New Calif. Audi A3 ETON Sportsback owner- Need help folks

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anandsun

Leased the Audi A3 Etron sportsback last week and will be thankful if you can guide me with a bunch of things:

I am based in Bay Area- Fremont.

1) Can I apply for the Green stricker without the car being registered. It will take a couple weeks before i get the registration paperwork
2)I have read horror stories about Audi owners not getting the Green Sticker. Should I select Audi etron or eton sportsback?
3) The PGE $500 Rebate- can i apply with out the registration and license plate and it is only for electric cars or electric hybrid like Audi.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/s ... icles.page
4) Chargepoint give $400 if get a home based level 2 charger with wifi. I wonder if I can get both the PGE -$500 rebate and also $400 from Chargepoint.

http://info.chargepoint.com/CASubmeterP ... fgodUiIIEQ

Folks- Need some guidance here- please assist.

I edited the thread title to make it more obvious to other California owners.

Welcome! I'm a 2017 etron owner also in the Bay Area.

In reply to your questions:

- The website said you had to have your license plate first, so I waited. I have a thread about the HUGE headache with CA DMV as they rejected my application for the decals twice now. I bought my car before Halloween, got the license plate before Thanksgiving and have mailed my application in THREE TIMES now. My check was just cashed last week and I'm still waiting for the stickers. I urge you to print out the CARB website, highlight the 2017 Audi Etron (proving that it is indeed approved for green decals), and include that with your application.

- Select Audi Etron. At least that's what I did and I think my stickers are en route since they finally cashed my check (dated 11/20/16!).

- I applied for the rebate after I got my license plate. Plus, the website asks you for the Registration info.

- I can't answer the last question as I didn't bother to install a 240V charging station. I just charge it overnight.

Thank you for your answers. Its definitely helpful. Waiting for registration and license plate is for PGE rebate. Is it the same for the Green Sticker?

One last question- I am based in Bay Area and I plan to go with Plan B in the PGE EV Plan. That means that I have to install the a new meter. Can you let me know the approval process with PGE and the total cost to install it (i am looking for a range)

Regards
Anand

anandsun":3a2fz6vj said:
Thank you for your answers. Its definitely helpful. Waiting for registration and license plate is for PGE rebate. Is it the same for the Green Sticker?

One last question- I am based in Bay Area and I plan to go with Plan B in the PGE EV Plan. That means that I have to install the a new meter. Can you let me know the approval process with PGE and the total cost to install it (i am looking for a range)

Regards
Anand

Adding a second meter for EV-B cost me about $1000 for permits and parts, doing the work myself. YMMV with an electrician and how accessible your current service entry (meter) is to where you need the EV plug. My service is on the side of the garage, so I had to open up the walls and some ceiling, run wire up into the attic and down a wall in the front of the garage and then cut in an old work box/outlet where the front of the car lands.

At a minimum you will spend $125 to PG&E for the meter, $150 or so for a construction permit from your local city and or county, $125+ for a meter/panel, and then a bunch of little costs that add up quickly for breakers, wire, outlets, drywall repair, paint, caulking, electrical boxes, polaris plugs for tapping the existing service (if its overhead), maybe conduit, potentially an electrical "gutter" in which to make up the taps, etc., etc.

Think about your payback time based on your current marginal electric rate vs the EV-B rate. (See this post where I describe my EV-B installation -- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=377).

Don't attempt adding a second meter by yourself unless you have experience wiring a building and understand the electrical code and terminology. You can see what PG&E broadly requires by looking at the company's "Green Book," pge.com/greenbook. This covers the company's "service requirements" for electric and gas. See the Greenbook's Appendix B, Bulletin TD-7001B-002 for PEV Interconnection specifics.

The process is for you (or your electrician) to create an account at pge.com/customerconnections. A service planner will come out and assess the suitability of your current service to accommodate a second meter, e.g., the size of your transformer, the service entrance wiring, etc. You'll then need to bring drawings to your city or county permit agency describing your project, go through plan check, and pay for the permit. You then do the rough installation of the equipment and have it inspected by the permit agency. They will give you an approval to provide service that the utility will need.

Then, schedule with PG&E the disconnect/reconnect of the service from the house so the taps can be made ahead of your existing meter. If you have underground service, then I believe that PG&E will make up the taps in the "pull box" ahead of the meter to the wires you've installed for the purpose that feed your new meter. If you have overhead service then you'll need to cut the feeders and make up the taps yourself in a "gutter."

Once PG&E has "hot/glassed" the new meter socket following the disconnect/reconnect process and you have power back to the house, someone from the local meter shop will come out, look it all over again, and install your second meter. Then you can plug in your car.

Here's a view of my primary and new EV panels just before they plugged in the second meter. While I was at it, I added an external outlet below the meter panel (as shown), and also a second internal outlet on the wall behind the panel. That one will be at car rear left should I need one. The Audi outlet is a third one as I mentioned at the front of the garage. All three are 50 Amp 240V circuits with neutrals (NEMA 14-50) outlets and I have a 14-50 > 6-50 conversion pigtail for the Audi.
20170202_151744-1.jpg

anandsun":3e7k2bxz said:

Yes, having both reg and license plate seems to be required for the CA decals in most cases. At least that was my understanding of the rules. Some dealerships have been requesting and receiving the stickers BEFORE the license plate is issued, yet I have no idea how they do that. You can certainly try to send in your request without a license plate/DMV registration card, but it seems like it might be rejected per the DMV's website (FAQ question #6). There, it outlines how you can avoid delays and specifically notes you should make sure "you are in possession of a DMV issued registration card in your name."

Scroll to the FAQ here:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Back