse. Like you, my e-Tron charged fine some times and sometimes not. I have tried using a different Evse without luck. Tried it in different houses in the neighbourhood, and discovered that there were only my house and my two nearest neighbours that godt the E480 error message. Contacted Audi Sandefjord Norway. They could not tell me what the message ment. I contacted my power supplier, Fjordkraft, who plugged in a power quality monitor in my garage. To my suprise the Medcal N power quality monitor removed the error om my Evse and the e-Tron has been charging without problem since. They found no problem with the power in my house, so i ended up buying a rather expencive power monitor witch i plugged in next to the Evse plug. Seems to me the Evse is quite sensitive to noise in the power net.

I see that there is an alternative Evse in the Audi charging brochure. Have not tried that one.

Fortunately for me, when I can get an A3 e-tron, I will not need the Audi supplied EVSE. I have a permanently installed Level 2 (probably a US only term) at home and my office. :D

I bought an alternative EVSE, "Mennekes 13A Mode2". I'm charging at work right now and it seems to work just fine.
It seems like the norwegian power net is more challenging than what the EVSE supplied by Audi is prepared for.
I was told that Tesla owners had a similar problem in Norway and that Tesla had to modify their EVSE.
I believe Audi needs to do the same.

I learned from a norwegian forum that Audi is aware of the problem and was already in end of May planning a firmware update in their EVSE.

Hello

I am having the same issue E480 but I am a Cayenne owner (same charger).
Can you retrieve the details to update the device firmware in your norvegian forum?
My charger is dated Jan 2015 and probably manufactured 7 Nov 2014 version 7.12.

Best regards,

bip":25tno6ki said:
Hello

I am having the same issue E480 but I am a Cayenne owner (same charger).
Can you retrieve the details to update the device firmware in your norvegian forum?
My charger is dated Jan 2015 and probably manufactured 7 Nov 2014 version 7.12.

Best regards,

Nearly a two year old post. Not sure the OP will see it. Did you send him/her a message?

]i'm also having the same issue. At home, i'm using a wall box daily, without any problem : the charging system of the car (Audi A3 E-tron) is working fine.
Last year, in a rented house, I used the 220 v charger supplied with the car, and it worked fine. Today, in another rented house, I cannot succeed to charge the car, using the same charger : the E480 Failure message is displayed on the charger screen shortly after plugging it to the house socket. I deduct the problem has to do with the house power system, not the charger, as hinted in other forum messages.
Satanas, France

Isn't there any program on computer or something like old to check codes/remove codes?

Kind regards

Back