2016 A3 etron tech Canadian FAIL

Audi A3 E-tron Forum

Help Support Audi A3 E-tron Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idk2016

@iang has the 2017 a3 etron,and can't use the Connect it shipped with, read their post.Their 2017, MMI includes a wifi antenna.

Guess I can now appreciate why Tesla has ~400000 reservations for its Model 3.

Dealership confirmed,and I wouldn't have purchased if I KNEW the Canadian 2016 A3 etron would ship without the MINIMAL capability for its MMI to be updated with firmware to at least offer the Smartphone interface :twisted: This feature shouldn't require anything more than its proprietary VW cable,or bluetooth to connect the MMI with :iOS CarPlay ,or Android Auto.Pathetic,making the 2016 Volt better with both tech.,and range?!Other brands that can offer better tech./connectivity : Ford,Kia, Hyundai in the same model year. All European,and U.S. A3 etrons have both Connect,and the Smartphone interface in a car that shipped from the same Ingolstadt factory. VW Canada ships with App-Connect for the 2016 Golf,Beetle, Passat,Tiguan,and Jetta. Clearly it's not a mobile network issue,you just need a SIM to run connected features.

I personally would like to use a smartphone interface to run Google maps' advanced features,and music apps.through the MMI. Being able to know when your car's unplugged while not using a public EVCS, or being able to pre cool,heat your car are features an "electrified," 2016 Audi should be capable of.The latter saves you from losing range since you're plugged in while it happens.Don't care about Connect given it seems unreliable.

idk2016":22ghw3yh said:
@iang has the 2017 a3 etron,and can't use the Connect it shipped with, read their post.Their 2017, MMI includes a wifi antenna.

Guess I can now appreciate why Tesla has ~400000 reservations for its Model 3.

Dealership confirmed,and I wouldn't have purchased if I KNEW the Canadian 2016 A3 etron would ship without the MINIMAL capability for its MMI to be updated with firmware to at least offer the Smartphone interface :twisted: This feature shouldn't require anything more than its proprietary VW cable,or bluetooth to connect the MMI with :iOS CarPlay ,or Android Auto.Pathetic,making the 2016 Volt better with both tech.,and range?!Other brands that can offer better tech./connectivity : Ford,Kia, Hyundai in the same model year. All European,and U.S. A3 etrons have both Connect,and the Smartphone interface in a car that shipped from the same Ingolstadt factory. VW Canada ships with App-Connect for the 2016 Golf,Beetle, Passat,Tiguan,and Jetta. Clearly it's not a mobile network issue,you just need a SIM to run connected features.

I personally would like to use a smartphone interface to run Google maps' advanced features,and music apps.through the MMI. Being able to know when your car's unplugged while not using a public EVCS, or being able to pre cool,heat your car are features an "electrified," 2016 Audi should be capable of.The latter saves you from losing range since you're plugged in while it happens.Don't care about Connect given it seems unreliable.

Audi Connect and e-tron connect are two different services (I'm in California). I don't have Audi Connect (I didn't get the tech package) but I am still able to to use e-tron connect services such as scheduled charging, remote climate control, park position, etc. The SIM for e-tron connect service is built-in to every e-tron.

-Ben

@bruintoo , sadly,the 2016 Audi A3 etron Canada has a stripped tech.package,and lacks even the basic connect package you speak of. Just logged into myaudi before responding,in case I missed something.NOTHING,no widgets to add to the AudiMMIConnect app.I do note the app mentions something about wifi,I don't have this function in my MMI. Super sad.

idk2016":16uz2yi9 said:
@bruintoo , sadly,the 2016 Audi A3 etron Canada has a stripped tech.package,and lacks even the basic connect package you speak of. Just logged into myaudi before responding,in case I missed something.NOTHING,no widgets to add to the AudiMMIConnect app.I do note the app mentions something about wifi,I don't have this function in my MMI. Super sad.

Are you sure? The app is called "Audi A3 e-tron connect app" not AudiMMIConnect app for the USA. Also the website is not the "myaudi" website but this:
https://etron.audiusa.com/web/aucwp/login

@bruintoo, the Audi A3 e-tron connect app exists,but it doesn't show up in Google Play because it's not compatible with my Android device which runs Marshmallow,so current .I had to search for the A3 etron connect app via a browser because it wouldn't show up in Google Play.Back to,a 2016 electrified car isn't connected in the Canadian market under a "premium" label. 2017 A3 etron's connected features aren't "functioning" as @iang noted in their post.

This app.runs on your mobile without wifi,you just connect via the proprietary Audi cable? At minimal,I just want Android Play, or iOS CarPlay to work.Something that's available,and supported with the Canadian VW models I listed in my post.

idk2016":3ac5xwpg said:
@bruintoo, the Audi A3 e-tron connect app exists,but it doesn't show up in Google Play because it's not compatible with my Android device which runs Marshmallow,so current .I had to search for the A3 etron connect app via a browser because it wouldn't show up in Google Play.Back to,a 2016 electrified car isn't connected in the Canadian market under a "premium" label. 2017 A3 etron's connected features aren't "functioning" as @iang noted in their post.

This app.runs on your mobile without wifi,you just connect via the proprietary Audi cable? At minimal,I just want Android Play, or iOS CarPlay to work.Something that's available,and supported with the Canadian VW models I listed in my post.

I think we're talking about two different things here. You want Audi Connect internet services for your A3. I believe this is not available in Canada. However, the e-tron connect services, I thought are available in all markets including Canada.

And like I said, I have a 2016 Premium Plus e-tron without tech or navi and able to use the iPhone/iOS version Audi A3 e-tron connect app (this is not an app to use while driving it is for remote functions). It does have it's problems. But I attribute it to 3G Verizon Telematics that the e-tron uses to communicate. Our 2016 e-trons do not have iOS CarPlay or Android Play available.

-Ben

Everything I have read, mainly in this forum but also elsewhere on the net, confirms that 2016 Etron's have ZERO mobile connectivity in Canada. Nothing new was promised for us on the 2017, but as I noted they at least have the SIM card slot, which the 2016's did not.

The MMi connect app is very limited as well (I've only used the Android version) and gives really two features, parking locator and Internet streaming. I haven't even bothered trying them, as they are useless to me so I deleted the app. The Audi A3 e-tron connect app, which you can find googling, shows as unavailable in my country when I try to force it on my phone.

It does seem pretty confusing that there is a separate Etron app, Audi should just have one car app that provides functionality based on the car you register in it. Seems they are still catching up to the world of mobile app integration.

At least it is an enjoyable electric car to drive, it's core function.. but people are demanding more and more on the technology side of their vehicles, and there's clearly a lot of room for improvement here.

Ian

Back