Audi A3 e-Tron most likely to retain value over next 4 years

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiman

According to German automotive magaine AutoBild, and market research institute Schwacke, the Audi A3 Sportback e-Tron plug-in hybrid is the current model year compact car most likely to retain its value over the next 4 eyars.

The predicted residual value of 57.3% 4 years after purchase is the highest out of 40 vehicles from 14 different automakers.

Based on the same Volkswagen MQB platform as the rest of the 2015 Audi A3 and 2015 Volkswagen Golf family, the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron features the same plug-in hybrid drivetrain found in the Volkswagen Golf GTE.
Yup, we know

In the past few years, we’ve noticed a similar trend among other plug-in cars: electric cars like the Nissan LEAF seem to suffer the highest depreciation, while plug-in hybrid models are less likely to sting the original buyer after a few years of use.

In the case of the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron however, its performance edge, everyday practicality, normal-looks, luxury name badge and high fuel efficiency are enough to ensure that it beats many more quirky plug-in cars.
Hmm, the pure EV guys would not like being called 'quirky' haha

A3e130129_large-580x387.jpg

Well I'm checking this out at the moment. Waiting on an offer of the leasecompany for the A3 e-tron, in order to check if the e-tron stays within company budget, curious on their value retention hypothesis.

That'd be awesome! And quite a flip for the A3 (isn't it historically one of the worst cars for value retention in it's range?). With the tax credit maybe it'll lease around $400!

I took a hard look at the Audi before buying my now sold tdi sportwagen. Space was a problem, but the real tipper IIRC was 5 year total cost of ownership. Value sunk like a stone 1-5 years out.

I feel a little spanked by the Sportwagen too - it's making me a convert to leasing. I really like avoiding the capital risk.

Yep, I think that's true for some of the line here too. The A3 is a low volume/demand car.

iirc from looking at them in 2011, you could own an A4 for less than an A3 (tco) because depreciation was so bad. This did adversely impact lease rates too.

so much for the 'high' (57%) residual value expectation! Audi set a value of 49% after a 42 month period. Guess they are not expecting a large enough interest in the eTron or perhaps not so confident in their battery life and other components. Or maybe they thought that with the $4200 tax rebate factored in, they could drop the residuals and charge more for the lease.

Picking up my 2016 a3 e-tron Prestige today and the residual is a lowly 47% on a 36-mo lease. Ugh...

CPO 2016's with 5-12K miles are re-selling for around $29,000 right now.
Everything that plugs in depriciates more rapidly,

bruintoo":3bbv7rfg said:
Watsongrg":3bbv7rfg said:
CPO 2016's with 5-12K miles are re-selling for around $29,000 right now.
Everything that plugs in depriciates more rapidly,
Really? Lowest I have found is $34K at least:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... Records=25
Which seems favorable in my case. My Premium with nav cost me $39k. Less $4k for tax credit is $35k net. If I could sell now with the 4K miles on it for $34k or more, I'm good.

Search Results
1/574 Listings Next
Print

image:
Used 2016 Audi A3 e-tron 1.4T Premium
https://www.cstatic-images.com/supersiz ... 8f603a.jpg
image: https://www.cstatic-images.com/supersiz ... eb7bb9.jpg
Activity on this listing (last 30 days)
1 Email
2 Saves
$29,946 12,019 mi.
SAVE
Additional Information
Estimate Payments
Get a CARFAX Report Research the 2016 Audi A3 e-tron

Read more at https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... FePAfYZ.99

Interesting, but immaterial in my case. I plan to drive this car for at least the entire 8 year battery warranty period. As we approach that mark, I will evaluate the possible replacement possibilities. Resale value over that period of time is an open question that currently has no answer.

Back