Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: E-Tron Battery/Hybrid Fault
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:15 am 

when you have such problems, it's best to find a passionate local ev shop who can diagnose the car properly.

Dealerships do not have the experience nor the patience required :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:42 am 

On Friday night I went to charge my car (a 2017 a3 e-tron I bought a month ago), ready for a long drive on Saturday to visit my Dad for the 1st time for a year or so.

I can't remember if I had left the door open when I plugged in the charger, but my car pinged at me and gave me the

'Drive System fault! Safely stop vehicle.'

message, followed by

'Max. engine speed: 3000 rpm'

And the charger light on the car went red (the charging unit still said charging).

When I tried to start the car after unplugging the charger it would not go into ready mode. So effectively dead car.

Got my daughter to drive me down in her little suzuki, then Yesterday morning, I gave Audi Roadside Assistance a call, assuming after what I read here, It was likely to end up with my car being towed to a dealer.

An hour later Audi Roadside Assistance turned up. Plugged his computer in, and was puzzled that my car was not showing any fault code.

did some searching, and then said that it was a common fault with the ECU and that there was a patch to fix it.

He connected a battery pack to make sure it didn't run out of power half way through and spent 15 mins downloading and installing the patch.

After which he said, 'looks fixed, the hybrid battery is now charging you're 12v battery which it wasn't before'

And I now have a working car, so far everything seems fine, so will just have to see.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:23 pm 

rfortson wrote:
rfortson wrote:
rfortson wrote:
Well, this just hit me. 2016 with 40k miles. Went out to the garage to start up and saw this fault. At least I wasn't driving when it shut down. Not looking forward to having it towed to the dealer downtown. I was considering selling it before any electrical problems developed but guess I waited too long.

Okay, so here's my update. Car towed to Audi Central Houston on June 14. Authorized the replacement of the 12v battery for $900(!) a couple of days later. That didn't work, so authorized the replacement of the battery control module for another $1200. That didn't work either, so they had to wait a week for the hybrid batteries to safe themselves (discharge, I guess). Plus, they were bringing in an "expert" from outside the dealer to help them troubleshoot the problem. So the car sat for 2.5 week with nothing being done. Last Friday, July 9, the "expert" arrives. Turns out it's just some regional manager that told them they needed to bring in an "expert" to help them figure out the problem.

Needless to say, I'm livid. I called AudiUSA to file a complaint and at least that got the dealer talking to me. They still don't know what to do, but are looking at replacing the hybrid battery or replacing individual cells. My fear is that they will tell me parts need to come from Germany and have a 5-6 week lead time.

Can't wait to get this car running again so I can sell it and be done with Audi and this dealer (the closest one to me - 40 miles away). The car was great up until it wasn't. My greatest concern was a problem with the hybrid electronics since Audi sold so few of these cars they wouldn't know how to fix it. Turns out I was right to be concerned.

So, latest update. Audi has had my car since June 14. Late July, they decided to replace the hybrid battery. Current estimate is the battery will be delivered to the shop September 4. Let's hope that fixes it so I can dump this POS.

Okay, final update. Audi finally got the hybrid batteries replaced the first week of October. No charge as it was covered under warranty. The 12v battery and battery controller ($900 and $1200 previously authorized) didn't fix the problem so I think they were replaced with the originals. The car seemed to run fine from the dealer to home. And that afternoon, it ran fine to CarMax and another local dealer. Got four quotes and wound up selling it to Carvana. Picked it up on a Monday and it was gone by Friday with a nice check from Carvana.

This car was great up until it wasn't. AFAIK, the battery replacement had the car running great again, though of course I have no idea of the longer term reliability. The dealer experience was always a drag. They were nice enough but having to drive downtown (30 minutes one way) for service got old. And since it's somewhat a unicorn, you can't find local shops that really know anything about these cars. Your friendly local EV mechanic doesn't exist in this world.

I replaced it with a Miata. Completely different car/experience so I won't even try to compare them. However, this experience has put me off electrified cars for now until they become more common and I'm not tied to a dealer for service.

Thanks for the forum. Lots of great info here which is very handy for a unique auto that you don't see very often.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:26 pm 

4est wrote:
when you have such problems, it's best to find a passionate local ev shop who can diagnose the car properly.

Dealerships do not have the experience nor the patience required :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: