Audi A3 E-tron Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas engine kicks in unexpected on full charge (?!)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:52 am 

Where we live, everything we need is within ~10-15km, so we almost never need/use the gas engine on our day-to-day driving. Car charges up fully overnight.

Then, like the subject line says, every now and then - maybe once every 4-8 weeks, totally out of the blue, and usually within 1km of leaving the house (fully charged), the gas engine will kick in.

Anyone else see this?

We're in a 2016 e-tron with the "Technik" trim level.

Post subject: Re: Gas engine kicks in unexpected on full charge (?!)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:34 pm 

Not sure the specifics of your situation, but if you floor the accelerator you'll notice there's a bit of a little extra pressure for the last bit. When you hit that the car will go to boost mode, both battery and gas engine will be engaged for maximum acceleration.
if you're not accelerating hard and the gas kicks in that's a bit unusual -you have the car in EV only mode? (the default it starts on when there is charge).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 am 

Mine does this occasionally - plenty of charge in the battery but the ICE start itself. If I notice straight away I can't switch back to EV, the option is not available, after a minute or so the option becomes available again and I can switch back to EV though.

My guess is that it is some sort of ICE maintenance mode if it hasn't run in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:41 am 

When the ICE first kicks in you'll see a little white EV symbol with a stroke over it near the top of the dash. That stays on until the engine is warm, and as you noted you cant force it to go back to EV mode. That took me a little while to figure out, but it's by design.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:29 am 

It does specify in the manual that for unspecified reasons, sometimes the ICE will have to run. As someone else said, I assume it's to do various things to keep the engine ready and clear from damage.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:11 am 

lozzd wrote:
It does specify in the manual that for unspecified reasons, sometimes the ICE will have to run. As someone else said, I assume it's to do various things to keep the engine ready and clear from damage.

Yeah, Chevy Volts will do this. I suspect that if the car runs for so long without the ICE running, it will force the ICE to run to prevent future problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm 

Curious to know if your issue has arisen as your etron has aged. I have the same problem, the car unexpectedly changes from EV to hold battery mode, usually when going up even a slight hill or when accelerating from say 70 to 75 mph, and often when it is cooler (but not necessarily cold) outside. This essentially never happened during the first 45k on the odometer, but now at 4 years and 50k miles, it is happening all the time. Time for a trip to the dealer. Anyone else have this experience?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:34 am 

My 2016 with only about 26,000 miles has started this very thing. When going up a mountain road at about 35 miles per hour with 7 or 8 miles of charge left the ICE kicks in with the inability to put it back on E mode for a minute or so. Has just started doing this. Anybody have any info?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:05 pm 

Trip #1 to the dealer on this problem: diagnostics revealed a jammed coolant valve which had to be replaced under warranty. Supposedly malfunction of the valve caused the car to revert to "limp" mode. Unfortunately this fix this did nothing to correct the problem and I'm heading back to the dealer for another go... will post an update later.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 am 

Trip #2 to the dealer revealed "nothing wrong" with battery or car

Puzzling that from 2016 to 2020 the car NEVER ONCE spontaneously flipped from EV to ICE (unless flooring it, forcing sport mode), regardless of hot/cold weather, regardless of flat or incline driving.
At 50k miles starting 2020 and driving exactly the same routes it flips from EV to ICE repeatedly. Painful... not really an EV anymore.