2018 Production On Hold?

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraktl

Received information from a Canadian dealership about 2018 model production being put on hold. No additional information was provided. Anyone else heard this and has more information?

This note was at the top of the page that detailed the trim levels options available when I placed my order for a 2018 model year (my order was placed in July).

"2018 A3 Sportback e-tron (delayed to August production)"

The Production Complete date 08/24/2017 (ETA)

Maybe it'll be significant update or in Audi-speak a "new version" when you get delivery.
Keeping fingers crossed that the battery will be bigger and you'll have more AER available.

From what I heard the 2018 model year will not be a significant change.

Very minor;
- include a plastic holder/mount for the charger
- 2 USB ports
- heated steering wheel (non-sport version)

No changes to battery capacity.

No significant changes to the 2018 model. In Canada, they changed the Technology package to include the High Beam Assist feature. They already refreshed the 2017 models, so 2018 models will essentially be the same as 2017 models.

I do note the video on the Canadian site is saying up to 31 miles - did I read that wrong? It is in the last video on the Canadian website about halfway through the video ... The Canadian site does not allow for you to 'build' an etron right now .... I ordered mine beginning of May and no updated ETA ..... and was given a Sept 30th ETA when I placed the order. If we get a few bonus kilometres with the 2018 that would be great!

In Canada Audi may be able to publicize the EU range rating rather than the 16 mi. US EPA rating. I think the EU rating is 31 km, not miles. Call it 19-20 miles.

diverjud":25kgu7mh said:
The Canadian site does not allow for you to 'build' an etron right now

I noticed that too last week and thought it was odd. Checked every other model on the site and they can be built, so no idea why they disabled this for the e-tron. Hopefully it's not a bad omen.

Is it possible that Canada has reached its annual allotment of 200 etrons and Audi is not allowing any more for Canada until the next model year?

Just heard from my dealership..... well- it isn't any substantial news but at least it is a heads up: " there will be a corporate announcement within a week or so to clarify and to outline ETAs." So, we will see what the scoop is- hopefully!!

I just received an update that the production date has been delayed until October for the 2018 model year A3 Sportback e-tron.

All of the existing sold orders that are already allocated will be scheduled into production, but, they do not expect to allocate additional production spaces for arrival this calendar year.

It sounds like the car will not arrive in Canada until November/December

Had the same update "Distribution is unable to give us an exact production date as they are prioritizing sold units over stock units for production slots. There are currently over 100 sold units that are affected. They are telling us that they will be able to give us an eta in September."

Soooo... We put the deposit in on for the 2018 May 11th according to the dealer its about 3 months from manufacture day to get to Canada.
I'm inclined to think that it will be closer to end of January for me to have the keys in my hand.

mustgofaster":2adhbbee said:
I just received an update that the production date has been delayed until October for the 2018 model year A3 Sportback e-tron.

If this is true, then they are crazy. I ordered my e-tron in March (then a 2017 model) and have been patiently waiting for an August delivery, but now have no confidence that my car will arrive this year (if at all). I'll wait and see what my dealership says, but this does not sound good at all.

FWIW I ordered my 2017 in June 2016. We rolled off the lot together Dec 2016, 6 months and a day later. This is in Canada.
Don't buy this car if you have a tight timeline, unless you are lucky enough to find a cancelled order that fits your needs.

Ian

My Canadian dealership confirmed that production is delayed until October for the first orders made in 2017. Any new orders will only be produced in early 2018.

Announcement to the dealer has come through ...

“Dear Colleagues,
Please be advised that the 2018MY A3 Sportback e-tron is delayed. Start of production is currently pushed to mid-October 2017.

We understand that demand is high for this model and that dealer pipelines are mostly sold. We are continuing to work with Audi AG to prioritize Canadian production. This unforeseen situation affects the entire line up, including Progressiv and Technik trims.

Furthermore, due to this delay, all sold orders already allocated will be scheduled into production, but we do not expect to allocate new production spaces for arrival this year.
We apologize for the inconvenience this situation is causing.”

audi is not stupid, why would they market a car for 2018 that gets only 16 miles plug in when they got stuck with all the 2017 models.they cant compete with the other ev,s that get a little more range that are coming out. They know electric is going to to change the industry quickly so there in a bind. do we offer a car with a range of 100 to 200 ml plug in and risk our i.c.e. vehicle sales or cut our loses like Volvo and not offer combustion after 2019. big oil is keeping gas prices low so they can ride out that wave. Think about it if gas was 4.00$ they would announce the new estimated miles per charge, and start killing it with sales for ev,s. ROCK AND A HARD PLACE

hangtime10":3dth8lp9 said:
Maybe it'll be significant update or in Audi-speak a "new version" when you get delivery.
Keeping fingers crossed that the battery will be bigger and you'll have more AER available.
That's there only solution offer an upgrade even if you have to pay a few thousand more for a bigger battery

I ordered my 2018 model in July. The dealer tells me that my delivery date has been pushed back from October until March. Build date is 3rd week of January. Perhaps Audi is waiting to see if the US tax "reform" effort ends up continuing the current government's direction of attacking the environment and helping big carbon. Without that tax credit, the production rates would definitely need to be adjusted.

Back