Actual range in real life

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

Has anyone driven the A3 in electric only mode in real life to see what the range is?
I am looking at the Golf GTE plug-in hybrid and the Audi A3 and want to know if the theoretical 50km range will work for me.

I have 2 places I regularly go that is 55km total distance.

If careful driving is there a chance to make it on only electric power?

Thanks

Marta,

I have carried out a few tests in petrol only, electric only and hybrid modes.
In electric only, I have obtained a maximum mileage of about 21 miles albeit using the climate control to maintain 21 degrees inside.

I took a longer journey last Saturday in order to obtain some realistic economy figures for dual carriageway/motorway driving using both petrol only and combined hybrid power.

I travelled from Bracknell to near Chelmsford and back, a distance of 80 miles each way. The car was fully charged before I left. On the way out I used petrol only and sticking with the maximum speed limits in force 60/70 mph etc. I managed 49 mpg according to the DIS. On the way back, I enabled hybrid auto mode and managed 74 mpg which I thought was quite a good result overall.

Thanks Jerry, that's reassuring!

21 miles with the heater on. What was the terrain and speed during the trip like?

Thank you for this info.

Two questions: 21 miles on battery : Is this obtained with preconditioning the car before starting?

2 x 80 miles : The 49 and 74 mpg are very good, given the 60/70 mph speed.

The 21 miles range on EV was obtained without pre-heating and was covered on mostly local roads with speeds up to 50 mph but averaging maybe 25 mph.

The longer trips probably averaged out around 45-50 mph as it included some roadworks on the motorways and a few miles of local roads. Overall though I am happy with the performance.

Marta
I have had my etron for a week so still testing the various options, weather is just about freezing and after a charge on a domestic socket the car shows 23mile range on electric, but as the car is using electric for the heating, the kids on with the heated seats it soon drops, just returned from my commute of 135 miles and an average 50.5 mpg, trying to get as much as I can out of the battery before I park, it is improving each day, but much better in the evening than the morning with battery life.

Performance is good, comfort on 2 hour commute also good. Impressive so far.

Already did 630 miles since delivery in 4 days!

Had to go on a two day trip with no charging points on the way. Started with a full battery. 95% motorway, mostly with the cruise control pinned to 76 mph. From the on-board computer:
Total trip: 434.9 miles @ 46.9 mpg ('hybrid auto' for first 200 miles, completely emptying the battery)
Last stretch of this 434.9 miles trip: 193.3m @ 43.9 mpg ('hybrid hold' - start and finish with 2 miles battery power left)

Was hoping to get nearer to 50 mpg when only using the ICE in hybrid hold mode. Perhaps it will improve when it is run in.

Any other experiences?

Another long distance trip this weekend resulted in following figures.
Total 427.1 miles @ 48.4 mpg (starting with 30 miles charge in the battery, EV mode then hybrid hold.)
Last 210.1 miles of this trip @ 46.3 mpg (hybrid hold)

Fuel consumption getting better after about 1000 miles in the e-tron. :)
Battery would only charge to 24 miles after this. :cry:

49.9 mpg (uk) over 150 miles in hybrid hold mode. About half of the miles on motorway, rest mixed.
On pure electric my record is 24 miles. Making sure the cabin is pre-heated and battery still warm from charging. Outside temperature around 10 Celcius.

Leon":3p44jayp said:
49.9 mpg (uk) over 150 miles in hybrid hold mode. About half of the miles on motorway, rest mixed.
On pure electric my record is 24 miles. Making sure the cabin is pre-heated and battery still warm from charging. Outside temperature around 10 Celsius.

Thanks, great real life information. What is the typical range for EV only and what is the reduced performance like in EV only? So about 50 F as we use in the States... :)

Typical miles i get out of a full charge ranges between 21 and 24 miles. This is driving 13 miles in the morning when it is about 5C and back in the evening when it's around 12C on average.

I haven't realy pushed it in EV mode as i am trying to get the most out of a charge. In pure EV mode the car has around 100 bhp. Torque is available immediately so it can pull away quite rapidly from standstill.

Did another run in hybrid hold mode. 48.4 mpg over 103 miles. Mainly motorways. This would be 40.3 mpg in the US as the imperial gallon is 20% larger.

Back