6 months in, a few questions...

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyandy

Hey all,

I bought a 2016 Etron Sportback with 30000 miles on it around about 6 months ago. We are loving it. Over the last few months I've noticed some things I'd love your thoughts on -

First, we are not charging the electric battery. The car was fuel efficient enough for us on gas and we don't have the ability to install a battery charger at our place. Does not charging the electric battery over the long term hurt the battery or the car?

Second, is there any way to know why sometimes when I start the car the gas engine starts up and then other times it's just the electric battery that starts with no gas engine (even when the battery is empty). Could it be something to do with the outside temperature? It seems like in warmer weather the car starts more often with just the battery?

Third, also in colder weather, I've noticed that during the first few mins of driving the car doesn't want to go into second gear, re it will stay in first up to about 2.5k or 3k revs and then goes in to second. After just a few mins of driving this stops and it moves up the gears seamlessly.

Last, and this is more of a persistent thing, the braking seems a bit uneven. For example, I'll slow down, I'll be close to stopping and then the car will almost jolt forward a bit as it goes down another gear by itself, the gear shifts on the way down seem uneven and I wondered if this was down to the gas/electric relationship?

Those are all my questions. Are these things I should get checked out or are they common to the car? As I said, overall, absolutely loving the car.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

If you have the included portable charger, I would plug into household outlet and charge battery overnight. You don't want to have Lithium Ion batteries fully discharged for a long period of time. Also, the engine uses the electric motor to start the gas engine. There is no traditional starter. The full charging of you battery may solve some of your other concerns.

If you don't have the charger, there are tons of apps that show you where free chargers are. I picked up a spare charger on Amazon to leave at work so I didn't have to lug the Audi charger around, and it works fantastic

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077N ... UTF8&psc=1

I get to work around 7:15 and it is fully charged by lunch, and this is not a fast charger.

If you don't have access to a charger; if you put it in Sport mode on longer drives it will build the battery up a bit. I've found that I can take it from 0 miles range to 10 miles range, but it doesn't appear to go above that even if I leave it in Sport mode.

It may be efficient enough without the battery; but getting an average of 60 mpg per tank definitely beats getting 35.

Regarding the fuel efficiancy, is they predicitve "range guage" on point with you?

When I fill up, Ill have 380 or so miles, but in reality, its more like 175, which sucks.

hcashew":22l1npg6 said:
Regarding the fuel efficiancy, is they predicitve "range guage" on point with you?

When I fill up, Ill have 380 or so miles, but in reality, its more like 175, which sucks.

Something seems off there- I get pretty much exactly the stated petrol range.

ScreamingPict":18jrefsy said:
hcashew":18jrefsy said:

Something seems off there- I get pretty much exactly the stated petrol range.

Yeah, that car needs service if it's only getting 175 miles full range. I get 350 miles just on gas. Maybe he's driving around in charge mode all the time?

Back