Audi e-tron to lose California rebate

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredT

I spotted an item on the Union of Concerned Scientists blog regarding new California climate legislation. The most important item for prospective Audi A3 e-tron buyers is that the $1500 California rebate will not be available for plug-in hybrids that have less than 20 miles of electric-only range. So unless the 2017s miraculously come in with an EPA range of 20 miles or better, the rebate is gone.

I wonder if they could coax a few more miles out of the battery. Seems like Audi is pretty conservative on the battery consumption (to keep reserve for boost?), so maybe a reprogram could be possible.

I applied successfully for the California rebate last week. The good news is that my E-tron qualifies. The bad news is there isn't money in the state budget at this time. So I'm on a "waiting list" dependent upon the legislature approving the budget addition.

clarkaddison":da43v19c said:
I applied successfully for the California rebate last week. The good news is that my E-tron qualifies. The bad news is there isn't money in the state budget at this time. So I'm on a "waiting list" dependent upon the legislature approving the budget addition.
New funding was approved, but it is anticipated that checks won't start going out until December. All the remaining 2016 cars should get the rebate, but 2017's probably will not.

the sticker for the 2016 and 2017 say 24 miles so should be good. I got my approval but also on the wait list.

My application for a rebate on a 2016 model purchased in early October has been approved by CA and they state that funding is available. Just waiting for the check. Hope I don't need to prove 24 miles EV (mEV?) to get it.

cbdrake":alkt73um said:
the sticker for the 2016 and 2017 say 24 miles so should be good. I got my approval but also on the wait list.

jumper":6wzsi09l said:
My application for a rebate on a 2016 model purchased in early October has been approved by CA and they state that funding is available. Just waiting for the check. Hope I don't need to prove 24 miles EV (mEV?) to get it.

cbdrake":6wzsi09l said:
I'm sure you'll get your rebate regardless, but what is this 24 miles EV number? EPA number for both 2016 and 2017 is 16 miles.

For what it's worth, the 2017 model is currently listed as eligible. I'll have to wait until November 1 (the supposed cutoff date) to see if it stays or not. I don't expect my car to arrive until near end of December.

FredT":24st15es said:
jumper":24st15es said:

cbdrake":24st15es said:
I'm sure you'll get your rebate regardless, but what is this 24 miles EV number? EPA number for both 2016 and 2017 is 16 miles.

For what it's worth, the 2017 model is currently listed as eligible. I'll have to wait until November 1 (the supposed cutoff date) to see if it stays or not. I don't expect my car to arrive until near end of December.

Well, the "ultra" (16" wheels) is rated for 17 miles, so now you only need 3 more miles. :)

rfortson":b7r46hlo said:
Well, the "ultra" (16" wheels) is rated for 17 miles, so now you only need 3 more miles. :)
No "Ultra" for 2017. :? I'm still curious about what jumper and cbdrake are taking about with 24 miles.

I also got a notice from California that my $1500 has been approved and will arrive around December.

When fully charged, my e-tron screen reads 24 miles of electric power. In real life, after 2 months, about 16 to 17 is the norm.

I'm not sure where 24 miles comes from except the dashboard predictor. According to my vehicle sticker, the car uses 40 kWh/100 miles (.4/m). The nice lady from the Audi Customer experience checked with her technical colleagues for me and said there are 7 kWh usable. That would be 17.5 miles, assuming 7 is really 7.0 kWh and not rounded up.

Just thought I'd share that I bought a 2017 A3 etron right before 10/31 and recently received confirmation that my application for the CA rebate was approved. Thus, the 2017 DOES qualify for the $1500 rebate.

jumper":86jnzvrm said:
I'm not sure where 24 miles comes from except the dashboard predictor. According to my vehicle sticker, the car uses 40 kWh/100 miles (.4/m). The nice lady from the Audi Customer experience checked with her technical colleagues for me and said there are 7 kWh usable. That would be 17.5 miles, assuming 7 is really 7.0 kWh and not rounded up.

The actual figure is supposed to be 6.6kWh usable; I'm trying to find a definitive source for that figure.

I received the $1500 rebate check on 1/27/17 for my 2017 e-tron after submitting my request on 11/2/16.

I also got my $1500 check last week after submitting it in early November 2016.

Still waiting for DMV to send me my green decals after 2 denials, but that's a whole other thread....

revaric":2rc5gbbs said:
jumper":2rc5gbbs said:
The actual figure is supposed to be 6.6kWh usable; I'm trying to find a definitive source for that figure.

The tax refund paperwork from my dealer last year said 6.6 KWh for a 2016 e-tron.

I applied for the rebate on December 22, 2016 for a 2017 e-tron. Yesterday, they sent the email confirming the check for $1500 has been cut.

Back