Maximum charge issues?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italo

I have just recently taken delivery of my e-tron and to mind appears to be a really fabulous car.

I am puzzling however about one thing. When fully charged and no electrics on whatsoever the car shows a range of between 22 and 25 miles, which is different to what is stated in the brochure and the website. Initially Audi told me it depended on how it is driven, road conditions and what electronics you use, such as wipers, radio A/C.

However, I think they have missed the point. I charge the car and before I even step into it, switch anything on- it shows a range of 22 miles. It's currently parked, has been charging and now says fully charged with a range of 22 miles.

Can anyone explain this?

Hi @italo, congratulations on your new e-tron. I have put this issue down to battery conditioning. By conditioning, I mean the gradual learning of the battery and associated electronics of your driving style. Since receiving my e-tron in mid January, the range shown after charge has gradually increased to approx 27 miles, albeit I have driven less than 1000 miles so far. That is my interpretation and others on this forum may have a better one.

Unfortunately I cannot speak for the A3 e-tron as Audi USA still have not made any announcements regarding pricing or availability in the States.

But in the Volt (Ampera) the expected range varies with the ambient conditions, if it has been raining quite a bit recently, etc. It is just an estimate. I am currently sitting on 36 miles range when fully charged. But that was down to 25 during the middle of winter even with living in the south. Granted, I keep it in Sport mode and use the throttle. Some other Volt owners see as high as 50 mile expected range. It is all in how you drive and what the conditions are.

italo":chwd8k8w said:
I have just recently taken delivery of my e-tron and to mind appears to be a really fabulous car.

I am puzzling however about one thing. When fully charged and no electrics on whatsoever the car shows a range of between 22 and 25 miles, which is different to what is stated in the brochure and the website. Initially Audi told me it depended on how it is driven, road conditions and what electronics you use, such as wipers, radio A/C.

However, I think they have missed the point. I charge the car and before I even step into it, switch anything on- it shows a range of 22 miles. It's currently parked, has been charging and now says fully charged with a range of 22 miles.

Can anyone explain this?
Hi Italo, i was told by the Audi dealer that the predictive range given on the screen is based on the last 20 km driven. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I get 22 miles range on the screen sometimes, and recently it showed 32 miles range when i had been in hybrid hold mode prior to the charge. IMO what matters most is the miles that you actually get out of a full charge. This depends on driving style, speed and conditions. The outside temperature has a big influence. Especially when it is cold. With an internal combustion engine the cabin is heated by the waste heat of the engine. As electric motors are far more efficient there is no waste heat and the auxiliary heating will us electricity from the battery to heat the cabin.
Let us know how you get on.

Thank you all for your inputs. I have just completed a longish journey from Camberley in Surrey to Milton Keynes and used EV mode for non motorway driving and then on the motorway put it into cruise and also decided to drive with a light right boot because I had passengers and didn't want to cause discomfort. I averaged over 65mpg for that journey and my overall mpg since taking delivery last Saturday is at over 80. I charged the car this evening and I see that it is showing 26miles fully charged, which is the highest it's been since Saturday.
This would support comments regarding conditioning and previous 20miles memory etc etc.

As most of the time my journeys are very local, I can see my average consumption improving quite dramatically.

So far loving it!

Back