hitch for bike carrier

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. It's the angle pieces on each side that doesn't clear the muffler properly. The rest fits really well.

Ok, so last question. If the center bar was wider so that the side plates could drop down vertically, would that clear the exhaust better?

If the brackets dropped straight down, they would most likely clear the muffler. It seems the best design would be to have it drop straight down and maybe have those pieces moved a bit closer to the bolt holes. That would ensure it would clear it all.

c76man":v03ylu7y said:
If the brackets dropped straight down, they would most likely clear the muffler. It seems the best design would be to have it drop straight down and maybe have those pieces moved a bit closer to the bolt holes. That would ensure it would clear it all.
Good input. Here's why I ask - the Curt #11412 that you used is Curt's current offering for 2015+ Golf/GTI (except Golf R with the center exit exhaust). But the offering that it replaced (#11355) is still available from some suppliers, and first glance looked like it may have addressed the exhaust clearance problem.

But more looking and measuring makes me think that this one might interfere with at least one of the pair of exhaust tips. So this might not be the answer either. Here's a link to the instructions for the 11355.

http://b.cdnbrm.com/images/info/curt/11355.pdf

Still researching the options...

It's tough to say if the old generation would clear the exhaust tip. It's all really tight in there, so you can't really tell from just the diagram. It looks like the geometry is somewhat different overall, so it may not clear the bumper as well.

c76man":18zgn3ni said:

WOW, the install looks really clean from behind the vehicle. Too bad there are so many fitment issues to overcome. :(

After some careful measuring and mock ups under the car, I have decided that the older model won't clear the exhaust tips by quite a bit. So the much lesser interference shown in the pictures from c76man seems easier to deal with. Therefore I ordered a Curt 11412 yesterday, it should be delivered late next week. I will be away over the holiday weekend, but will attempt the install early the following week. I have an idea or two to try on the exhaust bit, will post results here once I go through the process.

My Curt #11412 arrived this morning, much quicker than expected. I installed it this afternoon. Nothing new to add. I had hopes that I might be able to space the exhaust hangers down lower so as to allow the muffler to clear the hitch side plates, but in reality I'd need to lower it a full inch or more. So that's not a great alternative either. Still thinking about this now.

One new thought - some sellers offer this hitch with different ball mounts for a few dollars extra. I don't know about the other ball options, but for our cars I'd pass on the 1 7/8" euro ball mount. The ball is too close to the bumper cover on these cars, I doubt there is sufficient room for a hitch with that ball mounted.

As noted by c76man, this unit does fit, but is still not ideal.

Great news for everyone out there wanting to add a hitch- I just installed the Curt #11412 on my 2017 e-tron. No issues at all! No heat shield to trim, no extra hands needed. I think I could have installed it without even dropping the exhaust.

I'm not certain what changed between the 2016 and 2017 models, but I would recommend the #11412 without reservation.

Hey jelhardt,

That's great news for us 2017 owners, so thanks!

Do you have any pictures you can share?

Just ordered mine.

Regards
Ferster

jelhardt":26qy1wnf said:
Great news for everyone out there wanting to add a hitch- I just installed the Curt #11412 on my 2017 e-tron. No issues at all! No heat shield to trim, no extra hands needed. I think I could have installed it without even dropping the exhaust.

I'm not certain what changed between the 2016 and 2017 models, but I would recommend the #11412 without reservation.

Hello all,

A little update. I received my Curt 11412 hitch today, so wanted to see how the fit worked by holding in place before adding the spacers. Getting the hitch in without dropping the exhaust was simple enough with two sets of hands. However, when holding in place over the holes, the hitch sides touched the edge of the exhaust at the curve part nearest the horizontal bar. It may be a case that the spacers will drop it just enough not to touch.

Jelhardt, is that what you found?

If the answer is yes, I will go ahead and attach to the car.

Thanks!
Ferster

jelhardt":dd7etu1t said:
I'll try to get some photos up this weekend.

THANKS for @rossman for dong the research for the Curt #11412,at least the 2016 has a solution.Odd how the 2017 required no mods.

@ferster , any pictures,updates? My Hidden Hitch 60368 almost one year later has worked great.I didn't want to mess with the heat shield.Instead, had my welder drill a hole on each side of the body frame to accommodate the fit.

http://imgur.com/zxObPK0

Thanks for all the contributions above. Mine is a 2017 ETron Sportback and I too was quite disappointed in the lack of Audi USA support for a hitch mount for a bicycle rack. My 2012 TDI Sportback was recalled/returned and I really missed the bike rack. UHaul tech center in Phoenix offered to custom build a hitch but after several months wait I gave up and bought the Curt 11412. I got some help jacking up the back end of car about 6 inches and with jack stands and a creeper was quite easy to install with no need to trim or modify the vehicle in any way. The frame holes are obvious and easy to find.
HOWEVER, I would not say that the fit was good as it made significant contact with the muffler on both sides. I didn't want to risk damaging the exhaust so I "relieved" metal from the bracket until satisfactory clearance was achieved (3-4mm all around). This took probably 5 cycles of instal/remove/grind/paint until I was happy (my family was out of town). In one area I probably removed 15-20mm of metal which may represent 20-25% of the original bracket width. I think the bracket is very overbuilt but will need to monitor and reinforce as needed.
Overall, not a good bracket in my opinion unless you're ready to do some mods. This was about a 3-4 hour job for me and may require wielding reinforcements later on.
Maybe someone in Phoenix area can get on wait list for UHaul Tech Center to build custom hitch and then we can all buy one and instal in 30 minutes.

http://imgur.com/a/fpUCi

A little update.

On my 2017 model (Canada), the Curt hitch touches both sides of the exhaust. I agree with ChrisO about this not being a viable option in its current format, so have removed. I certainly don't have the confidence of shaving off some of the hitch to make it fit.

Back to the drawing board for me!

Ferster

Update on the Curt hitch. I will also be removing the hitch because the muffler is banging on the hitch every time we hit a bump, despite the 3mm clearance.

:D
UHAUL has scheduled me for a custom hitch that will then be the basis for a production model that can be bought from any UHAUL hitch center. They need my car for a week and then about 6 weeks later the production model will be available. I'll give them the Curt as a starting point - maybe it wasn't totally in vain.

I'll report back first week of May how it went

ChrisO":u3o5etyw said:
Update on the Curt hitch. I will also be removing the hitch because the muffler is banging on the hitch every time we hit a bump, despite the 3mm clearance.

:D
UHAUL has scheduled me for a custom hitch that will then be the basis for a production model that can be bought from any UHAUL hitch center. They need my car for a week and then about 6 weeks later the production model will be available. I'll give them the Curt as a starting point - maybe it wasn't totally in vain.

I'll report back first week of May how it went

Hey ChrisO,

I was wondering if you had any luck yet?

Regards
Ferster

Well, UHaul needs the car for a week and I'm not really able to do that so I am going to keep my less than perfect hitch on and further modify it. The muffler is too wide for the bracket so I'm trimming more steel off the non-drive side and will reinforce.
If someone out there happens to live near Phoenix - contact UHaul through their hitch website and they'll get you in.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I take possession of my A3 on Friday- I read thru this thread hoping there'd be a resolution at this stage. not sure what I'm going to do about bikes if I can't get a hitch.

Dealer said their service dept has added hitched onto cars. If I gave them the Curt #11412, would they be able to modify it for install? The car is a lease, so I'd need them to do it otherwise I might be up the creek later.

Back