California drivers: DMV rejected solo carpool stickers app

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent my application for the green sticker the day after I got the e-tron. I was unaware the dealer had also applied for sticker when they did the registration (Audi of Beverly Hills). My application was rejected by the DMV, but the dealership's application was accepted. I picked my plates and stickers at the dealership.

smiles33":q5jzq620 said:
I still do not have my stickers. To recap:

- purchased right before Halloween (10/27/16 or so)
- received license plates right before Thanksgiving and immediately mailed in my application (11/22/16 or so)
- first rejection received 12/13/16, called CARB to confirm it's still on the approved card list and immediately put the appeal back in the mail on 12/14/16
- second rejection received 1/11/17, called DMV and per the agent's advice, printed out the CARB website, highlighted the Audi A3 e-tron, and mailed it back the next day
- still no word and it's now 2/8/17

It takes 3-4 weeks to get rejections, per my past 2 rejections. Since we're almost at 4 weeks, I am really hoping my stickers are coming. I've been checking my on-line bank account and the check (dated from November!) still hasn't been cashed.

jumper: I have solar PV panels on the roof so we're already on a special PG&E rate plan. I haven't compared the rates head-to-head, but it maximizes the return on the "peak" hour solar generation. Thus, I never charge my car during peak hours.

I mailed my application 12/25 and got my rejection yesterday, 2/8 (stamped 1/31). So, they may be a bit backed up from the holidays. I may wait a week before resubmitting and see if anything shakes loose with yours in the meantime. Thanks! Can't believe it is this hard! :)

Papo":17xyhn7p said:
I sent my application for the green sticker the day after I got the e-tron. I was unaware the dealer had also applied for sticker when they did the registration (Audi of Beverly Hills). My application was rejected by the DMV, but the dealership's application was accepted. I picked my plates and stickers at the dealership.

Nice, Audi of San Diego said 'they didn't do that' when I specifically asked if they could get the stickers for me (knowing already that it was technically possibly).

Papo":22awva9k said:

I thought it was a requirement that you had to have your CA license plates before you could even request the stickers! Was your application rejected because you didn't have the plates yet or did they check off "Not on the approved CARB list" instead?

"I thought it was a requirement that you had to have your CA license plates before you could even request the stickers! Was your application rejected because you didn't have the plates yet or did they check off "Not on the approved CARB list" instead?"[/quote]

Smile33. I called they DMV before sending my application. They said I did not need my plates and should write "not yet issued" in the field asking for the number and provide the temp registration. That said, the dealer was able to get the plate and stickers simultaneously.

smiles33":7phqxc3k said:
Papo":7phqxc3k said:

I thought it was a requirement that you had to have your CA license plates before you could even request the stickers! Was your application rejected because you didn't have the plates yet or did they check off "Not on the approved CARB list" instead?

OK I know I saw somewhere there was a seperate process for dealerships to get the stickers for unsold cars. I can't find it now, but I don't think I imagined it.

I did wait for plates, was just calling my dealership lazy, perhaps wrongly since I can't find the procedure now. Definitely in the not on the approved CARB list.

Note: maybe procedure was removed, as there is still left over text at the very beginning of the FAQ on DMV page "Frequently Asked Questions
Note: The following does not apply to CAV decals purchased in advance by new vehicle dealers."

Just checking in to report still no stickers (or 3rd rejection letter) yet...Fingers crossed the stickers are en route. I keep checking my bank to see if the check has been cashed. Does anyone know whether they would send the stickers before the check was cashed?

thanks for checking in. my 2nd attempt still sitting on my desk waiting to see how yours goes. I was thinking, not only to include the website but also include a photo of back of car with the E-Tron logo + my license plate? Just thinking maybe they thought the car wasn't on there, not because 2017 Etron isn't on the list, but for some reason don't consider my car a 2017 Etron.. who knows what's in their database. and maybe a photo would push them over the edge? Though, I got the clean air rebate with no issues.

I don't think a photo of the license plate or back of the car would help. They likely go by the VIN. I double-checked to make sure I hadn't mistyped the VIN and I even went back out to the car to make sure it was correct on my pink slip (since that's what I relied on the first time).

When I called the DMV's Special Processing Unit directly, the man who answered said to just print out the website and highlight the Audi Etron. It may be that the staff are moving so quickly that they don't check the CARB list and don't automatically recognize the Audi as an eligible car (compared to the Tesla or Nissan Leaf).

You might want to just send your application in, especially if it's taking a month to process anyway!

smiles33":2dud11nd said:
Just checking in to report still no stickers (or 3rd rejection letter) yet...Fingers crossed the stickers are en route. I keep checking my bank to see if the check has been cashed. Does anyone know whether they would send the stickers before the check was cashed?
No. Checks cashed first.
-Ben

No stickers yet, but my bank shows a pending check for $22!!!!! I am so excited that they may have FINALLY approved my application!

Just updating to say the stickers STILL aren't here. Check was cashed last Wed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the stickers will show up in Tuesday's mail since tomorrow is a federal holiday. Sacramento isn't that far. If they had mailed it on Wed (the same day my check showed as pending payment), I thought it would have arrived by Saturday. Sigh....

FINALLY! Last night, my decals showed up so they're now on my car. Just thought I'd update. Good luck to all the other CA owners--I hope your applications don't suffer the same repeated rejections.

I ordered the black CA Legacy plates for my car so I waited for them to arrive (the wait was killing me!) before applying for my green sticker in late January. Last week I saw that the DMV cashed my $22 check so I hope to receive my stickers this week.

I did not print out anything from the CARB website and simply put in Audi A3 E-tron as the make/model. Hope this process goes as smoothly for the rest of you guys.

Congrats! It is *so* nice to drive past all the stopped traffic now that I can use the carpool lane as a solo driver!

And my stickers arrived yesterday! Took less than a month since I resubmitted the application. I included a printout from the CARB website and put a short narrative on the second page of the dmv form. Thanks smiles33 for the suggestion. Maybe the DMV employees have now seen enough of these to realize the cars are eligible.

Now to put the stickers on!

to dig this up for a second, based on my readings of the changes to the sticker rules(rolling 4 years, full and plugin treated equal) those of us that had issues getting stickers at the end of 2016 might have lucked out. right now the wording is if you got a sticker in 2017/2018 you can apply for a renewal at the end of year to get a red one which will be good till 2022.

Back