Best SIM for data package in the UK/Europe

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

The A3 e-tron has an option to insert a SIM card to run the Audi Connect on-line services. You can also create a wifi bubble in the car apparently. I plan to use my actual phone for calls (via the Bluetooth) and was wondering if anyone has any tips as to what the best SIM card is in terms of cost per mb. I would be interested in the UK, but I think this forum has some European wide attention as well.

I have been using a standard 3 UK PAYG SIM card which they sent it to me in the post for free. Standard 3 rates 3-2-1 plus top up bonuses. Works fine with Connect.

Thanks jerry3561. What is your average monthly data usage? How much do you spend per month?

Hi,

I have tried both a Lebara and an O2 pay as you go sim and both work fine although the Lebara was recognised as Vodafone or something like that and I had to hand edit the APN etc. The only thing I could not get to work on either was Audi Connect messaging. Which according to page 20 of the MMI manual and the salesman who flogged me the car last year should work.

If anyone knows what Audi is looking for when deciding whether the sim is "messaging enabled" can they let me know..

Roger

jerry3561":1qy4f364 said:
I have been using a standard 3 UK PAYG SIM card which they sent it to me in the post for free. Standard 3 rates 3-2-1 plus top up bonuses. Works fine with Connect.

Jerry3561, thanks for the tip. I just slotted my newly acquired '3' UK PAYG SIM card into the slot in the glove-box. The SIM has been recognised but now I have following problem. To complete registration on-line on the '3' website I need a password that has been sent as a text message to the car. Would you know where in the MMI system I could find this message? Thanks!

Leon":1ee48ge0 said:
jerry3561":1ee48ge0 said:

Jerry3561, thanks for the tip. I just slotted my newly acquired '3' UK PAYG SIM card into the slot in the glove-box. The SIM has been recognised but now I have following problem. To complete registration on-line on the '3' website I need a password that has been sent as a text message to the car. Would you know where in the MMI system I could find this message? Thanks!

Found the solution myself. I used a SIM-lock free phone to register the SIM on the network and open an account on the Three website. Good to go.

Yesterday I picked up a 12 month pre-paid '3' sim, data only with a 12Gb limit for 72 pounds, popped it in the slot in the glovebox and it worked immediately - no setup required at all :D

Three are still by far the cheapest but there's a reason for that, their network coverage is abysmal.

If you can get 200Mb for free then by all means try it out, coverage might be ok where you live. As long as you don't use the terrible social media stuff (why would you?) then 200mb is plenty for traffic updates.

Back