What's your next EV?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangtime10

For many of us the A3 e-tron was our intro into EV motoring. This was my 1st EV and I truly love the experience.
At the time of my decision, I knew there would be more EV's on the market by 2020. I then decided to lease my e-tron for 4 years and when the time comes to hand it back, I'd have more selections to choose from.
Well, it turns out that we do have more choices, with increased range, performance and pretty much better in every way.

Now I have about 22 months left before I need to make a decision on my next car. I've been very happy with driving an EV, albeit an PHEV, over the past 26 months. Question is, what do I need to consider? What is it that we need from an EV? Some folks are more knowledgeable than others.

If you've leased your car, are you willing to buy it out or look for something new?

What do you take into consideration?
For me it would be:
- a minimum of 200 km AER, prefer 250 - 300
- comfortably seats 5 (need more room than the A3 offers)
- realistically/reasonably priced

What are you considering as your next EV?
My short list would be (not in order of preference):
- VW eGolf
- Hyundai Ioniq electric
- Nissan LEAF
- Kia Soul EV
- Honda Clarity EV

I just came from an e-Golf to the A3 e-Tron, the e-Tron was the car I wanted originally but wasn't out at the time when I was looking (Nov 2015). The e-Golf has served me well - decent pickup especially off the line (faster than the e-Tron to 30mph) but after that the e-Tron takes over and is faster to 60mph - this is just personal observation/feel, haven't actually measured. The e-Golf feels like a "golf cart" fun and light. The e-Tron feels more refined.

In terms of fit and finish, the e-Tron is definitely a step above. Real Leather, a sunroof, and the MMI are great! I actually had a Tesla M3 on order and for a number of reasons gave it up in favor of the e-Tron.

The eGolf is became available in Canada last year and I was able to take one for a test drive at an EVent. I thought it drove pretty much like any Golf (albeit in silence). The steering feel, controls and overall build quality were very nice. Drove the Bolt immediately after and found the interior quality of the Bolt a fair bit lower than the VW.
I'm not completely sold on the Telsa M-3 yet. Maybe I'll wait for the Gen 2 and hopefully they will have a lot of the quality issues resolved.
As a daily driver, I think the eGolf would be ideal. Has the range, the price is reasonable (to cheap - if the Ontario incentive is still around) and, from pretty much every review, fun to drive.

As a primary commuter car the e-Golf has been great. I had a GTI 2 cars ago and it was more or less on par (although the GTI felt tighter), the pickup makes it fun. Did you drive it for a while at 100km/h+? this is where I found it lacking a little. The softer tires and the engine made it feel a little squirly, I always felt like it was struggling to push beyond 110km/h (70mph here), whereas the A3 cruises along quite comfortably.

I'm with you on the M3 which is definitely factored into my cancelled reservation I had. Sounds like you have lots of time though - in 22 months Tesla should have proven itself. I had to make a decision this year.

Hey all,

Been driving the e-tron since February last year. Still cannot believe I have only filled up 8 times and done 15,000 kms! Hard to give the car up, but just paid the deposit for the new e-tron all electric.

Will update as news follows!

niloch":y05hf1hi said:
As a primary commuter car the e-Golf has been great. I had a GTI 2 cars ago and it was more or less on par (although the GTI felt tighter), the pickup makes it fun. Did you drive it for a while at 100km/h+? this is where I found it lacking a little. The softer tires and the engine made it feel a little squirly, I always felt like it was struggling to push beyond 110km/h (70mph here), whereas the A3 cruises along quite comfortably.

I'm with you on the M3 which is definitely factored into my cancelled reservation I had. Sounds like you have lots of time though - in 22 months Tesla should have proven itself. I had to make a decision this year.

Hi niloch
Did you get your M3 yet? If you have, I'd love to hear your opinion of the car. As everyone has their opinions, I'd like to know what you think of it.
I've joined a TM3 Canada group on FB and they're all praising the car. I've even had the chance to speak to a few owners in person, meeting one very nice couple who were happy to show me their car (even took me for a short drive). The car is pretty special.
I'm seriously considering getting one when my lease is up in 2020.

I just had to answer that question myself. I still have and love my A3 etron (just passed 20k miles), but our Prius is on its last leg. We were in line for a Tesla Model 3 (based on the charger network), but in the end decided for a 3 year lease on the Bolt EV - which takes us to 2022 when we can decide among a lot more cars and better charging infrastructure.

My lease is up in August. Right now, I'm thinking of buying it outright. I figure low 20's for this car is a better deal than what I'd pay for anything else right now. I don't want full EV (like my road trips too much). I've flirted with going back to ICE, mainly the Golf All-Track or maybe the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. About the only thing I'd want is a little more room (came from the Jetta Sportwagen TDI).

But if I had to today, I'd buy the car.

My lease is up in January. Coming in fast.

I would love a pure EV. The Model 3 is at the top of my list, followed by a Hyundai Kona. But my etron has s3 wheels, subwoofer install and lowered, so I did quite a bit to it. Also, when the lease is up, it will be a "bargain" at mid 20's. These are the pros and cons and seem to be weighing each other out.

So it comes down essentially to... which one do I want? Or in other words... which one is sexier? Tough call. What do you think?

Update on my port from July 2017:

after I ordered my Bolt GM was clearly not motivated to sell me that car. I finally cancelled my order and within 10 days had a Model 3 LR AWD delivered to my doorstep ... NEVER LOOKED BACK :D

My lease is up early Jan 2020. My company has agreed for me to go full EV.

The Audi is far too expensive but I have managed to just squeeze a Model3 SR into my budget, it's on order :D

Back